PDA

View Full Version : Ashes Come Home

Pin Head
14th Sep 2005, 07:10
Unlucky aussies you tried but the better team won. So much for Glen Macraths 5-0 whitewash prediction!!!:p :p :p

See you all in 18 months.

Oz Ocker
14th Sep 2005, 07:40
Yeah onya Poms :ok:

It's only taken ya 18 years :}
Enjoy it, and polish 'er up, in the blink of an eye she'll be back ere agin.

Pin Head
14th Sep 2005, 08:35
Never mate. Only two of your players performed this summer and both of them (Warne and Mcrath) are collecting their pension soon!

Sheep Guts
14th Sep 2005, 08:47
Yeah well there ya go. We will have to reform a new team, there are plenty gifted cricketers in waiting. Id say Mr Buchanan will be the first casualty. If selectors and coachs cant it right then theyll be the first to sucombe to the knife. We are still no 1 by the way. Youll have to continue for a few years yet to upstage us and win No1. check out the stats http://www.icc-cricket.com/

More bouts to come. Has Rod Marsh got British citizenship? He needs to I think. Those poor sand gropers are so far removed from the rest of us, you could nearly call Perth East east London.
:O :)

Sheep

NAMPS
14th Sep 2005, 09:29
Has Ron Marsh got British citizenship?

Ron Marsh might but Rod Marsh is 100% Aussie!!:8 ;)

I think Ricky Ponting is not a very good captain. Hardly living up to his nickname by setting up a defensive field and then changes it after every ball.

The Aussies started going down hill when Boof retired...Punter couldn't ask "What do I do now Boof?".

Tait looks promising as a fast bowler, Bracken should get another look in I think.

Anyway, the Poms certainly were the better team and deserved the series victory.

Sheep Guts
14th Sep 2005, 09:38
I stand corrected. Yes Ricky needs replacing at Captain so he can concentrate on playing I think. Im not sure who would make a Good Captain? Gilchrist has had a go allready he did ok, while Pointing was out with his broken pinky.

Its a tuff one. But if we dont stem the tide well be down with Bangladesh wondering why we are in the comp to start with.:O :( :rolleyes:

Whiskery
14th Sep 2005, 10:33
You sound like a Pom Sheep Guts !

One series loss and it's sack the coach, sack the captain, blame Rodney Marsh and comparing us with Bangladesh...whoah! Settle down Mate, relax a while. We were beaten by a better side, simple as that.

Just because we are unaccustomed to losing doesn't mean we fly into panic mode and start shooting everything that moves.
:mad:

The Euronator
14th Sep 2005, 10:42
Sheep Guts,

This might help

suc·cumb ( P ) Pronunciation Key (s-km)
intr.v. suc·cumbed, suc·cumb·ing, suc·cumbs

To submit to an overpowering force or yield to an overwhelming desire; give up or give in. See Synonyms at yield.

aussie78
14th Sep 2005, 10:55
To all you poms well done --enjoy it

Now you know what it feels like to be an Aussie!!!

UnderneathTheRadar
14th Sep 2005, 11:31
You miserable b*stards never even let them leave Lords.......

For a good laugh, check out:
www.needstobeglassed.com
but watch you're not easily offended.

The Euronator
14th Sep 2005, 12:00
Sheep Guts,

One other thing

Rod Marsh was head of the Austalian Cricket Academy from 1992-2001 during that period the following players have emerged from under his tutelage

Michael Bevan,Michael Slater,Justin Langer,Damien Martyn,Shane Warne,Adam Gilchrist,Ricky Ponting,Jason Gillespie,Brett Lee,Michael Clarke,Glenn McGrath and Michael Kasprowicz

Any of those names ring a bell, I think he has done more for the current Australian setup than you might think.

gaunty
14th Sep 2005, 12:01
Whiskery mon vieux seems like it's the way it is now. :{

So called modern management systems that use KPI's like samurai swords are rapidly being exposed for the fraud they are.

Next time you meet someone who calls himself a consultant, shoot to kill first, before you read his business card. :}

DirtyPierre
14th Sep 2005, 12:11
Pinhead, you silly pommy git. The Ashes never left. They reside in England you twit!

Pin Head
14th Sep 2005, 12:29
Calm down DirtyPierre. Where's your sportsmanship?

Ricky Ponting made a stupid mistake by not batting first at Egbaston - if he did, I think it would have been a different story.

Sheep Guts
14th Sep 2005, 13:01
Yeah ok Euronater I succumb to your every word! Rod Marsh is a National hero of Australia. Ill just knife all my fellow Queensanders. Number one being Matt Hayden whos been carried by the rest of the team for over a year. His decision to take the light on the afternoon of the second day was the linch pin that drowned us. I gave up then or succumbed (sucked thumb). Poor old Hayden should be back to cooking or something with Fitzy on channel 9. Cook me up some eggs Billy and maybe some chilli muddies for din dins( excuse spelling). Euronater good spellors and bad spellors(notice spelling) still end up in pine boxes matey!

But maybe Im being to hasty,lets keep the existing team and see how they fare against the Kiwis and South Africans and Sri Lankans. And if they are trailing on the ICC scoreoard by more than 20 points in each comp test and ODI, then we can sack them. By the way Australia A just got hammered by Pakistan A. So even our seconds are doing it tough.

Adios
Sheep

The_Cutest_of_Borg
14th Sep 2005, 13:32
After watching the pommy celebrations, I realised why the Poms won this time. They wanted it more than us, pure and simple.

Would our team have got a ticker tape parade if they had retained the Ashes?... doubt it. England has gone barmy over this.

When it comes down to it, they won by two runs. It is good for the game and the next series in OZ will be a belter that they could sell out right now. It's not the end of the world, just the start of a new era. Well done England.... but don't get cocky. :)

OhForSure
15th Sep 2005, 01:00
I echo Borg's sentiments.

In reality, it was an increadibly close series... however its no secret that the Aussies were playing at about half their potential. Still the Poms played very well, and had more fire in the belly.

You just wait and see what happens down here next summer.

MOR
16th Sep 2005, 07:40
When it comes down to it, they won by two runs.

Oh, give us a break. They were comprehensively outplayed, particularly on the final day.

The gulf was a lot wider than 2 runs. When will Aussies learn to lose graciously?

Nomorecrap
16th Sep 2005, 07:57
..probably when the Pommies learn to win graciously.

(And the planets align)

The_Cutest_of_Borg
16th Sep 2005, 09:23
Say what you want, but two runs at Edgbaston would have turned an English win into an Aussie win. England never looked like winning the last test or the first one for that matter. This series was VERY close.

Don't get cocky and learn to win without rubbing peoples noses in it. The English used to be the model for graciousness... not any more.

(I shouldn't even mention that Kaspa was caught off a glove that wasn't connected to the bat at the time.. but there were plenty of umpiring gaffes that affected the outcome ... both for and against either team..)

lurker69
16th Sep 2005, 09:39
Just checked the scorecards. Nothing mentioned about

comprehensively outplayed

Does seem to mention that the second test was won by two runs. Given that FACT, I'd say they won the series by two runs.

lurker69
16th Sep 2005, 11:46
Since when do comments from anyone, be they a losing captain or a bad paper, count on a scorecard? Two runs. That's it. All the rest is opinion.

Daedal_oz
16th Sep 2005, 13:16
Congratulations to my British friends on a spirited fight to reclaim the Ashes...not that they leave your blighted shores in any event.

Oh, and congratulations on retaining George Galloway...:}

pullock
17th Sep 2005, 01:09
Ashes - Who cares?

This is an aviation forum, please take the ashes to the sports forums with the other sports heads.......

pakeha-boy
17th Sep 2005, 16:26
Pullock....so true!...but the aussies had to get there by areoplane,(duh)so that makes it an aviation forum;) one run,two runs...100 runs...a win is a win....pokere