View Full Version : Potential pilot: Medical problems-Class I disqualification?

aadoyle
14th Sep 2005, 23:51
Hello,

I'm 25 and I am interested in perhaps attending flight school for commercial airline pilot training. However, given several health problems, i'm not sure I'd pass the class I medical.

I have the following issues:

Asthma - controlled with seretide

Many Annoying/distracting eye floaters visible especially against
bright background - no knowledge so far of getting rid of them.

Occasional sore joints & (jaw (TMJ) to be rectified)

Tendency to get weak/dizzy/shaky quickly if I do not eat enough or go without eating for too many hours --- I am not diabetic. I think it could be dietary hypoglycemia but I have not been diagnosed.

Allergies -- hayfever, chronic nasal congestion and sneezing, etc..

Also, I'm not heavy enough for my height - have difficulty putting on weight.

Is it possible to be disqualified for any of these problems? Is there any way I could circumnavigate these issues to pass the medical?

The eye floaters are particularly worring, although I can still pass an eye exam with glasses - however would I be failed because they are quite annoying/distracting?

Do you have the link for the information on the class 1 medical = restrictions, etc.?

Thanks
Alan

slim_slag
15th Sep 2005, 15:55
Seretide is a UK trade name, which Washington are you in? Some Class 1's are easier than others....

DB777
15th Sep 2005, 16:00
I am having similar problems.

I am curently trying to determine probelms with my visual standards, as it may be the case i'm just out.

Problem is even if I do get the Aok for that it might be that I fail the class 1 anyways! I have been on SSRI's for 2 years now and, like LASIK surgery for eys, can't find a definitive confiration on allowances on these factors.

Sometimes I wish there was an on-street recruitment agency like the army for being a commercial pilot!!!!

Good luck

Loose rivets
15th Sep 2005, 22:21
Search Floaters and PVD for the eye problems.

Have a detailed check to ascertain weather or not you have a Posterior Vitreous Detachment. If not, and following a full eye examination, stop worrying about floaters. They will probably go away.

BoeingMEL
23rd Sep 2005, 06:54
.......so...why don't you just submit yourself for a Class 1 medical? Good Luck anyway. bm