PDA

View Full Version : Brackendown Helicopter Crash

MicroFlyer
13th Sep 2005, 12:02
Just heard that a helicopter crashed in Brackendown. Has anybody got any information?

Latent Heat
13th Sep 2005, 12:25
Where the hell is Brakendown?

If this is true i hope that all are ok...fingers crossed.

wheelbay
13th Sep 2005, 13:08
looks like the wind got the better of them

Johannesburg - A helicopter crash-landed in Brackendowns south of Johannesburg on Tuesday, Ekurhuleni emergency services said.

"A two-seater chopper crash-landed in an open area.

"One man sustained minor back injuries, the other guy had nothing serious.

"They're both walking around," spokesperson Sugan Moodley said.

The helicopter was slightly damaged.

Moodley said the cause of the accident was not known, but added that it was "gusty and absolutely windy" in the area.

Police, emergency services and Rand Airport officials were on the scene, with the Civil Aviation Authority also due to arrive.

news24

ANVAK
13th Sep 2005, 13:48
Understand it was a hard landing during a training sortie (instructor rating ride). All OK and no "crash landing" - R-22 fixable and egos slightly dented.

Bosbefok
13th Sep 2005, 21:13
One questions the wisdom of practicing autos in winds gusting 35kt :confused:

NoRunWayReq
14th Sep 2005, 05:59
Sorry no offence but if you are conserned with that kind of wind then come fly in Cape Town. Thats the norm. In fact we struggle with no wind! My five cents:O

Miragepilote
14th Sep 2005, 09:18
NoRunWayReq

You're also at sea level... at 5500' pressure altitude and ISA +12, the R22 is a different beast.

Bosbefok (what a name, a man with your intelligence...;) )

Winds 30 kts, gusting 35 kts, no problem, but 5 kts gusting 35 kts could be a different ball game.

It was an instructor's check ride, so a great lesson for all in any way you look at it:

Auto's can be dangerous.
Auto's that go wrong can be survivable, thats why they keep on doing them in training. (Robbie's crash really well.)
In gusting wind, take care.
At 5500' AMSL, take care.
At sea level and no wind, take care.
All said in Safety Notice (SN) 38 is true.

Sorry for the owner!

Fortunately the guys are OK and I wish them a speedy recovery. Any clues to who they were?

They are not the first and they were not the last...:hmm:

Sandiron
14th Sep 2005, 17:08
I heard Henley had grounded its training fleet that day due to the wind.

Avi8tor
15th Sep 2005, 05:02
Must say, if ur doing full on, to the ground autorotations, a windy day is nice. Ground Speed ends up being zero. In fact 35 kts is kinda nice, still thru transition. Looking at the dust and stuff that was blowing that day, not sure how gusty it was.

One can always question the intelligence/sanity of doing power off landings in a R22. Makes u wonder if cheap is always better. But if it was for Instructors Rating prep, it is a requirement.

DualDriver
15th Sep 2005, 12:23
NoRunWayReq

I don't know where you get that in CT you guys do training at 35 kts. I know for a FACT that the training schools down there stop all dual training above 25kts (solo at 15). I think you got some duff gen!

Anyway, 35 kts in GP is a lot different to 35kts in CT.

I second miragepilote's statements....