PDA

View Full Version : Dubai / Dublin

fastbuck
10th Sep 2005, 18:03
Heard a rumour Dubai /Dublin may be a 4 x a week poss.?? Anyone wish to comment?

Sheikh Your Bootie
10th Sep 2005, 19:07
Just a rumor bud, nothing more than that, until its on the bid system :E

SyB :zzz:

Left Coaster
11th Sep 2005, 04:31
Wouldn't surprise me...GF starts BAH DUB shortly. Can't have the competition get away with stealing a few pax now can we? So up the available seats and double the departures and make sure that even though money will be lost by doing it, the bragging rights stay intact. Seems to be how your boss thinks it should be run.:p

akerosid
12th Sep 2005, 21:17
Has been rumoured in Ireland that it'll be a codeshare with EI.

GF is starting as you say, so it won't do to waste too much time. Surprised that they'd start with just four per week; perhaps five minimum, working up to daily.

boiler
13th Sep 2005, 03:47
There could be many resons for 4/wk instead of 5. One would be the fact there is still not enough demand and that needs to be 'grown' with time. Lack of aircraft is another. And of course slots problems. Who knows. If AUH is splitting, GF might be able to make it a daily service sooner than expected.

akerosid
15th Sep 2005, 03:48
In an interview with the Irish media, former Emirates executive Dermot Mannion said that he would not be surprised if EK launched a service to DUB, which was why it was important that EI got "first mover advantage"; EI is expected to announce its first non-US long haul route next month.

fastbuck
8th Oct 2005, 16:27
I heard that it won't be happening anytime soon unfortunately.

akerosid
10th Oct 2005, 11:12
I wonder if this is because a deal has been done with EI, which has been reported as being interested in flying to DXB. As stated above, however, ex-EK Finance boss Dermot Mannion has suggested EK might be flying to DUB, but with EI looking to start Eastbound long hauls ex-DUB, he won't be sorry to see EK cancelling or delaying plans.

They should have got in before GF; still, their loss. An airline with a shopping list of the size EK has can't afford to miss chances like this. :rolleyes: :*

ruserious
10th Oct 2005, 11:33
Yeh, but the question is, will GF still go there with their separation from Abu Dhabi?

Frozen Turtle
10th Oct 2005, 12:59
AUH has no effect. At the present time GF is touring across Ireland promoting the new route. Jimmy Hogan is at location himself trying his best.
Flights will commence as planned. :p

akerosid
22nd Oct 2005, 12:47
Rumours abound that EI has indeed decided on services to DXB; remains to be seen if this is on its own or in c/s with EK. Would suspect the latter, given DM's previous employment.

One factor influencing this will be lack of aircraft and near impossibility of getting A330s or even 340s in secondhand/lease market; better to fly to DXB with a 5-6 wkly frequency, rather than HKG (believed to be next choice) at 2-3 weekly. EI also needs to bear in mind need for capacity next Summer, as Open Skies on t/a routes opens up new opportunities (despite best efforts of the Irish govt).

Hopefully, EI will time its DXB schedule to fit in with EK hub ops.

fastbuck
27th Oct 2005, 15:53
Its been announced EI will do Dublin/Dubai in march .

akerosid
27th Oct 2005, 17:47
Flights go on sale on the 3rd November, 3 weekly with A330s. I sincerely hope EI puts a bit of effort into its service product.

I'm also wondering if this will be a codeshare with EK, or just a spoiler, to keep EK out of DUB. Remember, EI wants to expand into other Asian markets (and CPT as well) and with EK (as Dermot Mannion knows well) being pretty aggressive competitors, one of the objectives would have been to keep EK out, even if that involves codesharing with them.

I still think EK missed a chance by not getting into DUB ahead of GF, which starts in December. Okay, DUB mightn't be as glamorous as other big markets, you now see EK going to places like Accra and Abidjan, which can't possibly be as lucrative as DUB would have been. Their loss. Had their chance; blew it.

bigilla
27th Oct 2005, 20:20
QUOTE .......now see EK going to places like Accra and Abidjan, which can't possibly be as lucrative as DUB would have been. Their loss. Had their chance; blew it
-----------------------------------

Dunno about that. West Africa is bringinging in a lot of money for EK. Lagos/Accra will now split to 2 seperate flights (with Accra being paired to Abidjan) and hence a large increase in capacity.

Tis indeed a shame we're not flying to Dublin though - would make a smashing layover (although knowing EK, we'd stay at some miserable airport hotel....)

P.S. imagine the confusion when selecting a VOR in the FMGS for the approach - DUB or DUB ....:}

akerosid
28th Oct 2005, 02:08
It's just as well you use the ICAO code for Moscow, or else you'd be looking at DMEs from DME!

Oh well, hopefully Aer Lingus will work with EK anyway. I can see DXB being quite popular with Irish tourists - particularly those wanting to buy property. Look at the huge amounts being spent by Irish people in the UK. With Irish house prices going through the roof, Dubai might be an option for young Irish people anxious to get on the property ladder.

akerosid
20th Nov 2005, 09:42
Given EK's new order just announced and the expected order for A350s and/or 787s, I was just wondering if they can afford to let opportunities like this slip by? Ireland could be a potentially good market for EK - true, not as big as many of them, but it is Europe's fastest growing and second wealthiest economy ... and EK's going to throw in the towel just because EI is adding three flights a week?

If you look at EI's new route, it seems obvious that their main objective is to stop EK coming in. It might make sense for EI, but from a wider Irish perspective, it's not good news ... EI is trying to enter interline deals with everyone but EK at DXB (which doesn't leave a lot of choice). Much as I encourage EI to expand eastwards, I've always believed EK could do good business in Dublin. The prospect of having EK flying in here, with the incentive to market Ireland aggressively in many new (for Ireland) and important markets, is incredibly important and certanly, too big to be scuppered by three weekly flights by EI.

Come on guys, get in ... don't miss the chance! It's already been rumoured that QR is interested in DUB-DOH. EK should have been in there ages ago, but let's not waste any more time.