PDA

View Full Version : CFS Instructor Notes

Dave Bloke
13th Sep 2005, 17:07
Hi,

I've just started instructing PPLs and was wondering if there was any source for relevant CFS produced instructor notes outside the RAF, or to be really cheeky, if anyone has an old unwanted set? I've been shown various formats but to me, the CFS stuff is the clearest.

I'm thinking particularly in terms of chalk and talk/OHP type briefings (long and pre-flight) as much as airex stuff. Sadly, my own "military" experience was restricted to a bit of UAS Bulldog flying many moons ago, although my civil training was almost entirely by CFS trained instructors.

Many thanks,

Dave Bloke

BunkerBound
13th Sep 2005, 19:27
Simple enough.....

Pass military selection, officer training, basic and advanced flying training. Pass operational conversion, get posted to a squadron, become combat ready. Complete your tour, volunteer for and pass boarding for the CFS course.

Then make your own notes during the course.....

Dave Bloke
13th Sep 2005, 20:10
Wish I could, except:

a) too old
b) too old
c) too old
d) unfit for a bang seat due to a very nasty accident many years ago

I have another flying job besides the instructing, hence the request. ;)

blagger
13th Sep 2005, 21:29
Try www.ontrackaviation.com

Two of their instructors produce a manual - "Instructional Techniques for the Flight Instructor" and you can buy it through their website. All the OnTrack FIs are ex-CFS and the setup is one of the best around - the manual is very CFS based and is the best isntructional reference I have ever come across - puts the likes of Campbell's manual in the dark ages.

Dave Bloke
13th Sep 2005, 21:32
Thanks very much. I'll give them a try....

Topofclimb
14th Sep 2005, 09:16
I have some notes/slides made for the PPl syllabus and have been well received in the past. Can post them if you contact me.

Ali Barber
14th Sep 2005, 19:20
Learn to say "Note the attitude, you have a go, what about a FOEL check" without pausing for breath. Also learn to draw 2 eyes at the bottom of the briefing board, preferably in as many colours as there are in a rainbow.

Dave Bloke
14th Sep 2005, 20:20
Also learn to draw 2 eyes at the bottom of the briefing board, preferably in as many colours as there are in a rainbow.

Inevitably, only a couple of whiteboard markers work.... ;)

Thanks everyone.

Topofclimb, check your PMs.

ShyTorque
14th Sep 2005, 20:21
Don't forget the final part of the debrief:

"Well Bloggs, what does your mother call you?"

"She calls me Dave!"

"Well Dave, tell your mother you're chopped!" :E

teeteringhead
15th Sep 2005, 07:17
You can always practice sayingwhenIgiveyoucontrolwhatIwantyoutodois as one word.....:rolleyes:

SASless
15th Sep 2005, 08:16
Is there but the CFS way of doing things in the world?

Ever consider thinking outside the box.....even once?

ShyTorque
15th Sep 2005, 09:36
Yes,

The US military way of instruction was considered, but as that wasn't nearly as good it got dropped. :E

SASless
15th Sep 2005, 10:04
No argument there....but I would suggest there are civilian study courses that are as good or better than the military verisons. The US Army influence over helicopter training in the US and FAA is about the same as the CFS is to the UK. I have recently gone over some of the material mentioned and found it to be one approach to the topics but not as good as others I have seen.

The key is to draw from multiple sources and extract the good from each....and thus generate a better source of information than a single sourced document.

One must remember....the military is interested in standardized instruction molded to fit the organizational needs with a view towards the finished product fitting into operational units....that is the same for all military training schools.

There is more than one right answer to some of the questions...and the more consideration one gives to the external sources...the better the "internal" version can become.

An example...we all look towards the Canadians for mountain flying training....they "wrote" the book....but at the same time...our European friends also have some mountains to play in too. They do mountain rescue a bit differently than the Americans and Canadians.....and both systems work....thus who is "right"?

ShyTorque
15th Sep 2005, 15:45
No one is completely right. It's difficult to mix and match though because something might drop between the cracks.

A syllabus designed for one part of the world might be less appropriate for another due either to local prevailing weather or a difference in regulations.

However, I certainly agree that if you want to learn mountain flying go where there are mountains rather than hills. If you want to learn about cold weather ops go where the snow is!

The request was for CFS notes though, so we digress. ;)

flipster
16th Sep 2005, 09:07
There are no generic CFS '20 min white board briefs'.

Every instructor on each ac type has his/her own slightly different version based on the latest PTC flying syllabus (ie reduction of hours) FOR THEIR AC TYPE.

These notes are only, after all, personal reminders of how the pre-flt brief should be structured - yes, structure standardisation IS important - as how else do we know all studes are playing on a level pitch? But an A2 should have better ways of describing HOW to accomplish skills than someone just graduating as a B2.

CFS Groundschool at Cranwell gives new QFIs help and advice on how to deliver lessons and briefs (very different structure and emphasis) - but the 20 min pre-flight stuff is covered by the different CFS flying units at Cranditz, Valley and Shawbury. But if you want the theory, write nicely to the CGI at CFS G/Sch.

If you want a set of 'pre-flight brief' notes - either;

a. speak to an experienced QFI and ask to borrow his notes - then modify them to your own syllabus and purposes.
Better still, ask him to brief you as if you were the student, noting how a brief progresses and how he emphasises the main skills/points.

or

b. Look at your syllabus/sortie profile - decide what you want to teach and emphasise and then, make your own briefs better suited to your environment/ac/students.

Flipster

I always hated drawing CFS clouds, too - but they did help to emphasise the main points. If you don't like clouds - make them into explosions!

Dan Winterland
19th Sep 2005, 01:54
There maybe civilian study courses out there which are better, but I haven't seen them. My experience of them is that they try to acheive what CFS do but fall short of the mark. The only exception to this is the guys at 'On Track' but they are mostly ex CFS and thier course follows CFS guidelines.

I have flown with some Civilian instructors and I can't believe what they come out with some times. It's not their fault, they become instructors with a 35 flying hour course which is enough to cover the basics but doesn't allow much honing or improvment over the minimum standards, especially if they aren't the sharpest in the first place.

However, they can't be blamed as civilian instructor courses are trying to provide at service at a competitive price and don't have the time and facilities of the CFS course. Also, you will find that the syllabus used by a large part of the world follows the CFS syllabus pretty closely and has done since the founding of CFS in 1913 (I think). This is because there is little original thought regarding syllabi except from those who are there to refine and improve it - ie an organisation such as CFS.

Dave Bloke. PM me and I will e-mail you my airborne cribs.

Dave Bloke
20th Sep 2005, 13:52
Dan,

Thanks very much for the offer. I've managed to get hold of the "On-Track" notes, which are exactly what I was looking for. My intention is to use them as an aide-memoire more than anything and develop them as I go on.

I've also taken some advice from a couple of ex-QFIs who suggest (naturally perhaps) that the CFS Flying Instructor's Handbook is a good starting point. The plan in the next year or so is to become a TRI/TRE on a big jet as part of the day job and certainly the teaching techniques will be particularly helpful.

All the best,

Dave B