PDA

View Full Version : SIA what do you think?

aaaaa
10th Sep 2005, 10:33
Am now thinking of travelling to the Philippines on SIA and then Silkair to Cebu.

Does anyone have any ideas what SIA is like? I will probably be travelling business.

Do you recommend it, or would I be better via HKG? SIA are offering a reasonable deal at the moment with flexible tickets.

aa

Damsel
10th Sep 2005, 22:04
I only ever travel on SQ and always in Raffles, never had a bad flight. Service is always excellent, staff always helpful.

Globaliser
11th Sep 2005, 14:10
SQ business class is always considered to be at or near the top of business class offerings from any airline, worldwide.

Silkair (SQ subsidiary) may be a different matter, but I don't know anything about them. It's a four hour flight from SIN to CEB so this may be a significant factor for you.

If you go via HKG, you should get CX mainline on both sectors, and CX business class is also generally in the same sort of league as SQ. The overall great circle distance via HKG is considerably shorter, but I don't know whether this translates into a shorter journey time.

HandyAndy
14th Sep 2005, 00:43
Guys

I travel HKG - CEB dozens and dozens of times a year (I live in Cebu). On CX, the published flight time is 2H 40m but in reality, it is generally 2h 12m - 2h 20m.
Immigration is slow and long queues develop quickly. Get a seat at the front of the cabin if possible. Of course, you then have to wait for your luggage but at least you're not standing in a line.

Touts for "taxis" abound outside the terminal. Whilst OK, they are much more expensive than a metered taxi. Go up to departures (if you don't have too much luggage) and get a metered taxi there. They are in short supply in arrivals.
Flagfall for a metered taxi is P30.

If you are staying in a beach resort, they have their own shuttles there and there are guiys holding signs with the name of the resort on it.

Enjoy Cebu!

HA

Edited to mention CX has one daily flight a day from HKG.
Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sat depart HKG 0850hrs Depart CEB 1230hrs
Mon/Fri/Sun depart HKG 1615hrs depart CEB 1955hrs
Eqpt varies but typically A343/333, B777, B744 depending on loads.

Silkair operates A320 SIN/CEB but have never used this service.

spiney
15th Sep 2005, 02:32
Based on your airline selection I'm assuming your route is SIN-CEB direct which, if this indeed the case, you've made a wise decision... avoiding both Manila and Philippine Airlines. Manila is great if you really, absolutely have to go there, but Manila Airport is the pits and best avoided if at all possible. My recent experiences with Philippine Airlines... well let's just say I'm trying hard to erase them from my sub-conscious. Singapore Airlines and Silkair... good as you'll get in the region.

huckleberry58
16th Sep 2005, 09:18
SQ has slightly better seats in business class and more extensive entertainment than CX, however not significant enough to negate choosing CX if price and connecting flights are better via HKG.