PDA

View Full Version : many doubts

furbpilot
14th Sep 2005, 08:53
Hello guys

I'm 40 years old single italian first officer now employed with the second biggest company in Italy and flying 737.I applied to emirates and after a week or so I got a phone call let's say on monday in which they were asking me to be in Dubai on friday for the interview.
I had to say there was no chanche.Then via e-mail the asked me if I could be there on the beginning of august but I told them I did'nt know if I was able to get for days off in that period and effectively I was not. So we fixed it for september and I was supposed to leave to Dubai today but yesterday while I was doing some works in the garden i made a bad movement and my back stated hurting very badly.Doctor told me no way I can travel like this and really I dont feel like because is really painfull.
So now what you think ..they will call me again?
While I'm here I'd like somebody to tell me some truths about EK.
I see lot of disappointed people on this forum so just in case they 'll call me again and I will get to pass the interview and end up having to make a decision I ask some more informations not find my self doing it wrong:

You think it will be possible for me to travel back home a couple of time per month ?

I'm making around 43.000 euros per year net on 14 months pay with pension,loss of licence, union rapresentation ( for what is worth) 35 days leave,medical & accident insurance and I live at my house.... you think is worth to come to EK?

I'd really like to make some long haul flying cause I'm fed up with domestic flying but I will soon transition to left seat.I see people leaving left seat to go right on EK..... What do you think

How is actually social life down there ?(I mean..I'm single..)

What does it look like a sample roster of 777 driver?
How many days off, reserve, ect ect.

Bidding sistem actualy works?

I know thats a lot of stuff but, you know I learned that you have to be suspicious...never thrust anybody not even the mirror.
So probably some of you will tell the goods other the bads....

gtaflyer
14th Sep 2005, 14:25
could you please tell me if having a family with 4 kids is it possible for survive on ek fo salary.

i hear that ek give married cuples with children bigger accomodation, how does the allownce system work?

also can you tell me how i can get inteview i am 47 years fo with 43oo hrs but no command time but i would personally find no problem living the culture of dubai.

Backwater
14th Sep 2005, 15:41
The Dubai culture is not the problem. It's the Emirates culture.

You will be living hand to mouth until you upgrade in 4-6 yrs time.
Your house may be big, it may be small. Luck of the draw. No exceptions except for the exceptions that don't get talked about(see the second sentence).

If I were your age with four kids I'd have to be very very desperate before I'd consider EK, esp given the intel' available on this forum.

Good luck

SecurID
14th Sep 2005, 16:24
You seriously applied and a week later got a call for an interview the same week?! When I applied i had to wait three months for a rely, another four for an interview date, two months for an answer and then four months for a course date!

They are far shorter of applications than we were led to believe...

Vorsicht
14th Sep 2005, 17:15
gtaflyer

For a start EK only cover 3 children for education. At the school my kids go to, the annual fee is 30,000dhs, education allowance 26000dhs i think. So you would pay 4000dhs for first 3 kids, plus 30000 for 4th kid = 42,000dhs, F/O salary around 19000 dhs so there goes more than 2 months salary.

To be fair there are cheaper schools that would bring the cost down significantly, but do you want to send your kids there.

I'm not sure how medical and staff travel etc apply to the fourth child but it would be worth checking out, living here is expensive and you will definitely be dipping into your savings to survive until your upgrade comes.

gtaflyer
14th Sep 2005, 18:48
thank you everyone for your replys, i will wait and see whether i get even an invite for i/v.

incidently, do ek pay any travel fare for i/v or not or is this a silly question?

ps has anyone been invited who has less then 4000 hrs total?

thanks guys!

fatbus
14th Sep 2005, 22:58
Forth child is not covered for anything.ie: med,dent,alt,elt,school,visa etc. I think you can get subloadans zed

disillusionedek
15th Sep 2005, 00:27
Fourth child not covered - fair enough. But when I left EK, after over a decade of service, they actually made me buy a full fare ticket for my fourth child to leave the country! Nothing like a little thank you to see you on your way!

Keep discovering guys!