PDA

View Full Version : Contracting RN???

Ghostie31
10th Sep 2005, 11:19
Hey,
im desperate to become a fast jet pilot in the armed services but there has been a lot of talk about the RAF being reduced in size.
Just wondering if anyone knows if the same thing is happening to the FAA and if ive got more chance of becoming a pilot with them.

Thanks

ZH875
10th Sep 2005, 12:51
Considering the FAA will have no FJ after 2007 until something similar to JSF enters service (well) after 2012, if you don't want to fly a helicopter then the slimline RAF is the only choice you have.

Ghostie31
10th Sep 2005, 12:53
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Any tips on making my application to SUAS any better? Or is keeping fit the only thing i can do for now?
Thanks
Ghost

althenick
10th Sep 2005, 13:34
ghostie,

The FAA Will be flying FJ's - just not there own - As of next year they will be flying RAF GR7's & 9's. Currently the 2 Naval Gr squadrons will probably be short-handed due to the FAA's continuing commitment to FA2. Either way if you want to fly Harrier or JSF the chances are you'll end up at sea for 8 months - You should also consider this before applying.

Gary Lager
10th Sep 2005, 17:48
Any tips on making my application to SUAS any better?

Just one - don't tell them you want to join the Navy :E

Ghostie31
10th Sep 2005, 18:51
lol, i did think that! :}

P.S. Thanx for the info nick. the jsf would be nice, but im not so sure bout the 8 months at sea!

RAF it is then! fingers crossed!
Thanks again

Bismark
11th Sep 2005, 09:48
Ghostie,

You will not spend 8 months at sea flying fast jets with the RN!

Joint Force Harrier will be 50% manned (ie 2 RN and 2 RAF Sqns) but hosted by the RAF. The SHAR will have left Service before the GR7/9 Sqns stand up in their RN guise. Whilst the RN Sqns will take the lead in embarked flying the RAF Sqns will also go to sea. When JSF and the CVF come along all Sqns will go to sea, indeed if JSF moves right much then all GR7/9 Sqns will be required in CVF.

Ghostie31
11th Sep 2005, 17:16
ok so im confused, are u saying theres more chance with the FAA then bismark???Thanks for your time btw.
Ghostie

nobbynorriss
11th Sep 2005, 22:05
Hi Ghostie,
The Fleet Air Arm is currently very short of fast jet pilots, and more are being sent from Elementary Flying Training to Linton to join the FJ pipeline. Before you leap for joy though, it's worth bearing in mind that of all the pilots who join the RN only a very small percentage end up as zoomies. Firstly you have to get selected from EFT at Barkston Heath, which is merit-based but from past experience tends to be only about one from each course of six or so (the rest go to Shawbury to fly helos). And then, because the only jets we have are single seat, you have to get a single seat recommend from every stage of FJ flying training, which is pretty ninja. With the crabs you have a twin seat option which doesn't require such high scores, but in the RN you get re-streamed to helicopters instead (which is no bad thing, I may add!!). The same thing can happen to the crabs, it's just that their standards are lower ;) . If you are dead set on fast jets the Air Farce may be your best bet, although their pipeline is not without its problems either. About six months ago 50% of the guys who PASSED Basic Fast Jet Training at Linton were being told that there weren't any slots for them at Valley on Advanced FJT and that they were being restreamed multi's. After a two YEAR long hold-over in admin jobs! What a wonderful way to manage your people! While all this may sound like doom and gloom the plus sides make it worth while - if you can avoid the axe. From a people and ethos point of veiw I would say that the Navy is a better place to be (I may be a little biased on this one!), but then again you're more likely to be sent helicopters. It sounds like you're about to go to uni so at this stage you can certainly afford to keep your options open - I know a couple of guys now flying in the Navy who did EFT with a UAS. Incidentally, if like me you were itching to get on with it as soon as it's worth knowing that you don't actually need a degree to fly in the Navy . If you have any more questions about the respective pipelines just ask and I'll be more than happy to pass on any gen (I've spent the last four years in the Navy pipeline - that really is how long it takes! - and I have friends in most stages of both RN and RAF flying training). Finally, Good Luck!!

Hueymeister
12th Sep 2005, 00:05
Contracting RN.....a nasty and thankfully none too contagious affliction...quick get the antibiotics...