PDA

View Full Version : Will Bmi charge for drinks on Longhaul?

expelair
12th Sep 2005, 10:39
Will bmi be charging for drinks in economy from the 28th October?
Rumour says that it will, I wonder how that will effect bookings in the future as we don’t exactly give away that much on the BOM sector and I’ll bet the Riyadh flight will be interesting once out of Saudi air space.
:suspect: :ouch: :suspect: :ouch: :confused: :confused:

lexxity
12th Sep 2005, 11:37
If they do start charging it will be down the back only.
I know a lot of LH crew at MAN thought it would be a good idea to do this, especially on the MANLAS route.
All the american carriers charge, this will be a good little money spinner for bmi.

philip2004uk
12th Sep 2005, 12:54
Do you mean no free can of coke as i always get free soda on them flights.

lexxity
12th Sep 2005, 13:05
No, soft drinks would still be free, but your jack to go in it would be chargable.

PAXboy
12th Sep 2005, 15:06
Probably inevitable. If the direct competition are doing it, then the line has already been broken.

Personally, I do not chose my airline on whether they charge for drinks and food. There are far more important criteria! For starters, does it go from my nearest field to the one nearest my destination? Etc.

whattimedoweland
12th Sep 2005, 19:32
Would'nt be a bad idea.I work for another carrier but flew on American recently and when chating to their crew they mentioned how few incidents they get now with drunk and abusive passengers Ddue to charging for drinks.

As always the majority are sensible with their drink but a few give us crew real problems.

WTDWL.

tailchase
13th Sep 2005, 08:27
I dream of being able to afford to travel at my expense anywhere out of the crisp bag catering style cabin. Recently traveled LHR to LAX and back with United at peak school hols with 2 kids and I'm sure that although $5 a drink was bringing some cash into cash starved airlines it faded into insignificance with the extra revenue being raised at over £700 a ticket - especially when you now see what BA are offering, and others will follow, now that the captive market has gone away (until Xmas that is).

It seems inevitable that all long haul will follow to help with avoiding extra fuel charge costs if nothing else. If it ever spread beyond economy then what would the charge be for the premier cru and likes being served up front? Would the business class lounges charge also? How long will it be before food charges are rolled out as with charter flights to the Med etc.......I think I will try and get a concession stand going in T3 LHR to sell packed meals!

Silver and Gold Card holders watch this space.

apaddyinuk
13th Sep 2005, 12:36
Well BMI seem to be copying Aer Lingus' every step so it wouldnt surprise me if they did start charging!!