PDA

View Full Version : Teddy Bear???

Rakshasa
12th Sep 2005, 05:12
I keep hearing bits and pieces about a teddy bear being flown around every UK airbase. Is someone pulling my leg or has anyone else heard about this? :confused:

Wycombe
12th Sep 2005, 09:24
Not sure about this, but the RIAT Volunteers have one (can't remember the name) that has done a lot of display flying. Has his own logbook with some very exotic entries!

diginagain
12th Sep 2005, 09:39
I keep hearing bits and pieces about a teddy bear being flown around every UK airbase. Is someone pulling my leg or has anyone else heard about this?

Flown, or thrown?

I had to ask.

rej
12th Sep 2005, 09:47
I used to work with the chap (Sgt FOM) who was a major player in the project. They had a book commissioned and also drafted in the help of Gabby Roslin for the publicity. If you need more info anout Harry Air Bear (I think that was what they called him) please PM me and I will put you in touch with the main man (and I don't mean the bloody bear!!!).

John Eacott
12th Sep 2005, 11:07
Full story from RAF Wittering, here. (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafwittering/news02.html)

Although it was last updated in June 2003, and I can't find any reference to the auction mentioned in the first paragraph? Wish I had that many types in my logbook ;) :ok:

Rev I. Tin
12th Sep 2005, 12:40
Rej,

Didn't the Eastern Radar (Premier Radar Unit - Hurrah) plaque/stuffed bird/thingy do the rounds in the odd sortie or three?
Sure I saw something about it in the cabinet next to the MASOR plastic flowers.

God Bless

FOMz
12th Sep 2005, 13:07
Pah!!!
East is least, West is best!!:)

Rev I. Tin
12th Sep 2005, 13:38
Now who do I know in Lye Ops ex-London Radar?

Erm, dunno.

God bless you whoever you are.

moony
12th Sep 2005, 20:12
East is least, West is best - Southern was heaven!

Rev I. Tin
12th Sep 2005, 20:18
Where does Midland Radar (and their overhead) fit into this?
Apart from in the middle!

God bless ... Eastern

Talking Radalt
12th Sep 2005, 21:44
I used to work with the chap (Sgt FOM) who was a major player in the project. They had a book commissioned and also drafted in the help of Gabby Roslin for the publicity. If you need more info anout Harry Air Bear (I think that was what they called him) please PM me and I will put you in touch with the main man (and I don't mean the bloody bear!!!).
Does this tie-in with the secondary duties thread at all? Mmmm? Anyone? :hmm:

rej
13th Sep 2005, 08:27
The plaque and stuffed pheasant did a considerable amount of travelling (including during the premier radar units 5 millionth movement thanks to BA). In typical RAF style, sometimes the travels were not unit auth'd!!

As for the comments on the various units, as I have penned earlier, Eastern will always be premier when compared to the 'Blue Oyster' boys, and the part timers on west. As for Midland, I'm supprised they even got a mention!

Background Noise
13th Sep 2005, 08:37
100 Sqn had a bear during the 2004 display season from the Great North Air Ambulance to help raise funds. It flew in a great number of aircraft including displays and op missions. It even flew in the Rutan space mission.

NoseGunner
13th Sep 2005, 11:08
Long live Sammy the Seal!:D
:cool:

overkill
19th Sep 2005, 12:39
Details on the bear can be found at wwwlinxdesign.co.uk/harry and the book purchased at www.spieglpress.co.uk £5 to charity £5 to the printers.

MadsDad
19th Sep 2005, 12:58
Didn't notice a teddy bear but there was a large Tigger peering out of the window of one of the static exhibits at Yeovilton on Saturday.

As mate's wife said "I don't fancy the look of that pilot!".

Clockwork Mouse
20th Sep 2005, 13:01
I have a photo of the beast in distinguished company. How do I get an image into a post?

Talking Radalt
20th Sep 2005, 13:40
As mate's wife said "I don't fancy the look of that pilot!".

Blimey! Small world, I once knew a pilot's mate who said "I don't fancy the look of that wife!" :)