PDA

View Full Version : Thank you PMA

Eric Aldrovandi
13th Sep 2005, 21:49
My mate (wink, wink) ended up diverting into a USMC base in Iraq after an aircraft failure (failure of a badly-designed component). He was there for 5 days waiting for a rescue mission to be mounted...

During the time in Iraq, he only had the clothes he was wearing (desert issue flying kit) and the equipment in the CSW/PSP. The temperature there dropped to -6c overnight so the desert kit was a little cold. Thankfully, HM QEII provided emergency $$$ for such occasions (or so he thought) and he became the proud owner of a nice warm jumper, a super wooly hat and some pants and socks. Of course, justification to spend the money was given on the grounds that death by hyperythermia was the other option. Fine.

Anyway, guess what should arrive through the post this week... Only a bill for £10. PMA has (kindly) agreed to fund 50% of these emergency purchases, the other 50% to be funded by my mate. And his mate.

What does everyone think about that?

By the way, he had to leave a PW2 there which subsequently could not be found. Anyone know how much they cost? I think a call to the bank might be in order to cover that one.

And another thing... When the base was attacked by the local mortar platoon, guess who the only 2 blokes without helmets and body armour were.

So to summise, I would like to thank PMA for their kind donation (on behalf of my mate, obviously). I would also like to know if the major airlines are so generous in these circumstances? Or would it be fair to expect the pilot to pay for the whole lot?

Oh, I just thought of a good idea for all of you young pups out there. If that ever happens to you, make sure that you buy twice as much stuff as you need, then take half of it back.

That will work, won't it?

Always_broken_in_wilts
13th Sep 2005, 22:17
Top tip, tell your oppo to tell "Blunt Cmd" to shove the bill up their ar@e and demand his day in court..................it will soon disappear :}

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

16 blades
13th Sep 2005, 23:44
What a bunch of w@nkers. Follow ABIW's advice - you are on solid ground, trust me. Read LCAIs - you are entitled to emergency purchases of this nature. Get some brass on your side, and this will go away.

16B

BEagle
14th Sep 2005, 06:31
The Sun says......

"Helicopter hero billed by bungling bureaucrat"

Perhaps?

What sort of mean blunt ba$tard thinks he can try this on. Tell them to ram the bill firmly - or you'll do it yourself. Personally.

Trouble is, the thieving $ods will probably try to dock it from your pay....

Maybe a copy sent to The Doc and to your MP might get someone's attention?

Talking Radalt
14th Sep 2005, 06:50
Can't be a helicopter mate Beags. As EA says, his "mate" had only the clothes he was wearing whereas the average rotary god would never be seen without a bergen the size of Luxembourg.:ok:
And anyway, what you're all forgetting is...
Woolly hats and jumpers....."missing" PW2.......different budgets! :hmm:

Never have I read a headline in RAF News with such quiet approval as the one that stated: "Innsworth to close by 2007" :ok: :ok: :ok:
Pen-pushing budget squandering blunty to$$ers, the lot of them. :yuk:

PS Isn't another shiny "PMA is Great!" booklet due out soon?

BEagle
14th Sep 2005, 07:09
Ah yes, probably not rotary. In which case:

"Brave Brit Pilot billed by Bungling Bureaucrat"

Surely there's some journo reading this?

Talking Radalt
14th Sep 2005, 07:17
If it were rotary Beags it'd read:
Slightly-brave Brit helo crew saved by large bergen of self-funded and/or "borrowed" kit
:rolleyes:

The Helpful Stacker
14th Sep 2005, 07:29
Slightly-brave Brit helo crew saved by large bergen of self-funded and/or "borrowed" kit

:D

The Pikeys of the aviation world.

"Keep an eye on your kit lads, the JH lads have arrived...."

Talking Radalt
14th Sep 2005, 07:42
A stacker (helpful or not) deriding SH crews for sourcing kit from where ever they can.... Seen it all now.

"Keep an eye on the stackers' kit lads, isn't it nice and shiny?" :p

What next? A chef commenting on how we jazz-up a rat pack?

;)

Above Datums
14th Sep 2005, 07:48
Why do stackers always brand you with being a Pikey when you try to draw something out of stores? :E

The Helpful Stacker
14th Sep 2005, 07:52
I don't have a 'store' anymore, it was civilianised whilst I was away somewhere hot.:ooh:

I'm now a storeless stacker.

If I still had it you could help yourself, gives me less to count at the end of the month.

An Teallach
14th Sep 2005, 08:38
TR

Never have I read a headline in RAF News with such quiet approval as the one that stated: "Innsworth to close by 2007"

They had to make a big song and dance about the closure for fear that it would just happen and it may well have taken the reast of the RAF about 5 years to notice it had gone.:ugh:

Above Datums
14th Sep 2005, 09:09
They had to make a big song and dance about the closure for fear that it would just happen and it may well have taken the reast of the RAF about 5 years to notice it had gone

Nah I reccon the rest of the air force would have caught on when they got their claims through before reaching the 18/32 point! :}

The Helpful Stacker
14th Sep 2005, 09:14
Hey, we'll all be able to process our own claims in soon. Should be fun.

I wonder how many folk will be detached to Colchester for abusing the system?

Ali Barber
14th Sep 2005, 19:18
I have heard of this from many years ago. You can opt instead of paying to offer to send them the wooly jumper and assorted fashion accessories.