PDA

View Full Version : Cricketers v Footballers

Navajo8686
15th Sep 2005, 11:54
Being a non-cricket loving person I've been very amused with all the column inches devoted to the English (and Australian) cricket teams over the last couple of days.

A repeated 'clarion call' from the front pages has been the "Why don't our footballers behave like our cricketers do?".

What do they mean? There have been pages of news and hours of airtime dedicated to which cricketer may - or may not have damaged a vital muscle (just like footballers), they've not all been 'jolly hockey sticks' - there's been some good close-ups of fielders swearing (just like footballers), most of them *appear* to have blond wives/girlfriends (just like footballers) and they did appear to get very, very drunk after winning (just like footballers but footballers don't always win - well my team at least!). The crowds looked pretty tanked up to.

Is it really a gentlemen v oiks debate?

Are they really that different or does it just suit the media to portray them so?*

:D

Some footballers - irrespective of talent - do not stand up to any comparision (Mr. Rooney....)

mazzy1026
15th Sep 2005, 12:08
Cricketers never ever argue with the umpire, and his decision is always respected - something which you can say for football ??

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Sep 2005, 12:11
Well I don't follow either sport, but my impression is that footballers are generally loutish and loud (and all that juvenile running around pretending to be aeroplanes, etc, on scoring a goal). Cricketers seem much more mature in comparison.

I live quite close to our local cricket and football fields. In football season, the sounds that waft over from there are agressive shouting, swearing, and ugly chants. In the cricket season, we get gentle applause, some cheering, and the gentle sound of leather on willow.

I know which I prefer.

SSD

lexxity
15th Sep 2005, 12:13
Cricketers congratulate the opposing team when they triumph. Like when freddie got his century.

Footballers are more likely to take lumps out of each other!

eal401
15th Sep 2005, 12:19
Well I don't follow either sport, but my impression is that footballers are generally loutish and loud (and all that juvenile running around pretending to be aeroplanes, etc, on scoring a goal). Cricketers seem much more mature in comparison.
Well, the first six words are amply proven by the rest! ;)

You haven't seen any of the film of cricketers celebrating on the field of play? Just like footballers! And the cricket crowds seems to be getting more and more "football" like too.

tony draper
15th Sep 2005, 12:24
Dont think there is anywhere near the money in cricket as there is in footyas yet, big money has ruined footy, just wait until some spotty oink cricketer has the potential to earn 10 million a year,and be a potential celeb, then you will see the spivs flocking to the game like flies round shite.

Biggles Flies Undone
15th Sep 2005, 14:14
OK I'll bite.

The difference is money.

Cricketers serve their apprenticeship, strive to achieve and (apart from the very big matches) play in front of crowds numbered in hundreds not thousands. A very good cricketer almost certainly earns less than a tenth of what his footballing counterpart would earn in an average career.

Top level cricketers take a battering - have no doubt about that - and given the choice would you rather face a tackle from Rooney or an anavoidable 96 mph bouncer from Brett Lee?

People pay more to watch 90 mins football than a days cricket so there you go.

teeteringhead
15th Sep 2005, 14:17
... and as I've said elsewhere before, in a test series of 4 or 5 matches, the average cricketer is on the field more than a Premiersh!t player is all season - that's even assuming any of them play the full 90 mins in all games (unlikely).......

Binoculars
15th Sep 2005, 14:17
If you'd been following a football team for 18 years and it won its first match in that time, you'd get pissed too!

Navajo8686
15th Sep 2005, 14:41
Mr. Draper

I think by stating the obvious you may well have answered my question!

Now why didn't I think of that.......

There was a lot of hugging and kissing going on though:ugh: