PDA

View Full Version : EVA Interview

nickcolonial
13th Sep 2005, 13:25
I'd like to give an update for those who are thinking of applying for a job as First Officer with EVA. I went for an interview recently and thought that it was carried out in an extremely professional way. The details of interview is beyond the time limitation that I have but just a word of advice for those seeking a job with EVA,"Be professional and fly professionally". That is the key to success. They only want to see that you have the ability to succeed and improveeverytime even if you don't do well for the first time. If you are by nature a negativeperson,obviously the chances that the job will be yours remain dim. But if you go to the interview and not succeeding,consider yourself unsuitable for the job or the environment you are going to be in but remain positive.
That's all folks. Best of luck for those who dares.

Medwin
14th Sep 2005, 02:43
I agree, and they give you the result right after the interview.
I just don't like the day off that they gave me before the 2 day medical, there is nothing to do in that dormitory.:(

Lost in Saigon
14th Sep 2005, 07:28
I just don't like the day off that they gave me before the 2 day medical, there is nothing to do in that dormitory

Maybe that is part of their screening process.

If you can deal with that, you can probably put up with the rest of the crap soon to be coming your way. :D

dai chon doi
15th Sep 2005, 05:17
I'm extremely pleased you thought the interview was conducted professionally, because i'm afraid that's where it may end. currently the method of day to day operations and even a general regard for pilots welfare are average at best. don't get me wrong, there are some sterling people doing a good job in a trying enviroment, but these are in a minority. there have been endless threads on these forums regarding eva air and unfortunately a great deal of them are nearly correct.

meatbomb67
15th Sep 2005, 09:21
I had an Eva Air Interview some 4 months ago,the flight from Brisbane was quite pleasent up front in business class.
I was very impressed until i was shoved in a room at the company HQ.A TV(ok..nice..),a kettle..no tea or coffee or milk,no written information on where i could buy it either...no knowledge of where to get a bite to eat.Day 1 was a rest day,i found a staff cafeteria that served noodles for breakfast.
Lunch was provided for free,noodles & rice,something else...cant remember.
Following day at 9am was sim profile brief....a chinese FO (Robot)to be support,the B767 Fleet Capt was conducting the brief & sim assesment.I was the last of the 4 candidates into the sim,the others all complained of the same things when i quized them on how it all went....
When i arrived into the sim the support FO was sitting to attention..like a military pilot,or even a statue...he said he "really loves to flythe sim"...i think he wanted his fleet Capt (also chinese) to hear this.
The young FO was so keen once we got going,his responses to my requests were short & sharp...to the point that i did not understand him...& had to ask him to "say again".
A few times i felt like grabbing him by the neck & telling him to slow down,he took off like a race horse,anticipating & prompting me too early.
I have never flown the B767,but have 6400 hrs,1900 on a medium size jet,but could not keep up with this robot FO.
Next morning was the Interview,4 of us arrived at 9am.there were 3 contract papers on the table,& 4 of us in the room.
We sat there for 30 min until Jason(chinese) came in to meet us.
he handed the other 3 the contract papers,i didnt get 1.
We sat & listened to him for another 5 min woffle on,then he turned to me & said can i see u outside.
Basically i was on my way home that night,i caught up with the other 3 candidates at lunch....they still hadnt had the interview...in fact they had sat & waited for 4 hours in the same room,then were told to go to lunch & come back at 3PM.
The flight home was very pleasent in business class on the A330,
7 odd hrs later & i was so pleased to be back home.
I met quite a few EVA crews my 2nd night...non were very happy or said anything positive about the way they are treated,the Chinese have taken over most management positions with no experience in running an airline....i was kind of glad i didnt get an offer of employment.

Deske1
15th Sep 2005, 09:57
Welcome to Taiwan:\

Some month ago the local,chinese managment had a meeting,that why so many expats are jumping out of the ship and escapes from the training bond?

The conclusion: EVA should rise the training bond,which is now at least 40.000 USD for 4 years!

dai chon doi
15th Sep 2005, 10:14
meatbomb

it sounds all too familiar, absolutely no welcome to taiwan/eva. here's where to go for food/drink etc.. and again unfortunately the pilots you spoke to on your way back to bne are probably spot on.

deske 1
sorry but
whilst i was replying to meatbomb i noticed your post, the bond is now actually 60000usd. over a 4 year term unless you\'re from brazil, in which case as eva has a deal with varig, the bond is same amount but over a 2 year term. at eva there are contracts and there are contracts.

Deske1
15th Sep 2005, 10:37
Great!:yuk:

Is there anybody who did pay it?

BTW,is it true that EVA suspended the ELO for Europe?

dai chon doi
15th Sep 2005, 11:41
deske 1

the eol for europe is still active but as eva has implemented the b777 onto the bkk-lhr recently then the eol lhr for b747 crews has moved to ams. this was not unexpected mind you, as eva upgrades newer a/c onto premium routes.
in so far as bond paying. well there are lots of rumours. I don't know. I've heard bar stool rumours of chaps just doing bunk off's but the only definite I know is people leaving and making arrrangements to settle before hand.

nickcolonial
15th Sep 2005, 14:47
It has been a while since I read the topics. But frankly,I am not at all surprise to hear that meatbomb67 did not get the job based upon his comment. If you want to work for EVA,you should accept the terms and conditions they set for you and that is the basic rule in any work environment.
If they had not shown you where to get your lunch,to me it is very obvious that either they had forgotten or there was a mistake somewhere. All you need to do is ask as thereare bunch of people who are willing to help you out only if asked.
Regarding the sims ,I think it is wrong to accuse asim assistance as being robotive. You are the one woho need to work in a team and a professional pilot is the one who integrate well in a team and make difficult things looks easy. Obviously,this did not happen to meatbomb67 and to me it is really unfair to accuse anyone as being robotive. If you want to get a job with an airline,you should study a little about them,know what kind of people you are likely to work with. And play their games,not yours. No hard feelings but I am not surprise at all with the outcome.

dai chon doi
15th Sep 2005, 20:20
nickcolonial
I'm again very pleased by your postings here.its obvious you're keen for eva. Its commendable how defensive you are on behalf of eva ,however I would ask that you revisit these very same posts you are writing once you have actually started at eva and again 12 months after that.

nickcolonial
16th Sep 2005, 05:14
dai chon doi

Thanks for your comments. Infact,I am not at all defensive for EVA since I don't know enough about them and have not even worked there yet. But it is a fact that every company has its goods and bads. However,it is my personal experience that anyone who did not make it either through an interview or simulator say silly things about the airline. Mind you same thing happens to CAL. I just feel that it is sad for those folks who never make it through because of their attitude.
And you are probably right,if I had worked at least 12 months with them ,I might have a different opinion about them. But then again,I am an optimist not a pessimist.

Undecided username
16th Sep 2005, 05:33
We'll see about that. ;)

Deske1
16th Sep 2005, 16:06
It would worth to make a statistics about the "hard landings" at EVA or/and CAL.
The airframe of the "Dreamliner" 747-400 seems like an aged aircraft.The result of pure lack of airmanship and blindly "follow the book!"
:yuk:

but I am optimistic,so far there is no fatal crash here!:\

Iso
16th Sep 2005, 23:36
I just love to hear guys like the colon, sorry colonial being so postive about a company he doesn't have one iota of personal experience. Perhaps the nazi party had positive aspects about it too. You would think so, nice uniforms, disciplined, good equipment, vertical managment pricipals, until you joined and then asked to do things you find morally reprehensible. Now please don't allow this analogy to be any comparison to Eva, but on the same token it is hard to promote any organisation until you've had a decent look from within and without. I chance that you have done neither?

It is a good job, but there are some down sides to the place and the problem is how to address them or whom to talk to. The lack of information (structured, provided and sound) is mininal. The lack of means to communicate without fear of punishment or recrimination at a later time, is very evident in the current structure. Hence D C D's comments about not being told anything from your initial arrival until complete induction and check to line. You only find out most "things" you need to know by the other people ahead of you, and not by way of a formal introduction package. You will be expected to know yourself at a later time when you are told, "butt captain, you should know this."

The good thing about eva is that most people there with in the flight crew team are willing to help in almost everyway they can. This by far is the best part of Eva. So if you are successful on your interview, make sure you interact with the crew and ask as many questions as you can, before some asks you.

Medwin
17th Sep 2005, 05:54
Well, I just got back today from TPE with a job offer.
Yes, there's a few complains but nothing major;
1. dormitory sucks, once you check in your on your own.
2. during medical evaluation, a car dropped me off at the medical
center in TPE city and on the way home you have to take the
public transportation (its not easy, everything's written in
chinese)
3. cafeteria serves noodles for breakfast (maybe its a chinese
thing so I'll leave it alone), but you have to be in the cafeteria
on a right time otherwise you'll eat in 7-11.
4. my biggest complain is the medical,,,what is up with that?
the doctor checked my butt cr#ck, should I say more?
I'm a little bit concern about the schedule(3 weeks on, 1 week off), the PC(every 3 months) and the $60,000 4 year training bonds, other than that I'm looking forward for the 4 month training in TPE.
:ouch:

Lost in Saigon
17th Sep 2005, 18:23
the doctor checked my butt cr#ck,

It is an Asian thing. They seem very concerned about hemroids.

Undecided username
19th Sep 2005, 14:58
He must have REALLY liked you. I don't remember friends that got it THAT far ?!?!?! :O