PDA

View Full Version : Music, us blokes & communication

Lost_luggage34
13th Sep 2005, 13:36
I have just enjoyed making 3 CDs for my intended.

Music is probably my biggest interest next to aviation - so it was a treat for me to delve into my collection.

I made 2 CDs for her in March of this year after we had a pretty bad disagreement and they went down very well.

I am a bloke and yes, sometimes I find it hard to talk. I find it awkward quite frankly.

So I like to communicate via music.

Any opinions ?

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Sep 2005, 13:42
I've always found "Does Your Bubblegum Lose It's Flavour On The Bedpost Overnight?" particularly moving......

Grainger
13th Sep 2005, 13:47
Yeah, in the past the Compilation Tape was a sure sign that you were pretty serious about someone.

Technology moves on, so these days the Tape is a CD - but the effect is the same.

You're dead right about finding it easier to communicate through music.

Only ever done them for two people myself - the Compilation Tape once for someone when we were far apart and could only see each other very occasionally, and a CD more recently to tell someone special exactly how I felt.

[didn't do any good in the long run :{ but that's another story. . . ]

Ozzy
13th Sep 2005, 13:56
Er, you know that what you are doing is illegal, right? Sorry to rain on yer parade, but I frown on copyright infringment.:rolleyes:

Ozzy

Whirlygig
13th Sep 2005, 14:05
That's why I would like to do the songs in person!!!!

Cheers

Whirls

Lost_luggage34
13th Sep 2005, 14:11
Errm no not doing anything illegal.

Bought all of the CDs

I chose to share then - I don't see any illegality in that

Helpful comments please ......

zarniwoop
13th Sep 2005, 14:25
Just because you paid for a copy of the CD you do not have the right to make copies, all you have paid for is the right to listen to the content of the CD.

Unless you have the express permission of the copyright holder (which I doubt) then yes, you are doing something wrong, you are commiting a criminal offence. The copyright holder, or their appointed agents, are the only people who can make legal copies. That is why the record companies are chasing the on-line file sharers.

Thread drift over, normal service will now resume.

Ozzy
13th Sep 2005, 14:31
chose to share then That is exactly illegal. Look it up. (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5072564.html)

And another (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3722622.stm)

Whether you share over the internet or via CD - it is illegal.

Ozzy

Lost_luggage34
13th Sep 2005, 14:34
That is wrong - reread the manual

I am perfectly allowed to do what I wish wrt to my music collection when I have purchased them be it CD or LP.

Grainger
13th Sep 2005, 14:38
Well that's poured a bucket of cold water over everything.

Today's wet blanket award goes to . . . Ozzy

C'mon man - we're not talking about commercial advantage or anything... the Compliation Tape is a well acknowledged romantic gesture. If anything, it's likely to result in people buying far more CDs - including soppy stuff that you'd normally not bother with - so I don't think the record industry is going to be worse off.

Ozzy
13th Sep 2005, 14:38
I am perfectly allowed to do what I wish wrt to my music collection when I have purchased them be it CD or LP. Except make copies of them and give them away or sell them.:rolleyes:

Ozzy

frostbite
13th Sep 2005, 14:46
Don't any of you guys run a business that plays music to its customers! (suggestion, not question)

If you do, the nice man from the Performing Rights Society will come along and insist you pay (typically 1.5%) of your gross turnover, which he wants to know, to them - all for the privilege of playing your own CDs etc., 'to the public'.

This is LAW in this wonderful country, and explains why so many hairdressers etc., now just have a radio on.

GearDown&Locked
13th Sep 2005, 15:13
I've got the solution that will keep everybody happy in this thread (and the Performing Rights Society folks at bay!):

Do your own music. You don't need to be a Mozart. If the music is good she'll love it, if not she'll acknowledge your efforts and will love you instead. Simple math.:ok:

GD&L

P.S.- Ozzy, you sound like a barrister from across-the-pond-o-landia. :=

Flip Flop Flyer
13th Sep 2005, 15:31
I call BS! As one who does indeed compile and burn CDs from my, bought and paid for, collection of music I feel that I've paid my fair share to a bunch of already overpriced artists! So what if some guy can't buy a 4th house in the Caribbean, or some oversexed bint can have her Ferrari pimped; hardly anything I should loose any sleep over!

Therefore West Coast et al, you may kindly wind your neck in and get off your collective soap boxes!

Back on the original topic - I've not used compiled CDs as a love manifest to a present or potential GF. Might be a good idea, but I prefer to express my feelings using what limited oratorial gifts I'm blessed with. Talking to women is actually mainly about shutting up and listning, ensuring that you actually hear what they say so that you can offer the, ever so rare, comment or assurance that her arse does not look too big in a pair of Manolo's ;)

Once went ot a management skills course, the essence of which was the importance of listning and paying attention, as well as reading body language and other items of interest. At the end we were asked to list at least one situation where the skills learned could be brought to good use. My reply was something along the lines of "Friday night at the pub, trying to pull a bird". The instructor said that at least I'd shown understanding of the course topics, albeit not quite in the sense the company had intended.

Grainger
13th Sep 2005, 15:36
Yikes ! GD&L - make your own music ? you obviously haven't heard me singing !

OK, there has been some - ahem - audience participation on occasion, but mercifully, I've always been pissed enough at the time not to remember how bad it sounded ! (And equally mercifully, so has everyone else in said - er - establishment ! )

So no, I don't think I'll be doing any serenading anytime soon. :uhoh:

Taildragger55
13th Sep 2005, 15:40
Don't try to give her flowers, either, mate or some git will shop you for picking protected species.

And if you even think of serenading her on her balcony, make sure you pay the appropriate royalties to the composers of the relevant music, making sure to deduct the appropriate taxes first.

PPRuNers, what a romantic lot.
:(

flapsforty
13th Sep 2005, 20:29
Lost_luggage34 you have just me dig out a CD I got last year.

....... and have made me feel real dumb! :uhoh:

Howard Hughes
13th Sep 2005, 21:50
Lost_luggage34,

You need to watch the movie Hi Fidelity with John Cusack, kind of a love story from a blokes perspective!!

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

hemac
13th Sep 2005, 22:01
Unless you have the express permission of the copyright holder (which I doubt) then yes, you are doing something wrong, you are commiting a criminal offence

Is commiting a criminal offence the same thing as doing something wrong?

Discuss!

I can't afford tapes or CD's but I did rip a load of pages out of a poetry book and stick them together, which I duly gave to my beloved as a token of my undying love.

H.

Komba
14th Sep 2005, 12:30
LL34,

When I was 16 - which was a while ago:( a person recorded a tape for me.
I still have it and I still have fond memories of that person, so although it doesn't always guarantee a lifelong relationship, he / she will remember you. Go for it. :ok:

Windy Militant
14th Sep 2005, 14:43
This is LAW in this wonderful country, and explains why so many hairdressers etc., now just have a radio on.

Even radios are veboten I had the dubious pleasure of removing all the Radios from the Buses at a place I used to work at when the boss found out how much a licence would cost!

Jhieminga
14th Sep 2005, 14:50
Not trying to be pedantic, but isn't there a difference between putting music in the public domain (which is what sharing services basically do) and allowing a single person to listen to the tunes?

Foss
14th Sep 2005, 20:36
'Darling, I love you, here's a CD I made just for you.'
'By the way I'm on the run, can I live in your loft.'

Capn Notarious
14th Sep 2005, 22:51
I've always found "Does Your Bubblegum Lose It's Flavour On The Bedpost Overnight?" particularly moving......

In your case SRT. The record of choice. John Kettley is a Weatherman.

Ozzy
15th Sep 2005, 13:54
Not trying to be pedantic, but isn't there a difference between putting music in the public domain (which is what sharing services basically do) and allowing a single person to listen to the tunes? It's okay to play a suitably licensed (ie purchased) CD with family and friends listening together. It's okay if everyone leaves the room and the only person left is not the owner of the CD.

What you cannot do is COPY a song onto another media or device and distribute or sell it. It's just the law.There is no difference between copying and distributing (ie giving) software and music.

Ozzy

Binoculars
15th Sep 2005, 14:14
Does anybody else feel as though they've been interrupted in the middle of a fun game in the back yard by their father telling them to stop because they're wearing out the grass?

Nice one, Ozzy. :rolleyes:

djk
15th Sep 2005, 14:21
I wrote to Beethoven last year asking if I could get permission to put some of his symphonies onto a cd for my own listening pleasure, as he hasn't replied I decided to just go ahead and do it

hemac
15th Sep 2005, 14:35
I wrote to Beethoven last year

I don't think he understands English, you'll have to re-send the letter in either Italian or German.
I've heard he's a nice chap and you should have no problem getting permission, unless he's with a friend of his who is a lawyer.

H.

Taildragger55
15th Sep 2005, 15:15
I wrote to Beethoven last year

Don't bother to phone him, the poor [email protected] is deaf.

In fact don't bother him at all, he is too busy decomposing.

djk
15th Sep 2005, 15:20
hemac

what if one of his friends is Ozzy? I'd have no chance of getting permission then

phnuff
15th Sep 2005, 18:45
Yeah, in the past the Compilation Tape was a sure sign that you were pretty serious about someone

I knew it was serious with Mdm Phnuff when she created a 'calming tape' and left it at phnuff acres. A mixture of Peter Gabriel, classical and other John Taverner (who I refuse to give the credibility of a 'classical' tag) Strangely, she was never really interested in my compliation I created (Ramones, Clash, Dickies, Damned, Who), and still isn't
!!