PDA

View Full Version : Ethiopian Airlines & Kenya Airways

ZAZOO
12th Sep 2005, 00:44
Hardly get any news or postings here with regards to this two airlines!!!

Anybody here fly for them. Interesting fleet. Read some articles about new aircraft orders. They seem to be doing ok, always nice to see them in Lagos or hear them on the VHF.
Do they recruit expats or are all crew nationals.

Zazoo

Recuperator
12th Sep 2005, 20:24
I flew with Ethiopian Airlines when SAA dropped us and we were stranded in Jhb Intl. Initially I was a bit reluctant, but after the experience all I can say is thumbs up to EA! Friendly service from the hosties and hosts, good food and a pleasant flight overall.

An unusual occurrence happened. While my hand luggage was checked, in transit from Addis, my jacket went through the x-ray scanner. In the process my wallet fell out in the machine. I did not realise this.

While sitting on the aircraft waiting for departure a single employee of EA came up to me and asked me for my boarding pass. Reluctantly I handed it to him, thinking I was going to be harassed as nearly standard practice with SAA crews.

To my surprise he handed me my wallet. With a friendly "have a nice flight sir", and he was off before I could even thank him properly.

I checked my wallet and the US$ 900, 200 Euros cash and 2 credit cards and several other notes were untouched, and nothing was missing!!

So not just was I impressed with their service, but also their honesty and integrity.

They are getting a couple of new Airbus Aircraft soon, and even if the country might be poor and apparently not much of a tourist destination, the stop over in Addis Ababa was good, the beer cold and the people friendly and helpful and the flights were comfortable and pleasant.

Maybe our national carrier SAA can learn something from our smaller neighbours and their carriers about honesty and integrity and just plain and simple offering of good service in general.

So if this says anything about airline and their ethics, maybe it isn’t such a bad place to work for.
:ok:

mini
13th Sep 2005, 01:50
Kenya get my thumbs up, never had a problem with times/service etc.

Ethiopian would get similar verdict. They use a 75 for long haul to LHR but the sevice is first class and reasonable ticket price. Use F50 (last one made) for internal flights, including gravel strips & no probs, if it's good they go if not they say ney & land you at the nearest tarmac with the offer of a bus... (!)

Good freight rates if you negotiate properly...

Kenuck
21st Sep 2005, 18:35
In response to the original question about recruitment at Kenya Airways: KQ currently only hires Kenyan Nationals. The exception are the 20 or so pilots on the 737-200 who are expats. However, the 737-200s are being phased out beginning in January of next year and will be replaced with 737-800s. No Expat crew will be hired after the -200 crew leave.

Cheers

High 6
22nd Sep 2005, 11:09
I have flown Ethiopian quite often recently due to some business arrangements in Addis Ababa and I have found them extremely good. They put a lot of first world airlines to shame. The new terminal in Addis is also world class and a credit to the people.

fly_boy100
22nd Sep 2005, 11:40
KQ only hires Kenyan's as stated in following threads. Once flew with an all female crew (front and back) - GREAT airline - super friendly staff, very accomodating, SAA STINKS!!!!! I have such bad service on that Airline I avoid them at all costs!!

Stick with KQ - upgrading fleet as well - new livery and has won awards for best airline - also they MAKE money and don't squeeze "Head Office" for more to prop it up!! Probably one of if not the only one of Africa's Airline success stories!

:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Sep 2005, 11:49
Pretend you're a vegetarian next time you fly KQ. They serve a good vegetable curry.:ok: