PDA

View Full Version : Outrageous beer prices, brewery blockade, who's with me?

Simon853
14th Sep 2005, 09:27
Never mind the cost of petrol. Beer's getting crazy, and it has a greater effect on my ability to exist happily than my ability to get to work cheapl.. Any chance Gordon Brown can be pressured into dropping the tax on alcohol??

Si

angels
14th Sep 2005, 09:41
Simon has got a point. A gallon of petrol costs, say, a fiver. The oil has to be found, pumped, transported, refined and then delivered to a garage. Pretty impressive stuff.

A pint of beer costs, say, 2.50 pounds. Water is drawn from a river/well or whatever. Other ingredients include malt, hops and increasingly nowadays chemicals. So a gallon costs 20 quid, four times a gallon of petrol!

As for Irn Brun nixing alcohol duty.....two chances!! **** all and none.

Gainesy
14th Sep 2005, 09:56
Good Points. To the stockades!!:suspect:

Standard Noise
14th Sep 2005, 10:00
B***ocks! There's no such thing as expensive beer when yer best mate owns a brewery.:p

AerBabe
14th Sep 2005, 11:00
There's no such thing when you get beer at mess prices either!

Lon More
14th Sep 2005, 11:23
Channel surfing, mild's still only 1 pound 70 a pint at the Rover's Return

Standard Noise
14th Sep 2005, 11:26
Meanwhile on the BBC, a pint of Unspecific is an unspecified small handful of coins in the Queen Vic.

Windy Militant
14th Sep 2005, 11:38
If they're going to blockade the breweries I suggest that there's no need to start panic buying Jusht Yetsh! :\ Hicsh.

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Sep 2005, 12:12
Gotta go with Standard Noise on this. If one really has to purchase beer with shekels when one's mate is comatose under the bar, the going rate here is around a squid a pint so no worries there either....:E :ok:

'Nother Gilroys, anyone...?:}

www.gilroybeers.co.za

Coconutty
14th Sep 2005, 12:18
The problem isn't the amount of tax on a pint of beer - the political ramifications run far deeper - it's all down to the cost of production - farmers can only grow so many hops - they have to leave great swathes of land "set aside" to qualify for EU subsidies which make up for the losses they incur trying to farm cattle and sheep - so this limited production forces the price artificially high. - Except in Wales where you can still make a profitable business with a few sheep if they're reasonably good looking ( I'm told ) ;)

Now if Gordon Brown were to "suggest" to the EU ministers that hop production should be increased two fold, this would drive the price down, reducing the cost of the end product enabling more of us to go out and get sozzled ( 24 hrs a day now in the UK - Cheers ! ).

There would also be the knock-on benefit that more people would be physically unable to drive home from the pub afterwards due to the increased consumption, so would save even more cash by not buying so much petrol, and reducing the queues of the apparantly sober few queueing at the forecourt.

What do the Eurocrats know about beer anyway - Have you ever tried that "weiss" stuff ? :yuk:

IB4138
14th Sep 2005, 12:20
Yep.

Can still buy a pint here for the equivalent of one pound...although some b'stards charge double that!

Prices in the UK are excessive.

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Sep 2005, 12:23
Nuts

A good weissbier on a hot day is a pretty refreshing drop. Got to keep the pipes really clean though as any impurity seems more noticeable among the wheat beers. Great with the sharper, more peppery cheeses....:ok:

Standard Noise
14th Sep 2005, 12:24
Have you ever tried that "weiss" stuff?
Yep and I'd rather drink Domestos.:yuk:

But then as they say, 'to each, his own.'

ORAC
14th Sep 2005, 12:38
Hmmm, might have to do a bit of panic buying and fill up down the pub tonight before the blockades start.... :O

Coconutty
14th Sep 2005, 12:38
Twotter :

Great with the sharper, more peppery cheeses....
That's no way to talk about the people you drink with :p

:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Sep 2005, 12:40
Nuts

Any time you're in JHB, mate........:ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Sep 2005, 13:16
Almost all the beer market in UK is dominated by a few big breweries. They couldn't give a toss about a quality product, but prefer to manufacture nasty fizzy stuff in factories. It's easy to make, undemanding to transport, and doesn't require any skill on the part of the publican. But because it is so awful, it has to be sold by means of very expensive marketing campaigns so the fashion victims will be convinced it is 'cool' to be seen swigging (out of the bottle) that particular brand of [email protected]

Meanwhile, a few breweries do manage to continue to brew real beer (Holts, in Manchester, comes to mind). It's quite labour-intensive (because it's not made in automated fizz factories), needs careful transporting, and skill on behalf of the publican to prepare and serve it. And because it is 'live' and free of preservatives, it has a limited shelf life. All this should make it prohibitively expensive compared to mass produced fizz, but because it isn't 'marketed' it is actually cheaper. And, like fine wines, the tastes of these beers is subtle and not immediately obvious to the uninitiated.

The big breweries have a lot to answer for where Britain's beer heritage is concerned (not to mention 'themed' pubs and other tasteless 'renovations' of perfectly good ale houses). A few traditional breweries still survive, and they are increasingly being joined by new real ale brewers as drinkers re-discover their palates.

It amazes me that the brewers get away with it. Could you imagine the French wine industry being taken over by large conglomerates, and replacing those fine wines with the equivalent of fizzy Vimto at higher prices?

SSD

ORAC
14th Sep 2005, 13:33
2004 - PARIS: Wine flavored with wood chips was, until recently, just the kind of thing France's vintners were proud to have nothing to do with. But in a sharp break with tradition, the government agreed to allow this and other moneysaving shortcuts to help French vineyard owners revive their flagging fortunes. The plans, drawn up by the winemakers themselves, were endorsed by French Agriculture Minister Herve Gaymard on the eve of his meeting Thursday with a group of lawmakers pressing for government action to stem the decline.....production requirements would be relaxed for mid-market "Vins de Pays" - or country wines - in a move designed to make it easier, and cheaper, to produce mass-market French wines in high volumes.

Speaking to reporters, Gaymard described the plans as a "global offensive for French wine" that would "clarify and simplify the presentation of French products on the international market." Instead of branding their wine with obscure local place names, mid-market vintners could sell their products under the name of a single well-known grape - even if up to 15 percent came from other varieties. Under current rules, only 100 percent Chardonnay can be sold as Chardonnay.

The geographical areas from which vintners have to source their grapes would be broadened, making for a cheaper and more reliable supply, as well as higher capacity. Wood chips could also be added to the maturing Vin de Pays to give it an oak flavor without using expensive wooden barrels. Such cost-cutting tactics are already common across the rest of the winemaking world, including the United States and Australia, but were viewed by most French winemakers as too unorthodox to contemplate - until now. "Most of our global competitors are using wood chips and we think we should be able to do it too," said winemaker Denis Verdier, who chairs the advisory board of France's National Wine Office.....

But winemakers say their shake-up of France's hierarchical wine categories and rules could change all that, clearing the way for the creation of some big new French brands. "We have several companies that will be able to get down to work with these rules," said Eric Tesson, a lawyer for the AOC winemakers' national body..... :hmm:

Conan the Librarian
14th Sep 2005, 18:47
Having read all of the above, I feel that my desire to contribute might be more valid if I pop off to do a bit of research around the corner, at the Crown Inn of Lechlade. If I can neither write, nor find my way back to the keyboard by 2359 tonight, post me as MIA

Conan

Jerricho
14th Sep 2005, 19:02
The solution..........homebrew!!! :ok:

My 2005 Cerveza is bloody fabulous stuff.

Conan the Librarian
14th Sep 2005, 23:43
Back at 0042 and can't remember what the hell we were talking about. Oh - YES! All I can report is that the 2.65 for a pint felt good value at the time, but it felt even better value at download time. 'tis a great business to be involved in.

Conan

Coconutty
15th Sep 2005, 14:19
Twot :

Thanks for the offer pal but I now have my own "solution" :

I'm only drinking unleaded petrol from now on - much cheaper than beer, more potent, and available 24 / 7 at a nearby 24 hr supermarket, where I can also pick up some munchies.

This decision has been reached as a result of my local B&Q running short on methylated spirits, which is also more expensive than petrol.

Off to the pumps again now for some more panic buying :\

TheBeeKeeper
15th Sep 2005, 14:32
Anyone had the pleasure of frequenting the Engineers' Arms at Henlow in Bedfordshire. Landlord puts on 20 different real ales per week. Noteworthy mentions go to 'Village Bike' 'Not tonight Josephine' and this summer we had 'Stuff the Royal Wedding'.

First Friday of the Month tends to attract Henlow flying club on mass for an 'Engineering Debrief' after flying.

TBK

Oh, and on thread, 2.40/pint...... but choose wisely, and you'll only need a few, thereby reducing the overall costs!