PDA

View Full Version : AUH splitting from GF

boiler
12th Sep 2005, 04:51
The Arabic newspaper Akhbar Al-Khaleej is reporting that AUH has taken the decision (and is about to announce) its split from GF leaving Bahrain and Oman as the sole owners. Not much details beyond that. Any other details welcome.

Air_Dream
12th Sep 2005, 14:08
Another one bites the dust....

All the better without AUH anyway. - We don't have much traffic to AUH. Its really just BAH and MCT where the passengers go anyway.

I saw another first today - KTM direct from BAH (all economy - maybe Gulf Traveller A/C?), maybe they are already scaling back from AUH.

Whats happening to GAMCO if there is a full pullout + where will the servicing be done? Any plans to open up a hanger in BAH or MCT?

Bedouin
13th Sep 2005, 06:28
It’s in all the newspapers today, Abu Dhabi to pull out. Discussion will be held next week in Muscat on how. Yet still no response from any in management to reassure future of Gulf Air's UAE staff. Apparently it was advised to management 2 days ago; papers are informed yet staff as usual knows nothing.

Up for discussion will have to be the future of Gulf Traveller, the retirements of the B767 fleet and a reduction of aircraft. Abu Dhabi is the second biggest hub in Gulf Air so there will be a reduction in traffic and it has been an important owner without Abu Dhabi, Gulf Air, would not be here today.

So those people who were forced to Abu Dhabi for Gulf Traveller will be relocated again. Where to next, Muscat, and in 2 years time to be told they are pulling out?

The crew in Abu Dhabi has now an uncertain future. Will Gulf Air sign any No Objection Certificate or Transfer Form? I believe change of ownership is an exemption so Emirates and Etihad if you need crew give them a call I am sure many would like to stay in the UAE.

We knew it would happen one day, so good luck to all and I do hope for the sake of the staff in Gulf Air they have a plan that includes all of us in the company.

boiler
13th Sep 2005, 07:44
The only strong markets in AUH would probably be the ISC and PAK. That will be a big hit on GF. Otherwise, I would agree with Air Dream that AUH traffic is relatively small with most of the passengers connecting anyway. Those can be transferred to BAH and MCT. But can MCT airport handle this? That is yet to be seen. So if AUH pulls out in 6 months, it seems to me the airport will be more empty than usual given it will take EY a long time before they can serve all the routes GF used to. Even though they are getting the 777, most of them will be for long-haul and not short-hops to ISC and back.

west of 30w
13th Sep 2005, 09:06
I'm sure you are right about the connecting pax, they will just route via BAH instead, but is it not the money that AUH puts into GF more of the issue?
They do seem to me, to be the biggest in terms of cash of the three partners.
I wish all at GF well and hope their future is bright.

apaddyinuk
13th Sep 2005, 12:41
Well surely concentrating its fleet and network to BAH and MCT will help improve effeciency and create a better hub network for the company. I could never understand how so many basis for a single airline of its size and in that region could have been efficient but then it is the middle east!

Fox3snapshot
13th Sep 2005, 12:45
That's made my mind up on contracts....back to Muscat and the Al Ghazel bar it is! :p

Air_Dream
13th Sep 2005, 14:08
Read the company email from James Hogan about AUH - it just seems very sad. Yes I suppose we all knew it was going to happen but ah well.

At least we will have the aircraft to fly the new JNB and DUB routes for the winter schedule as they'll probably pull direct services to AUH, right?

Any news on GAMCO? Will GF sell its stake in the company?

Hmm.. I don't envy the people who have to sort out the new winter timetable.

doniacleavage
13th Sep 2005, 15:15
Etihad will have exclusivity to Morroco and CIS, it will lighten the burden on us morrocan girls here!

I hear that there are also plans using the money saved to open a theme park next to the marina called Puttana land, any news?

billy34-kit
14th Sep 2005, 05:29
Time to update your CV gentlemens!!!

boeingdriverx
14th Sep 2005, 06:35
I agree with all of you, but it is maybe good to notice that Abu Dhabi is pulling out as a Gulf Air Shareholder, it doesnt necessarily imply that GF will have to stop operating out of Abu Dhabi... Get my point ? Even if I agree in the long term, it will reinforce EY position...

BDX

billy34-kit
14th Sep 2005, 07:45
From the press

''The project, led by Hogan, also created a second livery, Gulf Traveller in 2003 positioned in Abu Dhabi in an apparent bid to satisfy the emirate's demand to have a larger share of Gulf Air's operation.''

Then now what it's going to happen to GT since the emirate have no more share of Gulf air?

Do Gulf air still operate flight out of Quatar, since Quatar withraw in 2002?

gulfboy
14th Sep 2005, 07:55
Good point from the person a few post previous...
Management could have known that the UAE (is that United Asshole Emirate??) is about to pull out of GF.
How else could they have made plans for JNB and DUB etc. We were short of aircraft as it is. And crews should be happy to have fewer night-stops at "Camp X-ray" (the joke of a "hotel" called "Armed Forces"). In any case, if BAH decides to can GF, they might as well shut down the country.

SandIgger
14th Sep 2005, 09:48
will lighten the burden on us morrocan girls here.... a theme park... called Puttana landThe load on you morrocan girls will be happily provided by the locals as usual.... But you spelt Punanny Land wrong. :rolleyes:

Dixons Cider
14th Sep 2005, 10:50
Got to agree with previous posts - this all had to have been decided a long time back. Just that the time has come to announce it.

Its got to be a good thing for GF and the boys and girls there. No more hindrance from AUH, after all EY is competing.

It'll also allow a vacuum for the private investment to step in, and it wouldn't surprise me if the fleet plans are laid out on the table as well.

But most importantly, it will hopefully mean less nights in that hell hole camp xray in AUH!

mali
14th Sep 2005, 12:03
Dixon
Once again, thous hast spoken with great clarity and insight.

As always, you leave me breathless with your abilities to grasp what, to others, may be obtuse - subjects and concepts beyond our understanding. To take hold of the words and arrange them in such a way as to allow the rest of the blessed reading population to understand what was, not long ago, indeed; an incomprehendible subject to them. To allow them to enter into the fold of understanding.

You're greatness is astounding to all those who know you.
I pray to thee, do continue to spill your words upon this screen for our betterment

For this I am, and forever will be - eternally grateful.

:} :}

crazy_max
15th Sep 2005, 07:34
Actually Puttana Land is correct....Check your italian dictionary.
Right on spot.

scanscanscan
16th Sep 2005, 13:08
Will Gulf Air be able to survive and expand without AUH as a shareholder?

Xshongololo
17th Sep 2005, 17:57
With the recent news of Abu Dhabi departing from Gulf Air what is the general consensus of this impact on GF.
I think this is not good news for GF. GF cannot compete with Etihad and much of their route network was through Abu Dhabi and now that appears to be gone.
Is this grim days ahead or is this a breath of air freshner.

ironbutt57
17th Sep 2005, 22:35
I would suspect so:cool: