PDA

View Full Version : Belfast Fly-over?

wingman863
10th Sep 2005, 18:56
Hi,
Was just wondering if any of you chaps could shed any light on what seemed to be a formation of military aircraft flying very low over Belfast at 1950 BST on Saturday. I didnt actually see the aircraft but from the noise and the plumes of smoke which were left behind at low level would suggest some sort military display going on.

Just curious, many thanks.

benedictus
10th Sep 2005, 19:23
It was the red Arrows going into Belfast from Leuchars after an unsuccessful attempt at a flypast at the Proms in Glasgow (low cloud)

Governormalfunction
11th Sep 2005, 09:57
Just as well the airspace was clear of both PSNI and mil aircraft monitoring the good citizens of Belfast, and that none of those aircraft were asked to leave Belfast City ATZ to allow these wasters through on the busiest day in the rioting calender this year..............

or B

P.S. Will the Reds now have enough accumulated time in province to get awarded the GSM (NI)???

wingman863
11th Sep 2005, 16:10
I dont think they would have posed a problem. They were so bloody low; or at least appeared to be. Even that EC135 the PSNI now have to play with wouldnt go that low. It hovers a bit higher, just out of RPG range ;-) Plus they came in from the south which is the more gentile side of the city where we just chuck handbags and the odd brick of brie at each other.

Farrell
12th Sep 2005, 08:39
Wingman.....

Would that be down in the Stranmillis direction!!??

I used to live in Cultra.....just between Holywood and that God awful riff raff town called Bangor.

Some great golfing there along the sea and of course you have the Culloden Hotel, which wis always so nice for a spot of Sunday lunch.......more tea vicar?? :p

Spacer
12th Sep 2005, 08:59
Farrell: Nothing wrong with Bangor.... some fine establishments there.... Boom Boom Room, etc ;)

wg13_dummy
12th Sep 2005, 12:42
Lets hope the Boyos or the 'Loyalists' don't cotton on. The next time they want to do something naughty and ensure no 'spies in the skies' are watching them, all they need to do is book the Reds and et voila - no invasive top cover to catch them at it. A 50 mile radius will be clear of operational aircraft to allow the smooth transit of the team. Good show!

wingman863
12th Sep 2005, 15:55
Not quite stranmillis but quite nearby just off the malone/lisburn road. Havn't been to the Culloden myself in a while but it was very good any time I did go.

The rioting has really kicked off again but from what I hear, the rioters met with the PSNI and called a tea break until after the rush hour. Whether or not this is true, I doubt will be made clear. How very decent of them all the same... It will be a pleasure to see them resume their evenings fun, safe in the knowledge that they have had time for tea and a digestive. Nothing like getting a plastic bullet to the head with an empty stomach.;)

teeteringhead
14th Sep 2005, 11:53
which is the more gentile side of the city .... so remind me .... which is the jewish quarter .......

Melchett01
14th Sep 2005, 22:07
.... so remind me .... which is the jewish quarter .......

The ones you see wandering round town happily using Orange phones :E

Then again, best not - we are a bit deep into the Marching Season for those sort of jokes :\