PDA

View Full Version : Wannabes

harleybiker
23rd Feb 2001, 00:26
Anyone have any real info on the job sit,i am aiming to go for my CPL(H) from scratch.Ambitious or what,but it is a hell of a lot of time and cash to invest if the jobs are not out there.Any info or advise on this subject would be useful, no hysterical laughter please, i have had plenty of that from family and friends. Cheers

whatsarunway
23rd Feb 2001, 23:24
If its something you want to do then go for it , dont mind people laughing ,

lots of time and money to get there and not always the financial rewards at the end of the journey . but what price can you put on a job that makes you smile on a monday morning

you only live once

HOGE
24th Feb 2001, 02:00
I echo Whatsarunway's comments.
The jobs will still be there, albeit in decreasing numbers as the nature of the industry changes, but there will also probably be less people going into it since more will be choosing fixed wing for the perceived better lifestyle/career/money.
Admittedly, I also smile on a Monday morning, but only when it's a day off!, (but that would be the same whatever career I chose!) It's the best job I've had, and I'm still doing it, so it can't be that bad. If you really want to do it, do so.
How many people have said too late in life, "I wish I'd done that"?

talkturn
26th Feb 2001, 21:47
Harley
Seems to me that you have reached that point in life.
Do you make lots of money or have great fun?
Who am I to say but things are looking up for the N Sea which will have an effect down the line.
Also a commercial pilot with 155hrs (or whatever it is now) is not a great commodity so maybe it is still a bit of who you not what you konw.
Good Luck

CTD
1st Mar 2001, 20:38
If you're a Harley rider, sounds like you're a wannabe biker as well!! :)

Beemers rule!!

bovinedude
2nd Mar 2001, 00:13
CJD, if you ride a BMW, seems like youre a wannabe biker too.

CTD
2nd Mar 2001, 17:38
More correctly, I wanna be BIKING. Still buried in the white stuff here... :mad:

Apologies to harleybiker for straying off topic....

[This message has been edited by CTD (edited 02 March 2001).]

Shelldrake Spin
3rd Mar 2001, 01:58
If you want some good career advice I suggest you have a look at what PLH have to offer, you will find them at www.plh.co.uk (http://www.plh.co.uk) and let me know what you think. I think you will find them very useful.

Floppy Link
3rd Mar 2001, 03:10
CTD, this white stuff is great.....just put the bike away and get the snowboard out!

re careers(H) remember this is not a drill! If you want to do it then find a way and do it! The saddest words are "If only I had..."

Just off to pray for more snow....
FL

Fatspice
3rd Mar 2001, 03:39
Harleybiker, Go for it. I'm in similar situation but am trying to find someone else to pay for it! I've got about as much chance as I have using a chocolate tea-pot! Best of luck. :)

The Governor
3rd Mar 2001, 05:58
I was in the same position only three years ago and now I'm flying 212 in the Caribbean. Not too bad. You will always regret the career that got away if you don't take the plunge.

As to the job situation, most of the pilots where I'm based aged over 45-50 (80% of the total number) are all saying that the next ten years are going to be great for pilots as the shortage of qualified personnel hits. Note "qualified" in the last sentence, the trick is getting the right qualifications for the operators requirements.

Good Luck.

Thomas coupling
3rd Mar 2001, 15:55
Governor, what do you do in the Caribbean, sounds exotic, what are the working conditions like, are you an expat now?

Just curious.. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

------------------
Thermal runaway.

The Governor
3rd Mar 2001, 17:01
Thomas

I'm a contract pilot for Britow Caribbean Ltd flying 212/412 to offshore installations in Trinidad. I came down here to fly sightseeing tours in a 206 on Tobago and it developed into the Bristow job. I'm an expat for the next year or two depending on how long it looks like before I get my command here.

The hours are good, usually 5-7 a day and I work 6 on and 3 off (6 on includes 2 night standbys). Weather is predictably good, occasional TS and showers and the odd day of IMC. Very low cost of living so the pay goes further than at home. Hope this answers any questions

The Governor

harleybiker
5th Mar 2001, 21:06
Message to ctd,i have a Harley chop,gsx1100 streetfighter and am buildng a fz600 hardtail chop.Running a BM you sound like a r.u.b,matching leathers and impress the neighbours? Weekend warrior,live the lifestyle or get out of my face

CTD
6th Mar 2001, 16:53
Did I miss something?

[This message has been edited by CTD (edited 06 March 2001).]

Tiercel
6th Mar 2001, 18:18
Message to harley.....sounds like you're the weekend warrior, mate, with your 'get oudda my face' attitude and 'choppers'. What a throwback. Bet you got all the studded leathers, bandanas and Mommy tattoo as well then?

You'll certainly be a joy to fly with, that is if your attitude doesn't stop you getting that CPL. Lighten up.

harleybiker
7th Mar 2001, 23:37
The clubs i run with and the people i party with do not take kindly to being called wannabe biker.If you new half off the **** i have gone through to live a life i want and look the way i want then you MAY have some understanding of how much you piss me off, anyway wrong forum for this topic.Goodnight.

whatsarunway
12th Mar 2001, 03:17
harley ,have duke 900 monster , v-twins rule ,
its amasing the **** you have to put up with , helis and bikes.

Ciao
:)

harleybiker
16th Mar 2001, 01:46
Yep thanks for your support, i have no probs with anyone taking the rise from the bike i ride but i do object to anyone taking the p*** of a life i have chosen.Throwback?Maybe but i have the miles under my boots and now i hope to put the hours under them.V Twins, yes have to agree. Recent convert but now a big fan.I hope that we can close this topic now as i do not feel it is the right place for it, however many thanks for all those people who have given me advise and help on my orignal question.