PDA

View Full Version : Childhood memories..

timmcat
15th Sep 2005, 09:26
No particular order.

Lamb chops from the village butcher on Tuesdays.

Mum getting cheesed off if the weekly family shop came to over £4.00

Pop and crisps from the 'offy' on Sunday evenings.

First day at school, wondering what the **** it was all about (and why I'd been abandoned)

Motocross on 'Grandstand' on Saturday afternoons.

The smell of leather in dads old Morris Oxford.

The name of the girl at school who taught me to tie my own shoelaces

Probably think of more later.....

Parapunter
15th Sep 2005, 09:30
I recall my old dad hand cranking the Wolsley every morning & skating down the frozen pavement one sunday night till mum called me in for tea & the Muppet Show. Happy days.:(

Avtrician
15th Sep 2005, 09:48
First day of school, Puckapunyal army camp in Victoria (SE Oz), went home at lunch time cos there were no tables to eat at.

Getting bitten by an attack of ants.

Falling off a horse twice, same afternoon.

Devlin Carnet
15th Sep 2005, 09:48
A bottle of pale ale, and a small plastic package containing two small biscuits, one pickled onion, and a small piece of cheese, Saturday night when my grandad came in from t'pub.

And playing in fields of hay in summer, getting really hot and itchy,
(when summers were hot and sunny)

phoenix son
15th Sep 2005, 09:58
Mum's home-made cheese pie (mmmmmm...)

"Kickstart" on TV after school

"Ski Sunday" on telly, whilst Mum did the ironing in the background (although why she was ironing shirts on the side of a mountain has always been a mystery to me...:E )

WALKING the mile or so to school every day (remember that, V8-powered 4-wheel drive owners?). It didn't hurt, it wasn't dangerous, we didn't die because of pollution etc...

My first "PROPER" kiss from a "PROPER" girlfriend...(14 years old, life was A LOT simpler then...)

effortless
15th Sep 2005, 10:10
The sound of aeroplanes droning in the distance, none of your nasty jetty things. The combine clanking over the fields and the smell of diesel mixed with grain and dust.

A sense that things were getting better and going to get even better.

A sense that being English was to be truly blessed by God. Ok that one really dates me but that is what we were brought up to believe. We had just won the war hadn't we?

N380UA
15th Sep 2005, 10:55
None. Successfully erased those memories!

HOGE
15th Sep 2005, 10:55
...jumpers for goalposts.

RiskyRossco
15th Sep 2005, 11:07
Oo-er, Amnesia Lane. . .

- Walking home in the dark after watching "Lost in Space" on neighbour's B&W telly. (They were one of the first with the newfangled technology.)

- Chewing on soft Golden Delicious apple while walking home in the dark. . .

- Arctic winters and shivering under blankets.

- Timeless Summers catching fish off the port wharf and cricket during school lunchtime.

so much fun :D

colmac747
15th Sep 2005, 11:07
Stopping bed wetting:rolleyes:

gatfield
15th Sep 2005, 11:24
Back when I was a kid;

We walked 10km to and from school.

And we didn't have shoes.

And we did it in the snow!! ;)

Avtrician
15th Sep 2005, 11:40
You lucky bugger, youhad feet & snow. We used to deam of snow we did.

Ooops here we go again.

Hat & coat, I know the drill.:E :\ :\

lexxity
15th Sep 2005, 12:04
Erm...it's going a bit peter kay in here!

Remember when a 10p mix up was a huge bag of sweets? Now your lucky if you get two sweets for 10p!

tall and tasty
15th Sep 2005, 12:32
And playing in fields of hay in summer, getting really hot and itchy,

A dear and fond childhood memory in conjunction with many others but in particular spending long summers in Greece where time used to stand still as we rummaged around ruins of temples etc looking for artifacts and then building sandcastles on white sandy beaches.

Chasing my grandfathers chickens around the run so Cook could collect the eggs to make the most amazing sandwiches and picking the largest tomatoes you had ever seen in the vegetable gardens, so we could help her stuff them with rice and pine nuts to go in the oven

But one of my fondest was watching the sunset whilst on the bridge box on an island jolly with my sister and listening to my parents talking about the sights we had seen that day.

My worst was sitting watching Dr Who which scared me everytime I watched it, the back wooden board on the boat where I thought sea monsters would come and grab me if I stood on it too long and the gaps between the wooden boards on Brighton Pier I was convinced I would fall through

TnT

Farrell
15th Sep 2005, 12:38
The basement - cold, wet, musty; just like the oatmeal I used to get once a day.

The feeling of exhilaration at being brought up for five minutes and given clothes to wear while the Child Services Inspector came round.

Then having my teddy taken away again.

And then the dark............

PerArdua
15th Sep 2005, 12:44
The corona man delivering dandelion and burdoch pop with a 2p return on the lid.

Bathnight on a Sunday night

Being allowed to touch the family music centre

Riding miles on our bikes all round the local countryside with no risk of getting run over/robbed/murdered

The test signal on the TV

Medium Wave and longwave radio at night

ZX80 being the only home computer you could get.

Not a care in the world, no stress, no debts etc

PA

Wanquer with a wig
15th Sep 2005, 12:50
:eek: :eek: :{ :{ :ugh: :\ :E

djk
15th Sep 2005, 12:50
being allowed to stay up late on a Friday night to watch the late night horror double-bill

Having half a bottle of Bull's Blood wine with Sunday dinner as my parents knew that it would shut me up and make me fall asleep around 8pm

my neighbour coming round each Friday to give a bag of sweets to me and my sister as he didn't have grandchildren he sort of adopted us.

Going to the bowls green with my other neighbours, helping him carry his bag of woods then getting paid 10p to help out making teas

Ace Rimmer
15th Sep 2005, 13:42
Apollo 11 (especially the part at the end when they were put in the isolation trailer)

The smell of a J-3 Cub…

…bouncing around in the same on a hot Texas afternoon and loving every second.

Being the only thing small enough to get all the way down the fuselage (to run an elevator cable) of Uncle R’s Luscombe 8 with a rope tied round my ankles so he and Old Man Rimmer could pull me back when I’d finished (talk about children up a chimney…did I mention it was about 100F outside at the time?)

First fumblings with a girl from our street in my tent set up in the back garden…

…then one night watching her dad leave for the moon

Trying to be Evel Knevel on my bicycle and breaking my leg really badly (compound tib/fib) but the worst part (apart from the being laid up for the best part of a year) all the slightly older boys with broken what nots had got them on motorcycles – not a bicycle…

Being in England in the winter (for the first time and thinking I died gone to hell and it had not frozen over but was rainy and dark to boot)

The pukka pukka sound of a marine diesel engine in the distance early on a still summer morning

The taste of salt water on my lips

The illicit thrill of buying 10 “No6” from a vending machine outside a shop ( for 20p!!)

The feeling of desolation at the end of the summer holidays

Trying to explain to PC Plod why I thought it was reasonable to skateboard on the Chichester bypass while being towed by my mate on his Gilera 50 (Courtsey of Bulmers it all seemed a good idea) – not that I was drinking you understand er…ummm…(did I mention that this was at around 0300 on a Sunday morning?)

After Assembly on a Thursday and seeing your name up for one of the XVs for Saturday (well never more than 2nd XV for me).

Any party (or disco) was a success if you pulled (ie got at least a snog and a grope) no matter what else happened – and a dismal failure if you didn’t

First pay packet £25 (summer job teaching sailing) and thinking while not thinking I was rich... thinking I was a pretty comfortable man of means…(and I was too what with the only outgoings being petroil for the Fizzy and fags and beer (I’m 18 honest…) and money for the village hall disco.

First love Dominka Selbherr – classic summer romance thing

First proper motorbike (250) and overtaking stuff after a year of being overtaken by everything but the geeky bloke on a Puch Maxi

Binoculars
15th Sep 2005, 13:55
I was hoping somebody else would re-post this link (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11556&highlight=days) but I will; not because this thread isn't worthwhile, but (a) because it's one of my favourite ever threads on JB and (b) it will still be of interest to those who post to this thread and weren't around when the original came out.

Carry on, youngsters, but give the original a look too.
:ugh:

Crieff-ite
15th Sep 2005, 14:24
Bigger Wagon Wheels and bigger Marathons (Not Snickers!!!)

frostbite
15th Sep 2005, 14:47
Sitting on a sandy riverbank with my best pal and opening our sandwiches and hard-boiled eggs in time to discover we had sat directly on a wasps nest and they were inside our clothes!

Running into the river to get rid of them and being charged 6d by miserable cow in village shop for onions to put on the stings. (we weren't allowed to go into shock in those days)

Mind you, there were better times too....

Taildragger55
15th Sep 2005, 15:02
Walking to school watching biplanes dog-fighting above me. (They used make a lot of war films in Weston when I was a kid.)
Or the vampire jets, Chipmunks, and (occasionally) Seafires the Air Corps used play with in the sixties.
Riding in the corn hopper of a combine harvester inches from spinning bits of deadly metal.
Driving tractors for the local farmer at the age of ten.
Racing clapped out 1950's motorbikes (all with Villiers engines) around the local fields.
Lying about my age at the age of 19 to do a parachute jump the day the IPC got their first plane.

Ah, the nostalgia. We had much better quality nostalgia in our day.

Gilera 50, Ace? Great little bike.

djk
15th Sep 2005, 15:07
I remember the previous thread, but it's amazing how much else you remember later on.

BombayDuck
15th Sep 2005, 15:12
Cricket (rubber) balls for two rupees. Now they cost fifteen.

bus tickets for 50 paise.

two trips toPune city every year. by train. The Deccan Queen.

watching GI Joe, and playing with it.

tom & jerry. still watch it.

Mind you, this was a little more than ten years ago :)

FliegerTiger
15th Sep 2005, 15:54
Dried white dog poo on street corners....

The phrase "You Joey"....

Being able to get girls just by saying "Will you go out with me?"...

Rainbow....

Stone fights....

My first kiss with the girl next door....

Farrell
15th Sep 2005, 16:29
Wellingtons

Snorkel Jackets

Treets

Marathon Bars

Soft Drinks in real bottles

A new LP

Recording it on a C90 for a mate

John Craven's Newsround

Big pencils from Blackpool

Eagle Eye Action Man

Thinking that A-ha were cool - and trying to dress like them

Long summer days camped out at the threshold of 23 at Dublin, with sandwiches wrapped in tin foil - looking up at the rivets and the undercarriage, and just dreaming........

God, there was nothing like it.

Lon More
15th Sep 2005, 16:41
Getting up at six in the morning to do a paper round, ice on the inside of the window in winter. After school delivering meat for the butcher on a delivery bike that seemed to weigh a ton unloaded (and all the customers lived at the top of hills)
But at least it helped me get my PPL. £8 an hour on one of Fred Pinchin's C150s with Phil Jeffrey as instructor ( he looked more like Brian Blessed than Brian Blessed did)

cessna l plate
15th Sep 2005, 16:55
What about Spangles????

Waiting for Dad to come home from work and then riding his motorbike up the drive for him.

sweets for half a penny

Going to see the planes at Manchester, standing on the terraces on top of the piers, and at the "old brickyard" round the back.

Not so happy memories, trips to the headmasters office. (Always came out with something sore!) Having a tooth out at the dentists, and walking home with a hankie over my face.

Happy days

tart1
15th Sep 2005, 17:05
I remember what a treat it was to have fizzy lemonade and crisps, maybe once a week. It's just an everyday thing now. :(

Oh yes and Spangles - whatever happened to them? They weren't around any more when my kids were little.

Also, later on, my first proper kiss (with tongues) at a party with a guy called Henry Gallagher. It lasted a couple of hours!! Fun times. :D

lexxity
15th Sep 2005, 17:07
Dad bringing home Irn Bru from trips to Scotland and Kitkats from trips to London.

When London was a million billion miles away and Scotland was another planet!

School being closed because the pipes had frozen and burst overnight!

Those funny leather sandals with little gold buckles that your mum made you wear, with socks, and everybody had the same ones. Boys and Girls.

Making dens out of a bedsheet and a clothes horse.

Haymaking with my sister and eating fish and chips at the end of the day.

Being allowed to go to the chippy with Dad was a big treat.

Riding on top of the hay trailer.

Nanna coming to stay for a night, she lived miles away (it's actually only 12miles) on my aunts farm, so it was a real treat when she came to stay. She always got the bus everywhere! And she always wore a funny bobble hat. She was great at growing fruit and making pies.

oh, happy, happy, days:)

acbus1
15th Sep 2005, 18:28
First wet dream.

First [email protected]

First [email protected]

It all cums flooding back

*sigh*

tart1
15th Sep 2005, 18:55
I remember trying to get to school on the train during the 'Winter of Discontent' (1972 or was it 1973?) and being late every day due to concelled trains.

Also the power cuts. There would either be one from 6 until 9 at night or from 9 till 12. The lights would go off for just a moment a few minutes before the real thing - to warn everyone I suppose.

radeng
15th Sep 2005, 21:52
making hard boiled egg sandwiches at the age of 8, going to the railway station and spending 1/3d on a cheap day return on the 0818 to go to Retford to spend the day train spotting. Steam trains,(are there any others worth watching?) of course.

Watching the Meteors from the local RAF training aerodrome (Scofton - been closed for about 50 years) go over - replaced with Vampires. Noisy bastards!

Vulcans from Finningley in formation.

effortless
16th Sep 2005, 09:13
Sonic BOOMS followed by the descending howl of a jet engine.

Taildragger55
16th Sep 2005, 09:31
my first proper kiss (with tongues) at a party with a guy called Henry

What a conincidence, Tart! Me too!

Girls were better though:(

tall and tasty
16th Sep 2005, 09:32
my first proper kiss (with tongues) at a party

That was more like a nightmare and strangely mine was with a guy called Tom!!

But subsequent kisses with other males have been memoriable

TnT :E

Komba
16th Sep 2005, 12:02
Sand castles.

Candy floss.

Christmas.

My first bicycle (A chopper!!)

Windsurfing every day. (I grew up on Tiwi beach)

Cuddles.

pipersfather
16th Sep 2005, 15:54
Going to the fun fair, riding the bumper cars and ghost train.

School bonfire night.

Making a snowman. I haven't seen snow for over 11 years.

Climbing up to the kitchen cupboards to find the biscuits.

Staying at Nan and Poppa's house.

MikeKnight
16th Sep 2005, 20:37
My parents flat in manc.

Coming in over the Manukau Harbour to Auckland.

Practising reversing with a trailer with my toy car.

My parents flat on the edge of Auckland's Cornwall Park.

These are my earliest memories.

Flyrr100
16th Sep 2005, 20:48
The results at 5pm on a Saturday

Listening to 'The Saint' theme as I lay in bed

Thunderbirds, the first time around

Cherry Corona at Christmas

Tommy Gunn

Afternoons at Stamford Bridge with Dad

Vacations at Butlins at Minehead

Pearl & Dean, and B&H commercials at the pictures

10 Players No10 and a book of matches, all for 10p

Millions more, but that was in 3 minutes.....

Foss
16th Sep 2005, 21:17
Sandwich spread sandwiches

Telling my brother tabasco was another kind of red sauce

Jumping off a roof thinking I would be ok if I did a 'parachute roll'

Soldier letting me look through the 'scope on his rifle

Electronic battleships

Dog jumping through a window to get at the postman

Playing kerbies

Blackwidow catapults

Watching Kung Fu in my Kung Fu pajamas

Swallowing the ball from a game of bagatelle in a glass of warm milk.

(spent a lot of time in casualty)

con-pilot
16th Sep 2005, 21:48
Sliding walls when I was very young living in Japan.

Running though a plate glass window when I was 4 years old. (That hurt)

Catching my first fish off the dock behind my parent’s house in Florida at Mc Dill AFB.

Being flown to Walter Reed Hospital in Washington DC on a plane load of wounded GIs during the Korean War. I remember one of them asking me where I was hit. That made me feel very important at the age of 5.

Hospitals

Hospital wards.

Hospital beds.

Wheelchairs. (I got in trouble once for getting out of my bed and going to the end of the ward to get some cake, I remember a nurse yelling at me that I wasn’t supposed to be able to walk. Showed her I did.)

Going to the White House in my wheelchair to meet President Eisenhower. (My mother was scared to death that I would do something bad.)

Whirlpool baths, god I loved those whirlpool tubs. (Probably why I have had hot tubs forever.)

Walking with braces on my legs.

Walking without braces on my legs.

Playing baseball.

Moving to London.

Meeting the Queen. (My mother was scared to death that I would do something bad.)

innuendo
17th Sep 2005, 00:57
Dandy and Beano comics and the aircraft cutaway pictures in the middle of the Eagle comic. (Obviously I was not an intellectual.)

FLCH
17th Sep 2005, 01:36
The smell of spent jet fuel, during a visit to Heathrow in the summer, watching 707's and VC-10 and Tridents just aching to fly one of them , special fun was watching the radar going round and round one way then convincing myself the radar was turning in the other direction....little things please little minds...

BUMPFF
17th Sep 2005, 01:52
Chamberlain's announcement on the wireless... Mam weeping... Dad looking grim, leaning on the blackleaded iron fireplace... Grandma stony-faced and sitting ramrod-straight... (Later) emerging from the shelter to see school burning fiercely... A lone Wellington doing a low-level morning fly-by to show the flag (probably returning after setting fire to someone else's school)... Tin bath in front of the fire... Mars Bars (when available) the size of a housebrick... Bread and dripping... Condensed milk sandwiches... Playing street football and cricket... Whips and tops... Yo-yos... Hornby clockwork trains... A cowboy outfit... Getting whacked on the back of the legs with a policeman's cape for playing on the railway lines... Hanging on the backs of coal lorries...

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

broadreach
17th Sep 2005, 02:04
I never understood why I could remember things from the cradle and, for others, childhood was a blank before age eight or so. Now, at 0800 I can't remember whether I had a shower at 0600. If I could remember who those unfortunates mentioned above actually WERE I'd ask them how their short-term memory was functioning.

More to the point (estimated age in brackets):
.: watching dad come down the stairs, from my crib (2)
.: watching dad play cricket (3)
.: almost drowning, seeing everything from below the surface (4)
.: tying my own shoelaces for the first time, sitting on the kerb with the maid after an excursion up the road to see what had happened in the crash - a Ford truck had hit something else and the driver's teeth were still scattered around (3-4).
.: lying in the doorway between the kitchen and the hall, pretending to read and waiting for the maid to pass so I could look up her skirt (3-4).
.: being bitten by my pet alligator (3)
.: shitting myself at school and having to walk home with my back to the walls (4)
.: running away from home (4, 8)
.: Dad's securing the little wheelwell windows in a PBY just before we touched down on the river, muttering oaths.
.: rowing a boat by myself (6)
.: falling through the ice and getting out by myself (8)
.: the argument with Mom re how aircraft moved on the ground, PBYs in particular; I said they had wheel traction and she, with somewhat more, i.e. nearly 20 years, suggested it might be engines and nosewheel steering (11).

And loads more. Damn, I don't think I'd do it any differently but I wish I'd realised how much heartstopping fun it was at the time!

planepsycho
17th Sep 2005, 02:54
Playing domino's with my grandmother.
Granny's tea cakes.
My brother dragging me out into the lake then swimming back to shore in order to teach me how to swim.
Going fishing every afternoon.
Barefoot skiing.
Boat races.
The pontoon boat sunsets on the lake.
My brother stabbing me in the foot with a pitchfork.
Riding the big cheese wagon to school.
Helping my father put a new roof on the house.
Helping my father build a new room under the new roof.
Helping my father overhaul motors.
The tire swing.
My mother's precious peonie bushes.
Throwing rocks on the only tin roof in the neighborhood...regularly.
Getting grounded regularly.
Streaking.
Bonfires.
Going to concerts.
Miller ponies
The crazy lady down the street who used to threaten to jump off the bridge., and the Barney Fyfe cop car siren going off while driving down there to "save her"....and the wonderful peanut butter fudge she made when she got out of the insane asylum every 6 months.
The crazy lady down the street walking up the street with a huge butcher knife while I had my feet dangling out of the car window.
The crazy lady down the street weighing 300 pounds walking up the street naked....except for those orange and yellow house slippers she left on my grandfather's doorstep.
(that's an overview! lol)

:cool:

RaraAvis
17th Sep 2005, 06:17
Summers at my mom's country home.

Picking wild strawberries, mashing them up with sugar and spreading on freshly made pancakes, eating the whole lot in the garden ...

Riding bare-back through the fields, falling off, repeating ad nauseam... Always having bandages on my knees and elbows from falling off trees and roofs etc ...

Avoiding capture by grownups who had nasty ideas of scrubbing us clean and dolling us up in frilly dresses when the guests arrived. Hated having my hair braided, torture....

Oh, and probably the most traumatizing experience of my childhood - the 'odd lady' of the village... Grabbed my arm once, pulled me closer, spit on her big red thumb and started scrubbing my eyebrows, chanting 'I can't believe Mrs.RA is painting this child's eyebrows already!'.
Well, I have quite light hair but darker eyebrows and was totally sun-bleached every summer.
Remember running home crying that I'm all wrong... Nasty old bint... It happened 28 years ago and I can still see her face....:ugh:

Gouabafla
17th Sep 2005, 07:11
The sound of a Deltic diesel engine on Newcastle central station on a cold foggy morning.

Watching Top of the Pops and desperately hoping that there would be a rock band on and not wall to wall disco.

Long, long walks with a black haired beauty called Judy - the start of a life long love for spaniels.

Getting up in the dark to deliver papers - winters were colder and wetter then.

Flyrr100
17th Sep 2005, 11:59
Picking rasberries on the railway enbankment.

Shooting passers by with my plastic M1 from the scaffolding on my house while the extention was being built.

The weekend the carnival came to town. Got to look flash in my 1974 clothes.

Summers on my bike.

1pm in the playground listening to the Johnny Walker Show on Radio 1 and the new top 30.

Blackjacks and Fruitsalads.

Living by the OM at Heathrow in Cranford, Middx watching the aeroplanes pass over all day. Why was the prop on that Vanguard not turning?

Ditto on the papers.

Charlie Foxtrot India
17th Sep 2005, 13:41
RA, Ditto the frilly dresses and painful hair braiding. Grandmother would buy matching ghastly dresses for all four of us plus girl cousins and we all had to be nice....I would put it all on, then climb right back up the tree and refuse to come down.

Top of the Pops in black and white...

.....followed by Tomorrows World ("one day we will all have colour TV!!!")

Freezing to death on the pebbles at Hastings on the annual family holiday
Falling off bikes, horses, out of trees.....
Tree houses, and falling out of them, especially when pushed by an older sister
Haymaking by hand
Riding my pony through fields full of lambs/stubble
Super 8 home movies
Getting away with mildly grave misdemeanours by saying "But I'm only little!"
Being sent to bed with no supper for the really grave misdemeanours
Christmas dinner, then watching The Queen before presents
Watching the very first episode of Crossroads
Getting engaged to my boyfriend in Kidergarten
Asking parents why my guinea pigs kept having babies? "ask your father/ask your mother/ask Nanny" In the end my oldest sister told me, with great glee, but I didn't believe her.

Wishing I could live somewhere hot, like Australia

Then, boarding school happened.....:{

DX Wombat
17th Sep 2005, 14:03
Lots of things, but one particularly memorable one is the scent from the pinks and carnations in my grandad's garden. We didn't go to see him very often but I usually came home with a bunch of pinks when they were in season. I'm still trying to find the one I remember as my particular favourite so that I can grow it in my own garden.