PDA

View Full Version : professional rumours only

stikker
23rd Jan 2001, 14:22
there is far to much technical chunder on this network I suggest all the technorotors take themselves away somewhere where they can talk about the various types( anoraks ) aerodynamics ( brain washing ) . anyone second that!

Pat Gerard
23rd Jan 2001, 14:39
Why? As the ROTORHEADS section states " A haven for professionals helicopters pilots to discuss the things that affect them".

Are not tech discussions part of the category?

stikker
23rd Jan 2001, 15:55
i take your point however i think this is not the venue for non professional pilots say a student pilot studing for their tech exams to post questions on aerodynamics or other technoheads spending hours bashing one type of light helicopter or other ,aircraft that don't feature in any big way in professional operations. maybe a ga heli section is needed

Taff Missed
23rd Jan 2001, 16:17
Stikker,

Perhaps you should just ignore the technical threads and leave them to people that want to discuss such things rather than demand they leave the forum altogether. A little bit of tolerance, you know, seeing things from some one else's POV; apply some CRM/HF thinking.

-------------

If it ain't broke..........

Night Sun
23rd Jan 2001, 20:45
Don't be such a snob.

Everybody should be welcome and we can all learn from the technical topics.

The more diverse the better! :)

JoePilot
23rd Jan 2001, 21:22
Fair point ... it is a bit boring ... and not in keeping with the 'Private Eye' nature of Pprune ... however diversity is good and viewers choice to click...

stikker
23rd Jan 2001, 22:39
i realise my original comment is harsh however i do believe the is a valid point and this site is diverging from its grass roots a professional pilot rumour network. i think it is time providers of this site expand the section available to heli drivers. ga /military/and company specific site

JoePilot
23rd Jan 2001, 23:19
not harsh.
..and sure its drifting but it's not like it's so full that those topics can't be there (and be ignored or read by choice) ... except in as far as it 'scares off' the 'main purpose' type threads .... only I (personally don't think it does)

There was a rumour that some calamity was about to befall a distributor of Italian speed machines .... anyone know?

A109
24th Jan 2001, 00:00
What have you heard Joe? I'm behind the drag curve on this one!

stikker
24th Jan 2001, 02:10
even this topic looks like its been hijacked by tech chunder

eden
24th Jan 2001, 02:53
All welcome - I reckon !

Re - dire straits - has been on cards for some time(backstreet engineering chat) but I know of another company heavily involved with the BOOT land. I am going to investigate tomorrow, will make a few calls and come back to the forum with a + or a - .....watch space!

Stikker apologies for hijack will post findings in a new topic ...byee

[This message has been edited by eden (edited 23 January 2001).]

stikker
24th Jan 2001, 04:35
i believe its time the operators of this site offer the heli community a more comprehensive service like that offered to the drivers that strap planks on every day starting with a operator specific type forum

helidrvr
24th Jan 2001, 05:40
Plank operators who have their own forums employ 1000s, not dozens or 100s, QED1. If members of a particularly large fraternity such as Olog/Bristow feel the need, we can always look at it.

This forum is designed to keep the topics which draw the most interest "on top", thereby automatically and continuously allowing all to "vote" on every single thread. It'll go away real fast if nobody is interested, QED2.

Many, if not most of the "techno" posters are in fact full time pilots themselves. If they are losing the rest of us, we might do well to question our own lack of knowledge rather than snipe at others for knowing more, QED3.

Final thought: As often as possible, I like to rub shoulders with my "betters". If I'm lucky, something might rub off.

------------------
You are welcome to visit HELIDRVR here (http://www.helidrvr.homestead.com)

[This message has been edited by helidrvr (edited 24 January 2001).]

SPS
24th Jan 2001, 12:53
I enjoy the exchange. I learn a lot from all of you. I hope I give some back.

I am well aware that 100's of people read this forum and gain from it although they may never post upon it.

That is great, that is what I am about, trying to make the PPL H think safety, although not JUST the PPL H. Surley the whole industry could benefit from less accidents?

If the forum splinters then that's OK, I'll go to wherever I can and begin again.

Much prefer that to being ignorant of why this does that.

SPS
"If a little knowledge is dangerous,
greater knowledge promotes safety".

stikker
24th Jan 2001, 14:56
there is nothing to be lost by offering the largest operators pilots their own forum i feel that if this is not offered there will be migration from this network soon. i feel the size of heli operators that exist in this post merger world we all live warrants it. some of the heli operators now employ thousands and this service is offer to much smaller plank entities

Whirlybird
24th Jan 2001, 15:57
It's really not very long since Rotorheads was so underused that it looked in danger of dying altogether. That has thankfully changed, but hardly so much that that we need more than one forum; just look how few posts it has overall compared to R & N, wannabes, and other popular forums. If you want other topics start them; other than that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

stikker
24th Jan 2001, 16:16
this is a public forum and will never reach its full potential as a result, most pilots are introverts and will not discuss issues that affect them in public

helidrvr
24th Jan 2001, 20:41
stikker,

You joined PPRuNe a couple of weeks ago and sofar all I see you do is gripe about our format. Some of us have worked long, hard and pro bono to get Rotorheads to where it is today. When I took over Rotorheads two years ago, it was all but dead.

All the experienced ppruners know that I welcome any help I can get. I decided two years ago to maintain an uncloaked presence on this forum because in my opinion a moderator should be accountable and therefore not anonymous. All who wish to contact me privately about Rotorheads, including you, can do so and many have. When a trend becomes identifiable I act on it; otherwise, as my esteemed friend whirlybird so eloquently put it: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If a group of pilots from an particular company want a forum of their own, let them communicate with me and if there are enough of them, no problem. I have never received such a request from anybody. If you work for one of the big outfits (which I somehow doubt) feel free to lobby your colleagues, then get them to post their vote right here on the forum.

In the mean time, it would be nice to read some of your insights as an experienced pilot, mechanic or whatever you are. We might all benefit.

------------------
You are welcome to visit HELIDRVR here (http://www.helidrvr.homestead.com)

offshoreigor
24th Jan 2001, 21:32
Helidrvr:

I couldn't agree with you more! The one thing you left out, possibly because of your upbringing, was that young Mr. Stikker or is that Dicker?, has to learn that the Professional Helicopter Pilots that post here are definately not afraid to reply or comment on any subject found in our forum.

What the young, seemingly naieve, lad needs to learn is that he must do his homework. Read the past threads and he will soon understand what this is all about. But, I fear that the youngster is but another wannabe, with no basis to comment on things he knows nothing of.

I apologise to you Helidrvr, for having to put up with this continual cr@p that is all too frequently appearing on this otherwise, very professional forum.

Cheers, OffshoreIgor http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by offshoreigor (edited 24 January 2001).]

stikker
25th Jan 2001, 01:55
offshore

i do not understand you having read your last few posts on the military training topic i note your distaste for our resident expert on the effect a semi has on a compact i could not have found a better example to demonstrate my point thank you.

Flying Lawyer
25th Jan 2001, 03:48
I can understand the frustration professional pilots must occasionally feel, especially at the repetitive, seemingly endless and IMHO unbearably tedious pro/anti Robinson debates. (If you don't like Robbos, don't fly them.)
However, I'd be very sorry to see the introduction of a closed company forum which would inevitably result in many contributors not bothering to post on the open forum.
I admit I'm biased: I'm only a PPL, but I find the discussions between professionals fascinating. I don't post on this forum very often because, as an amateur, I've got nothing of any value to say, unless a thread has a legal aspect. But I've learnt so much about helicopters, and operating helicopters professionally, just by reading the posts on htis forum.
Although my own helicopter flying is limited to the Gazelle, B206 and (occasionally) a Robinson, it really is interesting to read opinions about complex commercial types even though, as a PPL, I can only pipe-dream about flying one!
A forum in which the majority of contributions are from private pilots (like me) would soon become very boring.
Professional pilots obviously have no obligation to educate private pilots but, if you could just spare us a thought before you decide to disappear off to a professional forum, I for one would be very grateful.
PS:
If a professional forum is introduced, would somebody be kind enough to tell me the password - I promise not to speak unless spoken to! :)

PPS:
More contributions from Service pilots would also be very welcome!
http://www.gkn-whl.co.uk/images/index_ani.gif

[This message has been edited by Flying Lawyer (edited 25 January 2001).]

tech
25th Jan 2001, 08:34
I feel that as a forum it should not be restrictive. It is very simple , with me anyway , if it is a topic I'm not interested in I don't read it!

Thomas coupling
27th Jan 2001, 16:55
http://www.gograph.com/Images-7298/AnimatedGif/gab2.gif

Has Stinkker gone yet........

http://www.gograph.com/Images-7298/AnimatedGif/redstar.gif

------------------
Thermal runaway.

Odi
27th Jan 2001, 19:04
Just a thought, but as an ATCO at a particular Scotish airfield which deals with all the North Sea helicopters I enjoy reading most of your posts. The technical ones are useful as I feel they help to increase my professional knowledge which can only be better for you guys (and girls!) - which can only be better for you should you happen to be on my sector 300 miles NE of this airfield with a problem.

If the posts are to technical or not relevant then I don't read them; if they are relevant then I will do my best to understand them.

PPRuNe Towers
27th Jan 2001, 19:15
A few progamming notes from the Towers.

The traffic on this particular forum does not presently justify sub division. However, all to are be congratulated on its present healthy state.

So far only one rotary company has asked for a private forum - CHC. We cannot satisfy that request at the moment due to the collosal overall traffic on the site. We are having to shut down the search facilities for much of the day and pages have been shortened to improve access times. Don't be kidded by the registration numbers as we are presently being accessed by around 100,000 connections per day.

Our priorities are to radically improve the speed and quality of the site in the next month. A multi processor server with RAID arrays has been commisioned and new software is available at the end of the month which works in a totally different way - a high speed unix based industrial strength database with a pretty front end so as not to frighten the horses.

There are many other forums on the site which have to cater for a huge range of topics, locations and specialities. Amateurs mix with pros and gossip is intertwined with technical discussion. That's the way it will have to remain here for the short term at least.

Very few people read an entire newspaper - they use sections and headlines to lead them to the items that interest them most. It's the same here on PPRuNe - accept the limitations of the medium and enjoy it. It is after all exactly what you do everyday with magazines and television.

Regards from the Towers
Rob Lloyd
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Towers (edited 27 January 2001).]

stikker
28th Jan 2001, 03:42
in responce to all the post here I am convinced that the forum in its present form is best, have read all your post over the last few days i feel i would be at a lost within a private operators forum and would miss all the usful bites of info that pass through this site - you all convinced me i was wrong. however i would like to say i have seen another site very similar to this one go down hill very fast because it became doniated by one indivual with crap posts and people just left .i am not one for naming names however some off you have all ready made post on what i'm talking about. anyway thanks again you won me over