PDA

View Full Version : From 0 to bush / <any paid> flying in Africa

Spitfire78
12th Sep 2005, 07:51
This is a not-so hypothetical question, though will probably take a few years to realise.

I'm one of them highly reflective Cape Town / West Coast born-and-breds, now approaching 30 at the speed of white light, currently serving my sentence in the UK doing IT (managed to fool people for around 10 years I know what I'm doing, and that I enjoy it)

Missus Spitfire would like nothing more than living somewhere in Africa, earning a living by looking after/feeding/helping tourists/people/animals.

Me? I just want to fly. So if these two are combined that leaves me flying anything/allsorts 'somewhere in Africa'

I currently have an opportunity to go and work in the US - the main driver behind this for me is cheap flying (at least a 2 year sentence, with no chance of parole). Or I can learn in the UK (kerching). Or I can go home (SA) and learn there.

So... which of these (US, UK, or SA) would be the best starting point - PPL - to build on to avoid least duplication of effort later on with exams/ratings to fly in Africa? Or does this vary from country to country? And realistically which sort of experience (ratings and hours) should I accumilate before even thinking of starting to do this for bread and butter? (Jam every now and then would be nice, though not required!)

Any thoughts apreciated!

SF78

birdlady
12th Sep 2005, 11:48
Spitfire,

South Africa would definately be the place to train if you want to work in Africa. The states is an option too, a lot of chartering companies dont mind you having an FAA licence. However, a ZA licence is just as good and will be a lot cheaper in the long run. Jobs here are few and far between but if your dedicated and passionate enough you will get there in the end. Realistically though a lot of chartering companies require a lot of hours before they will except you... Ive heard anything from a 1000hrs to 1500hrs upwards. Botswana is supposed to be a good place for fresh comms but Im not sure what the situation is there at the moment. Ive heard good things about Namibia too. Expect to be paid peanuts by these companies. South Africa - forget it. You wont get a position here with less than a 1000hrs especially if your a white male. Im not being exactly PC here but Im telling it like it is. Instructing is your only option here in SA with low hours. Its a huge risk to take when you've got a family to support. It depends on whether or not your willing to take the risk. If not, I suggest you come out here for PPL and hour building then do CPL and Multi IR in the UK. If you've got 70 000 pounds to spare go and do an intergrated course at oxford..... I've heard guys come out of there with 250 hrs and get a FO position with one of the airlines... not guaranteed but your best bet. What I suggest is that you come out here on holidays and check the place out... see if you and your wife are really capable of living the bush life. It sounds romantic but in reality it can be a very hard life for some.

Just my 2 c worth......... :ok: :ok: :ok:

Spitfire78
13th Sep 2005, 10:11
Hmm... yes seemed to have misplaced my spare £70k. anybody seen it?

Any particular reason you suggest the CPL and Multi IR in the UK as opposed to SA?

Thanks for the advice!

(Mrs SF is currently doing a volunteer job for a conservation outfit in Kenya and is not exactly keen on coming back to the UK, quite the opposite... but we'll see at the end of the 3 month stint once the 'honeymoon' is over!!)

birdlady
13th Sep 2005, 15:44
Well if your wife is keen and your keen then I say do it. However do realise, and I cant stress this enough, you will be living on the breadline....... Pay is absolute rubbish for those just starting off - if your lucky to get something although having said that you might get lucky. I see Ryan air is recruiting at the moment........ they will take you on as a cadet with 200hrs TT - over here you have no chance with the airlines (okay you have to pay for a type rating but that's besides the point). Go in here with 200 hrs TT and they will laugh in your face........ amongst other things. From what I gather your not keen on the airlines - but it proves a point. Its not for everyone but you have to make up your mind and weigh up the pros and cons........... :ok: :ok:

Coleman Myers
14th Sep 2005, 12:11
If you come to kenya to fly bring a large dose of patience and your boxing gear - KCAA very tricky

Spitfire78
22nd Feb 2006, 11:54
Wake up sleepy thread :zzz:

So things have moved on a bit - as they do. I no longer have the opportunity to go and work in the US (visa turned down) and so I'd expect the TSA might be a tad hesitant to let me go train there anyway.

We've been back to Kenya for a second time now and still feel in the long run we belong in Africa. (although the final moments on Kenyan soil was hardly fun... ever try to leave Mombassa on a Saturday morning ?)

So that leaves SA and UK for training, and was wondering why the advice before was to do the PPL and hourbuilding in SA, then the CPL, multi and IR in the UK? Is this purely for cost purposes initially, and can one start the JAA CPL based on a SA PPL and the necessary hours without too much hassle?

Thanks in advance!

SF78

Jockflyer
22nd Feb 2006, 13:51
Spitfire78,
If I was in your position, then I would do my com in SA. Don't bother with the IR just yet, as all bush flying in a single will be VFR. Then get your arse into Zambia. The is a camp in the west run by a guy called Ed. They have there own C210, and have a pilot based at the camp. The like having a husband and wife team there. The flying is pretty good, and the pay not bad ($1500USD /month, accom included).
So you'll get to do some good flying, be with your wife most nights, live in a bush camp (a very nice one by all accounts), and earn reasonable money. You get 90-100hrs per month, so after 3 yrs you be able to study for your ATP, and that will open more lucrative doors.
Downside is the the guy can be a little tricky to work for. THere is a thread about him somewhere on this forum. I'll have a look, and try to get the name.
The camp have a tie up with Staravia in Lusaka (they do the maintainence), so they would be a starting point.
Don't do your licence in the UK if thats not where you want to be. TOO MUCH MONEY!!!
Good luck.
JF

Further investigation has come up with the camp name Lunga Camp, and the owner is Ed Smythe. Good luck.

Ingwe
23rd Feb 2006, 16:38
Spitfire

Have started doing the JAA exams through Bristol they're very good wrote first 8 and managed to pass all to my amazement. The good thing about doing the distance learning is that 1)it's a lot cheaper than the full course and 2)pay your £70 for the on line data base and you've got all the JAA questions and answers at your disposal, learn these and that's 80% of your exam!!

My six pence.

Bush flying in Africa is a lot of fun and I wouldn't change my career path. You're looking at 2 very different approaches to flying. The European air lines want low hour guys with fresh licences and are untainted by other procedures. If you want to get into heavy metal then stay in UK get you're JAA and Hr build in USA. As birdlady says if you come back to Africa pay is K*&^!! at the bottom. You can instruct which is good experience but doesn't pay, or try your luck in Zambia, Botswana, Namibia but you MUST go there and meet the companies personally as email won't work. Worked in Kenya for a bit but they're making it harder and harder for foreigners all the time. There is always the contract route but expect to be away from home most of the time.

Good luck:ok: