PDA

View Full Version : Ag-flying. Checklists, what do you use?

Lowlevldevl
10th Sep 2005, 04:07
Hey fellas,
This is probably a dumb question but as a matter of interest, what checklists do you guys use for the various phases of your flight. I think I've got a reasonable set but would be interested to know if there are any better systems out there. For example

Pre-Takeoff
F Fuel sufficient ( important enough to get its own F)
H Hoppper, doors shut and level, Hatches, Hose disconnected
T Trim set
F Flap set
C Computer set (counter for solids)

At the Job
W Wind
W Wires
W Whingers (not PC I know but starts with a W and covers things like susceptible crops, school buses, neighbours etc;)

Pre landing
Standard BUMPF checks.

Anybody EVER do a pre-takeoff performance calc' in an ag-plane?

Cheers,
DB

currawong
10th Sep 2005, 05:03
Fuel

Flaps

Trim

:E

Rarely Dble Amber
11th Sep 2005, 01:19
Post Start; A left to right, down to up cockpit scan. checking that each and every item is in the correct state. This replaces the MPTFISCHE check, is far more comprehensive and works on every aircraft type you will ever fly.

Pre Take off;

Fuel

Fluids (windscreen water, smoke oil, drinking water)

Chemical .. correct type and quantity

Nozzles .. set appropriatley... Hate doin 60 litre per
Hectare work with the CP's set on the smallest hole size :hmm:

Hoses .. disconnected

and Map .. Also hate getting to the job only to realise the map is sitting safely back in the office

I have no neumonic for it, but it is only 6 items ..say it aloud a few times. Easy and damn usefull.

At the Job;
SWOT

Sun Position
Susceptibles.. crops AND people
Wind direction/strength
Wires
Obstacles .. dead trees, windmills and such
Terrain .. rising ground, Great dividing ranges and such. Also a good time to take note of any potential forced landing areas.

(The WISHSTANDE check is a load of crap if you ask me)

Pre Landing: GUMP
Gas .. very American I know, but it works
Undercarriage .. 12 Years and nearly 8000 hours ag and not a single wheels up landing yet. Must be working!! :p
Mixture Rich .. which becomes Condition lever to flight idle in the Turbines. .. but GUCP sounds stupid
Pump on or off as required.

I have a few other mini checks that I do, but thats about it.

And no, I have never done a p chart for an ag plane...come to think of it, I think I only ever did a couple for the cherokee six.:hmm:

currawong
11th Sep 2005, 04:38
Our company SOP's that are wheeled out for inspection for those interested in such things are five full A4 pages long. Included are such things as checking the area ahead is clear prior to taxi.:hmm: (as if you need to be reminded?)

If you want to have an emergency, that is a further three full pages.:hmm: :hmm:

WISHTANDE took a battering at a recent safety meet. Point being made that the aircraft would generally not be even launched if 99% of that check was not already absolutly known. About the only thing of use is the extra check the pilot conducts on arrival.

As for P chart, no, but have found it useful factoring in specific gravity of various compounds. Weighing a bucket of the stuff can be helpfull, specially some of these new foliars getting around.

AT502
13th Sep 2005, 04:22
My personal checklist........

Lunch...... what did the Mrs pack today?

Cigarettes............ have I got enough?

Pen.......... just hate it when i forget my pen!

Oh lighter, can't forget the lighter, otherwise that will really bugger my whole day.

Think thats about it............. oh and all that other stuff I learn't many years ago.

You must be bored up there Lowlevldevl

:{

Over & out,

AT502 :cool:

Paint The Sky Pink!
14th Sep 2005, 00:06
Well at least you eat lunch AT502! Good for you. I always thought the majority lived on cigarettes & coke.

PTSP!

Lowlevldevl
14th Sep 2005, 06:08
AT 502
Lets just say I have plenty of time on my hands here..............
Plus, I'm naturally just a bit anal.
Plus, it sort of ties in with the safety thing I've been mulling over of late.