View Full Version : I need a job

needajob01
13th Sep 2005, 12:57
I am looking for a job.( should I say "WE are looking for a job"???)
My experience is 1800h tt, some turbine time , JAA and FAA ATP.

why there is no place here where we could insert our CV on this forum?.Com'on administrator, make us a nice page for desperate pilot like me.

Do you think a Type rating on a eavy jet will give me more chance?.

many of you say there is a shortage of pilots, so let's see if it is true.!!!:hmm:

If somebody here is willing to help me, please PM me.
I can be relocated.

Left Wing
15th Sep 2005, 00:44
Talk to Oman air for 737NG job.

Pilot Pete
15th Sep 2005, 08:59
Even if the Pprune powers that be decided to provide such a facility as you suggest, I see very few airline recruiters bothering to spend the time trawling through pages of CVs on Pprune when they already have absolutely stacks of them on their desk at work. The other problem is that many require you to fill in an application form online and will not accept CVs.

I suggest you stick to the tried and trusted method of 'helping yourself' when it comes to seeking pilot employment.

Good luck.

PP

wigwag
15th Sep 2005, 10:14
needajob01

I think there are many in the same boat and PP has a very good point, so keep going with those CVs and i am sure you will get there in the end.

Good luck

WW

:ok:

Orion Man
15th Sep 2005, 10:37
The market does appear to be the best in a long time now. Plenty of jobs in Flight International in the past few weeks. That said, Delta and NorthWest filing for Chapter 11 protection is not a good development.

Regards

Orion man

needajob01
15th Sep 2005, 11:35
thank you for your replies.

Still the same on my side, many applications sent , few answers. and when they take the time to answer, all I got is "thank you for your application, we keep you on file", or reapply when you will have 20000000h on jet(the usual catch 22).

then I have some answers like this:"we have already selected our pilots, we keep your CV on file"and the pilots selected have only 300h TT.that 's come from a low cost airline in Ireland.;)

dlav
15th Sep 2005, 14:57
hey everybody, this might seem slightly stupid, but I have a few questions Id like somebody to answer if they wouldnt mind.

1.How exactly do you network with people
and make contacts with the airline recruiters?
2.How often should you send out your CV to an airline?
3.How much time would you spend a day tying to get your first job?

This may seem stupid, but when starting from scratch, the task ahead seems imense and I havent a clue where to start.

Kind regards

d l a v

scroggs
16th Sep 2005, 06:35
We do not allow advertising - including of yourself - on these forums unless you pay for it. Contact admin for the rates if you feel the need.

We will not carry CVs for individual pilots because (as PP pointed out) airlines don't need to come here to search for pilots. They are inundated with CVs already.

Scroggs

Pilot Pete
17th Sep 2005, 14:45
1.How exactly do you network with people

Not wishing to sound contrite, but you chat with them and get a relationship going! How you meet them is what you are really asking. Well, you use contacts or you cold call, the former being the easier and more likely to succeed. But, you need to put yourself into positions where you are likely to meet individuals who may be in a position to offer assistance.

If you know a pilot, say a family friend, then ask them if they could offer some advice about joining their airline. If you know no-one, then your task is harder, but not impossible. Move in circles where you may meet people, such as at a flying club, in hangars at little airfields (plenty of airline pilots fly GA in their spare time), even join the air cadets as an adult instructor....again, there are a few pilots that I know of (quite often ex-military) who instruct these youngsters. You just have to be creative.

Once you make a contact you need to be genuine though and not just after a favour. How to do this you either know or don't know, it's called personality!

The best way to get to know airline recruiters is to speak to them. Phone and see if you can talk to them. Be polite and concise and don't waste their time. If they are recruiting and you know that you meet their minimum requirements, do gently push them to see if you can get a selection. Be available at short notice for interview and employment and stress this to them. Would you drop everything and turn up the following morning if they had a short notice interview slot?? Try again a few weeks later and put yourself in the best position to get that phone call when they find themselves 'one short', by being remembered for the right reasons.

2.How often should you send out your CV to an airline?
As often as required to get a job!! But seriously though, there is no answer to this one. You have to be 'on the ball' with regards to their recruitment needs through research. Attend things like the BALPA Job Opportunities Conference (next month?) and then keep up to date through your 'networking phone calls':ok: If they are recruiting or you have added something of value to your CV (usually more hours) then send them an update and FOLLOW IT UP with a phone call to stress your avialability etc.

3.How much time would you spend a day tying to get your first job?
Depends on a number of factors. How much do you want the job? How efficient are you? How EFFECTIVE are you and how much networking and information gathering are you doing. The one thing that is guaranteed for a low houred pilot is that you won't get a job by sending the same CV each month and then sitting back on the sofa at home watching telly waiting for the phone to ring (unless you strike very, very lucky). You need to be pro-active and be selling yourself, as no-one is going to do it for you and the competition is extremely fierce. I reckon if you watch an hour or two a day of telly (as most people do) you should be using that time to increase your chances of getting a job.

Good luck dlav

PP

dlav
17th Sep 2005, 16:11
Thank you for that pilot pete. Muh appreciated