PDA

View Full Version : Electric cooker question

Hairy Mary
13th Sep 2005, 14:25
Why is it, that when you turn one of the heating elements on, and then stick a fork in it, you don't get an electric shock? It is 240 volts after all.

Jerricho
13th Sep 2005, 14:30
Ummmm................yeah.

I take you have tried this.

Try it with wet feet.

Ozzy
13th Sep 2005, 14:33
Try licking it while standing in a bucket of water:E

Ozzy

Hairy Mary
13th Sep 2005, 14:33
Well, no. I mean I don't want to burn my feet. That's why I used the fork.

Coconutty
13th Sep 2005, 14:41
'Cos the live electrical bit is protected inside the bit that gets hot.

So why not just cut out the "middle man" - Use the handle of a tea spoon to poke straight into into into the earth pin ( top one ) of a UK 13 amp socket - ( no need for a cooker or any other kind of fancy appliance).
This will open up the protective gate allowing you to shove your fork straight into the live terminal ( the one on the right ). :8

Don't forget to make sure it's switched on. :rolleyes:

You might have to bend a few of the prongs out of the way and just shove one prong in, but hey, it's not like you'll be using that fork again. :\

:ok:

Dak Mechanic
13th Sep 2005, 14:46
I'm just wondering what posessed you to even consider the experiment!

The electricity passes through a resistive conductor that is insulated from the external steel casing by means of ceramic rings or hard packed mica. the conductor gets hot and the heat is transferred to the casing..

JC

candoo
13th Sep 2005, 14:59
Shame they don't do the same for toasters as I found out to my detriment a few years back.

Do not poke around in toasters with metal forks whilst they are toasting!

Hairy Mary
13th Sep 2005, 15:07
Thanks JC and Nutty. It all makes perfect sense now.
As for the toasters, yeah it is a shame. They don't make very good bath toys either.

mary_hinge
13th Sep 2005, 17:45
Will matron allow you to experiment with a gas cooker?:E

M.Mouse
13th Sep 2005, 18:24
I was parachuting once and my parachute failed to open. While I was pondering what to do a man passed going in the opposite direction.

I asked if he knew anything about parachutes. He replied that he didn't and asked if I knew anything about gas cookers.

Hairy Mary
13th Sep 2005, 18:54
Was he carrying a fork and a toaster?

Jerricho
13th Sep 2005, 21:39
That forking toaster................