PDA

View Full Version : Tuna Spotting, tuna boat ops (incl Guam)

tigerpic
16th Jul 2001, 17:21
i recently had a job offer from venezuela flying a h500 for tunaspotting. $10k/trip lasting up to three months

couple of questions:
what's the condition of the machines in general? i'm not talking american companies. is it worth risking your life for it? i'm not desperate for turbine hours.
i was told they used dynamite dropped from the helicopter. now, i'm not interested in breaking international laws (even if it concerns fish) when flying. is this legal? flying through airspace without contacting atc is one thing, not that i do that either. :p

cheers

tiger

Copter Cody
16th Jul 2001, 19:37
Tiger,

How would a person find a job as such?

Cody

telboy
17th Jul 2001, 09:01
I would also be very interested in this job!
Please send contact details!

cheers

tigerpic
17th Jul 2001, 18:58
not exactly the reply i was looking for... sorry guys, i would give that information to my buddies first, i'm afraid. probably what you would do too! :p

B Sousa
17th Jul 2001, 23:20
Rumor has it that Fishing is pretty bad right now and a lot of the ships are in Port.
If your really interested, Go to www.justhelicopters.com (http://www.justhelicopters.com) and put the question on that forum. You will also get some replies........
Good Luck...........

tigerpic
17th Jul 2001, 23:31
bill's forum is not the most serious, it being anonymous, so i'd rather not...

Aeotearoa
18th Jul 2001, 00:19
Tigerpic,
Howzit mate?I know this is also not what you are looking for but I see you are in the Caribean.Do you know of any Helicopter Companies in the Turks and Caicos Islands?Thanks for the help and I also hope you do get some good Gen about the Tuna Boats soon. :)

Pac Rotors
18th Jul 2001, 03:53
Tigerpic

Not sure about that area but I know the area around Asia Pacific is very quiet at the moment. Was talking to some friends who have a number of machines on the taiwanese boats and they have actually been brining them back to NZ because it has been so slow.

A lot of the bigger boats are tied up in port at the moment. Seems to be the general trend in the industry at the moment. By the way Aeotoroa, if you are going to use the maori name for NZ at least spell it right, it is Aoteoroa

Pac Rotors

Aeotearoa
18th Jul 2001, 08:11
Pac Rotors,
Yes it was spelt wrong for that I'm sorry, but I would check your Dictionary before handing out spelling Lessons!!!!! :D

[ 18 July 2001: Message edited by: Aotearoa ]

tigerpic
18th Jul 2001, 08:14
to aeotearoa, or whatever it was supposed to be: i'm not familiar with any companies on those islands. use the internet and search for them, that's what i do.

to pac rotors: yeah, somebody told me earlier in this thread. anyway, i was more interested in finding out how the venezuelan boats are to fly off of and how safe their helicopters are and also about the dynamite throwing issue.

i'm interested in getting experience in a wide variety of helicopter operations. i'm not going to stick around doing only one thing the rest of my life. tunaboats i'd like to try for a three month period, but that's it. everything becomes boring after a while, even flying. i've already done transports off a boat and tomorrow i'm flying some eighty people off a floating oilrigg. :rolleyes:

cheers

tiger

Pac Rotors
18th Jul 2001, 10:22
Tigerpic

Let me know who the operator is and will email my contacts over there and see what they know.

Aotearoa, yes I put an e instead of the a but only noticed it after I uploaded it and since I hate seeing post after post correcting mistakes couldnt be bothered posting it. :rolleyes:

vaqueroaero
19th Jul 2001, 10:24
I know a guy flying for Aviatun, out of Punto Fijo, Venezuela. Seems to getting on OK. The market is still pretty depressed but is picking up. As for the dynamite... quite frankly I doubt it. As PIC if they ask you to do it refuse and you will go home. Simple as that.
Check out verticalflight.fsnet.co.uk

verticalflight
19th Jul 2001, 10:58
tigerpic:

Answers to your questions.

Maintenance: Depends on the company. Aviatún (my personal experience) runs a superb maintenance (being a Robinson dealer with no shortage of spare parts at all). Who will you be flying for?

Dynamite: That’s true… and illegal, but once you are there you will understand why it’s done. So, if you are not prepared to do it, don’t even start. If you say that you won’t do it when you are 5 days away from the shore (when fishing usually starts) you will damn a crew of 24 people for another 5 days while the boat goes back home to kick you off and pick up another pilot. 10 days at sea for nothing… they won’t be happy chappies.

ATC: Doubt you can get in touch with anybody if you are 300nm away from the nearest land at 300’.

I superb experience, not for the rest of your life though!

visit my webpage wwww.verticalflight.fsnet.co.uk

tigerpic
20th Jul 2001, 09:06
thanks, i appreciate the last postings. don't think i'll go for tunaboats then. don't want to let down a whole boat of fishermen. might get nasty! liked your website! very informative. gave me some ideas to use on my own site... :D cheers!

BendixThaiBar
27th Aug 2002, 00:38
Hi I am wondering about Tuna Spotting? Does anyone have any advice/information regarding getting a job flying on on of these boats? What sort of experience are they looking for? How many hours can one expect to fly? Where would I look for a job? How dangerous/difficult is the work? I am currently working on an Australian Commercial helicopter licence.....what additional training should I consider to get into this part of the industry? How many hours do I need realistically to be considered for this type of employment? I'd appreciate all advice, comments or other....thank you

Autorotate
27th Aug 2002, 05:19
Bendix

You will find that the two main types of helos used are MD-500Cs, with a few D models around and R-22s. I was talking to some people today actually about the state of the industry in Western Samoa and that region and they expect it to pick up in about a months time. The Chinese have just bought up a whole lot of boats recently so that might be an avenue to look into as well. There are three main areas I think for tuna helos. The pacific ocean type area, the areas off the coasts of China and Taiwan and then South America.

Most of the companies, from what I undestand, want a pilot mechanic who can fly and fix etc. I think this is pretty much a minimum requirement as all of those that I know are dual rated. When it comes to hours, not sure on that but some others in this forum should be able to enlighten you.

Autorotate

Scrole
16th May 2003, 09:14
I am a looking to break into the helicopter industry. I have a Canadian CPL and an Australian one. I have 140 hours, in a 300 and a 47. Does anyone know anything about tuna spotting and if it is worth pursuing. I mean. Will they take on low hour pilots if I actually get down there and knock on doors? What are my chances? I am thinking about buying another 60 hours....would this be smart or basically are they going to look at a 140 hr pilot in the same way as they would a 200hr pilot. What I mean is do you think that'd make or break a job? Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should go and who I should call? website addresses etc? Basically I'm in a postion now where I'm not really sure what to do and would really appreciate some advice from those in the know. I am more than willing to fly anywhere and live anyplace for the opportunity to fly helicopters. I just want to fly, thank you for your help

BlenderPilot
16th May 2003, 11:36
This is what I know . . . .

Here in Mexico, there are some ports where Tuna boats "park" Ensenada, La Paz, and Mazatlan, there are lots of tuna boats at these places, I know pilots who have been there, and know a few things about them. But first of all let me say, getting an FAA ticket goes further with these people, and having those 200 hours will certainly help, actually I know of 2 guys, one spanish and one american who got hired with a little more than 180 R22 hours, if you get those hours get them in the R22, tuna boats seem to have many of these and will certainly appreciate them. (although I think the 300 is a much better helicopter, I really feel uncomfortable on the R22's, sorry)

My spanish friend got hired in San Diego on the US side, he worked on a Mexican ship with an FAA license, got hired with 190 hours and got about 8hrs. instruction before leaving with the ship, he called all the tuna operators 1000's of times and they always said they needed more time, then one day, got in tight spot and someone called him.

The pay is OK you make on a good trip (2 1/2 months average) about 6,000.00 USD which is ok for a a beginner and considering you don't spend while on the boat?

Tuna boats operate in Mexico, Panama, Venezuela all spanish speaking, spanish will definately help, (almost a must I would say)

I know one guy who spotted in Guam and he only said "it was the worst experience of my life" so beware with this Guam place.

Most ships I have seen in Mexico look pretty decent to me, helicopters are also good, its a dangerous job for a beginner, I have a friend who caught some net TO in a 206 and ended up in the water, helicopter sank, then about 5 years ago, there was this pilot who left on a boat, the entire boat dissapeared and NOTHING was found ever of the ship and its occupants.

I also have a good friend of mine who is 52 years old and every year he eagerly awaits the time for his yearly fishing trip, he says its the best time in his life when he's on the boat, and he always brings back pictures that make me want to go just for the excellent experience.

Don't tell any prospective employers you are there to build time and leave, try to make a commitment with them for say 1 year of trips, they will love that and consider making you a pilot.

I hope I haven't confused you further.

Scrole
16th May 2003, 12:17
Thanks Blender Pilot, I appreciate the info/advice. So I need to get some R22 time. Alright well i will definately look into that. As for speaking Spanish...well I'll learn that too if that's what it takes!!!!

verticalflight
16th May 2003, 21:43
I did it for to years, flying for a Venezuelan company (AVIATUN). Great time, great company, maintenance was superb. However, I’ve heard some very nasty stories about other operators.

I would advice against knocking the door of Venezuelan operators, since regulations don’t allow foreigners to get a commercial licence, hence there are not foreign commercial pilots.

For more info about tuna spotting, visit www.verticalflight.fsnet.co.uk (http://www.verticalflight.fsnet.co.uk)

Have a nice time at sea, and good luck to you!

http://www.verticalflight.fsnet.co.uk/images/R22_on_deck_from_back.jpg http://www.verticalflight.fsnet.co.uk/images/fishing_area.jpg

I've taken some pics from your very interesting website. Hope you don't mind.
Heliport

skeptic
17th May 2003, 07:30
You might look at some of the ecological sites before you go tuna spotting if you posess even the tiniest vestige of a human concience.:sad:

Thomas coupling
17th May 2003, 08:05
Get a life, septic....and a decent profile:yuk:

Steve76
17th May 2003, 08:22
Unfortunately Skeptic is correct,
Canadian scientists reported this week that 90% of the worlds large fish stocks have been depleted to dangerous levels. This includes sharks and tuna. Sad but true.
Same problems where occuring in the Tasman Sea between NZ and OZ to the 'orange roughy' (Mmmmm..... :p) until they tightened up the regs on the fishing there and now there is a burgeoning stockpile for the future.
Have had a great friend fly out of Guam and he had some horror stories as well. Great life experience thou and I would do it for a tour for sure if the opportunity presents itself.
You will never get that kind of landing on boat experience anywhere else!

Scrole
17th May 2003, 11:15
Skeptic,
What you say is true......although!!! If it is a legal fishing operation, stocks are managed and a certain quota is only allowed. It is supposed to be sustainable and scientists say it would be but for the illegal fishing so!!!! I guess you could argue the same about offshore work, logging etc.

verticalflight
17th May 2003, 12:21
The Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission (http://www.iattc.org )looks after the ecological and sustainability side of it.

Certainly in a perfect world we wouldn’t need to fish tuna. We wouldn’t need to exploit oil either. We would live in harmony with nature, everybody in a big circle at a Green Peace Camp. The reality is a bit different, I’m afraid. We need source of energy for our body (food), and for the life stile we are used to (oil and gas). Certainly we need to use those resources in a way that guarantees its continuity (in the case of food), or its good use (in the case of oil and gas). Some expert will look after those resources, and they, with the politicians and economic forces will try to find the best option available.

In the meantime, I will look after my own resources. 23 years for retirement, a max of 1750 kgs of fuel per flight, and hopefully a competent colleague seating next to me.

http://www.verticalflight.fsnet.co.uk/images/author-R22.jpg

Scrole
18th May 2003, 03:23
VerticalFlight,
Nice website, full of info and good pictures. You sound like you had a good time spotting. Im getting mixed opinions/information regarding opportunities. I have been told that low hour pilots getting jobs spotting is a bit of a myth...."need 1000 hours and at least 50 hours in a 44" but then I also see that most of the helicopters used out in Guam are 300's and 22's??? You say that Venezuela is closed out to a british canadian......do you know much about Panama, or the rest of central america? Do you think I should just fly out to these places and say these are my hours, I'm prepared to pay for more training either with you or whoever you want me to for a job. I'm more than willing to go and knock on doors. coz of course that's how you get a job...but i don't want look like i'm totally out of my league...if you know what I mean. Thanks mate.

verticalflight
18th May 2003, 04:28
As far as I understand, other countries like Argentina and Mexico have the same 'protective for the locals' legislation.

The only place I can think of where you could fly with a FAA licence is Panama. I used to spend a few days in Panama City just before each tuna fishing trip, and I remember companies called 'Helicópteros Atlántico' and 'Aerotech International of Panama' . A few years back -when I was writing my web page- I tried unsuccessfully to find their web sites. You may be luckier this time, or you can try to find their phone number on the Panama on-line yellow pages.

I wouldn't fly there and knock the door without previous arrangements. When there are no ships in the docks, you may find nobody in the office. Get things organised over the phone.

Regarding hours, I saw new chaps going at sea with just over 200 hours. No hours on the R44, just on the R22. AVIATUN would give them 15 hours of intensive training/check before that though, and a few fellows would fail it. At the end of the day, once this guy was sent on his own, he would have nobody to consult, nobody who would positively criticise him, until he came back three months later with an extra 250 hours in his logbook.

Language is not a problem. You will find that on ‘seiners’ fishermen speak Spanish, English and Portuguese depending on the occasion. During the catch, most of the orders are given in English. The boat skipper and the navigators (the ones that jump on the chopper for that manoeuvre) are fluent in English, irrespectively on whether they are Latin-American or American.

Like any other job, luck plays a big part. You may spend years waiting for ‘the phone call’, you may spend just a few weeks. To increase your chances, as usual, you must keep your profile highly noticeable with phone calls, faxes, e-mails, etc. Don’t rely on that cold piece of paper called CV (or resume, depending on where you are!).

Good luck!

Scrole
18th May 2003, 06:22
Thanks Vertical Flight, I am working on getting phone numbers and email addresses, it is hard though as you said there is not a lot on the internet about them. Whoever said it was gonna be easy though!!! Gullibell I have followed that up too, thanks mate. I appreciate it. These people are going to have to hire me or are going to be so sick of my voice!!!!

BlenderPilot
18th May 2003, 08:06
scrole,

So this got me talking to a couple of friends of mine who've gone the Tuna way, and they tell me they have seen several foreign pilots working on the boats, but most of these were hired in the U.S. by Mexican Companies based in San Diego and then they just fly an N registered helicopter with an FAA license, but unfortunately they take advantage of the low time pilots and pay much less than the normal companies.

I looked a little into the subject and found out the following

The countries who with the highest capacity are: (most ships)

1.- Mexico with about 52,000 cubic meters, about 65 large ships
2.- Ecuador with about 48,000 cubic meters, about ? ships
3.- Venezuela with about 30,000 cubic meters, about 24 large ships

The rest of the countries in Central/SouthAmerica have really small fleets and capacity (less than 8,000 cubic meters) they tell me Panama is just a stopover for many tuna boats but few pilots come from there, most arrive with their pilot already.

They tell me the large mexican tuna companies operate the Bell 206, or the MD500, but most others have R22's or B47's the smaller companies are not so strict about the requirement for "high" time pilots. Spanish in Mexican Boats is almost a must, not many people speak english.

These guys rent helicopeters for tuna spotting although they are rather small, only ones I know that have a webpage.

http://www.helicopterosafelio.com

this is one of the largest tuna fishing companies in the world, (bad pic included) in their webpage they have a cool animation on how they fish the tuna.

http://www.pescaazteca.com

Also on the Robinson webpage you can look up the R22 dealers/shops here in Mexico and other countries and contact them, R22's in Mexico are used exclusively for spotting I have never seen an R22 used for anything else over here, (due to elevation all helis are turbine) so these companies know and this is where the spanish might help.

Found this, it sounds like a nice helicopter to fly during tuna spotting. . . . .

PRESS RELEASE
For immediate release

Another Tuna Boat Company Buys Two R44 Helicopters

Torrance, CA ó PESCA AZTECA, based in the Port of Mazatlan, Mexico, has purchased two
R44 Clipper helicopters for fish spotting. The company has the largest, most modern fishing
fleet in the Southeastern Pacific Ocean comprised of ten superseiners with holding capacities of
9,500 cubic meters. Each boat is equipped with state-of-the-art maritime electronics and
satellite systems, plus a helicopter to help locate its catch of yellow fin tuna. PESCA AZTECA's
annual catch is approximately 50,000 tons of yellow fin tuna. It exports fresh frozen tuna and is
the largest tuna supplier of its affiliate company, PINSA.
The two Robinson R44 Clipper helicopters are painted bright orange for high visibility
and have tie down rings on the nose, belly and frame for securing the helicopter to the vessel's
helipad when the aircraft are not flying. Both helicopters have the latest marine and aviation
radios for communication and navigation, including a Ross DSC 500 Marine Radio with Garmin
MAP 225 GPS Plotter, plus two FM radios and a scrambler to prevent interception of
transmissions when the helicopter communicates the tuna's location to the vessel. Other
options selected specifically for the helicopter's fish spotting role include rotor blade supports,
wind deflectors for doors-off flights, and an emergency life raft with survival equipment

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/pescaazteca.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/helicopterpictures/PhotoAlbum15.html

Scrole
18th May 2003, 09:16
Blender Pilot,
Thank you very much for that. I've had a real struggle to get names etc. I really appreciate it. I'm onto both these companies and will be on the phone asap. I understand they may pay less for a low hour pilot, and I guess I look at it a bit like many other careers, you have to pay your dues. But for me at this point, just getting to fly is payment enough. I absolutely love it. It has been something I've dreamed about ever since I was young and only know have saved enough money to do it. So thanks again mate and I will keep you posted on my progress

BlenderPilot
18th May 2003, 12:24
Scrole,

Remember having the FAA ticket is a plus, try contacting the San Diego (USA) companies first it would be easier I think.

Also very important . . . . don't tell other pilots around here what you said about "getting to fly is payment enough", around here that is seen badly by other pilots because for some it has been a long struggle to get to make decent wages and then comes a young pilot who will fly for free "because its fun and he loves it", that's a no no if you want support.

I once said the same thing to a B212 pilot when I was getting my first SIC job on 212's, I said "I don't care how much I make, I just want to fly" and he chewed me out and explained that although for me it was not important how much I made, to other pilots it was their sole way of supporting large familes. And now I understand his feelings. This way of thinking of "will fly for food" hurts the industry and its not according to the profession, becoming a pilot is expensive and takes some sacrifice, give it its due value, if not nobody else will.

In most places in Latin America being a helicopter pilot is something cool because, people still see pilots as hard to find, uniquely skilled indivuduals, you are not in the same category as experienced bus drivers like in some countries, being a pilot its still like a myth somewhat, take advantage of that and use it in your favor.

Don't take it wrong its just some advice :)

Buena Suerte!

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/helicopterpictures/PhotoAlbum15.html

Scrole
19th May 2003, 02:59
BlenderPilot,
Thanks for the heads up. I knew when I wrote that, that I probably shouldn't!!! Or at least clarify what I meant. I have worked in the diving/sailing industry for a few years and it is a similar story there. People will come and work for nothing just to be in a beautiful place and it was a real irritation. I did come to terms with it and accepted it as part of the job. Although the investments made there weren't quite the same!!! I think it's one of those things that is thought but shouldn't be said. I'm sorry to those I have irritated. But I also suppose that those guys that have really put the time in can't be undercut by some 100hr pilot who really just has a licence to learn and finds it challenge enough doing a circuit!!!! (well you know what I mean!) But I totally know what you're saying. Thanks for not chewing my head off as I've seen people do on some of these forums. Well if/when I make it out to the Tuna spotting..I'll try to be as mythical as I can!! Thanks mate you've helped out a lot

HOSS 1
3rd Jun 2003, 01:36
In the pictures I see of the boats, the landing pad is clearly visable. But, there doesn't seem to be any small hangar facility. Does the heli sit outside (with covers, presumably) for the entire voyage? Maintaince is done outside too?

Thanks.

HO5S

3top
12th Jun 2003, 07:18
Hi Scrole and the rest of the gang!

There are a couple of misconcepts on this track, most of the information is out dated, I will try to clear it up:

a) There are nearly no more Bell 47 or Hughes 500 on tunaboats.
The few that are have longtime pilots and you will not get any 500 job with a total of 140 (or 200 hrs for this matter)

b) Don´t waste all your money on R-22 time. ANYTHING flying on tunaboats today is in the process to get replaced by the Robinson R-44, so that is what you need time in.

c) Just being a pain in the neck on the phone will not do it. You have to be there when they need you. They will not wait for you to arrive in 3-4 days. If they have to wait that long, they will wait for someone with experience and more hours. RIGHT TIME - RIGHT SPOT!!

d) Good chance, go to an operator (tuna helicopter) who also has a flightschool and make a deal - you spend the time in the machine and they give you a chance on a boat! Go and check www.helipan.com in Panama.

e) Although there is only one boat under Panamanian flag, there are at least 20 helicopters under Panama registration, however nowadays you need a Panamanian license to fly a Panama reg heli. However as you need to fly some time in a R-44 you have plenty of time to get a Tuna check out ( I do them myself here...) and make the Panamanian Commercial as well!

f) Samoa and Guam sucks as these are extremly long trips. As far as I know Hughes 500 fly Pilot-Mechanics only. But I may be wrong...

g) Even if nearly everyone speaks English, most sets (when they catch the fish..) are done in Spanish/Portuguese, so first thing tomorrow morning, go and buy a Spanish course and get at it!!
There are more and more SPanish vessels coming to fish here and they bring there own skippers - Spaniards - no english!!

h) Forget Venezuela or venezuelan registered Helicopters - political mess - no licence - no pay...

i) dito Ecuador - Mexico - Columbia

j) Most Ecuadorian boats run a different flag and register their Helicopters in Panama - you still need a Panamanian license but this is nearly no hassle in Panama, even for foreigners. Don´t get it wrong: You can get the license, but you can not work IN Panama without a valid Work permit. For Tuna spotting you do not need a work permit.

k) Panama IS the best place to get in Contact with the industry.

l) I came home from my last trip at the end of february from a 1 month trip after 3 years off the boats.

Check everyone, however your best bet is Helipan Corp. in Panama, if you are willing to spend some time in a R-44 (I would say plan on 20-25 hours) and if you want a R-22 check out, as this is a good prep for reaction!!

3top

:cool: :cool: :cool:

staale
16th Mar 2004, 18:46
Hi,
anyone out there know anything about tuna companies, especially in SE Asia? Cant seem to find any adresses etc on the net. What are my chances with 1500hrs, mostly piston? And what is the best time of year, or is it year round fishing? Any good advice? Thanks!!!

Grogan
17th Mar 2004, 22:41
Staale

As far as SE Asia is concerned the helicopters operate out of Guam. There are 3 companies in Guam -
Hansen Helicopters, Tropic helicopters and Haufman helicopters.

Hansens are the biggest and the most reliable. In that I mean for work as well as maintenance. They hire pilot, pilot/mechanics or mechanics. Contracts are for 1 year so you are away from home for a long time.

Tropic helicopters are similar to Hansens but you can do a shorter time period. I would not recommend them however in fact I would advise against them.

Haufman - Steve Haufman runs only a few machines and is a good operator. He only hires Pilot/mechanics that are FAA licenced, but pays much better than the others.

All operate MD500C. There are no other type of helicopter based out of Guam on Tuna boats. You will be on a Taiwanese or Korean Tuna boat. They can be a handful to deal with. Mechanics are mostly Fillipino and these days so are a lot of the pilots especially with Hansens. Be prepared for long periods of boredom and short periods of Port calls. You will fly around 600 - 1000 hrs/year depending on the company (boat contract). Money is around $3500US/month in first year for pilots or mechanics and $6000+ for pilot/mechanics.

With 1500 hrs you won't have any problems and it doesn't matter what time of the year it just a matter of waiting for another pilot to want to come off.

Hope this is of some help.

Grogan

staale
18th Mar 2004, 19:13
Hi Grogan,
thanks alot, you have answered alot of my questions.
But do I need a US visa(I believe Guam is part of the US)? Obviously I dont have one, or I would have 5000 turbine hours by now.....

Grogan
18th Mar 2004, 22:29
Staale

You are right in saying that Guam is part of the US. You will need a "C1D visa" (crewmans visa) to enter if you are getting onto a boat but this will be arranged when you have a boat to get onto ie a job. To go there otherwise you may or may not need a visa depending if your belong to a country that is part of the 'Visa waiver programme'. The company that you are going to work for will send you a letter that states that you need this visa for tuna boat work through Guam and will name the boat you will be getting onto. You then take that letter to your nearest US consulate and apply for a "C1D visa". You will need this letter when you enter Guam as well. All this will be explained to you by the company you have a job with.

Good luck :ok:

If you have any other questions PM me if you want.

Grogan

otter712
4th Apr 2004, 00:24
HERE IS SOME INFORMATION I GATHERED OVER THE LAST 2 YEARS, HOPE IT HELPS.

RON

I'm looking for a Pilot to work with me on tuna boat.
Necesary flight experience on MD 500-C
Any interested please contact me at [email protected]

Hoffman Helicopters, Inc.

167A ET Calvo Memorial Pkwy, Tamuning, Guam 96913

Ph: 671-649-1339/0200/0201 Fax: 671-649-1350 & 1-775-205-9160

Minimum Contract Pilot / Mechanic Requirements:

Pilot Requirements:

FAA Commercial Helo Pilot License w/ 500 Hours Rotor Wing Time

250 Hours in Hughes 500's

100 Hrs Fish Spotting on Tuna Boats

Current Medical & BFR good for 8 months minimum

Mechanic Requirements:

Mechanics need to have an FAA A&P License w/ a minimum of 2 years experience on Hughes 500C's with 1 Year on Tuna Boats

Prefer a minimum of 1 year as P/M on Tuna boats w/ a recommendation by another operator. Pay is up to $8,000 USD/ Mo depending on experience.

R/T Economy Airfare is paid but return is deducted if unable to complete 6 Months service for any reason.

We are not presently looking for pilots or mechanics but you're welcome to E your resume to [email protected]

Other Guam Operators that might hire w/ less experience are:

Hansen Helicopters Ph: 671-649-9580 Ask for John Walker

Tropic Helicopters Ph: 671-646-3127 Ask for Ron Barr

CARIBBEAN MARINE SERVICE (Bell 206B3)
Ph: (619) 463 5837
Fx: (858) 759 1299
Mr Arnold Freitas

ZOLEZZI ENTERPRISE Inc (H500c)
Ph: (619) 223 5576
Fx: (619) 223 6761
Mr John Zolezzi

TUNA VESSEL MANAGEMENT (H500,B47)
Ph: (619) 236 1191
Fx: (619) 236 9516
Mr Ichi Sileu

G.S FISHERIES (H500,B47)
Ph: (619) 239 1147
Fx: (619) 239 6229

HENSEN HELICOPTERS (GUAM) (H500)
Ph: +671 649 9580
Fx: +671 649 9582
Mr John Walker

PANAMA

AEROSERVICIOS de DAVID, (B47)
Ph: +507 775 8899
Fx: +507 775 8839
Mrs Ruth Saucedo(speak english)

HELICOPTEROS DEL PACIFICO (Bell 206)
Ph: +507 223 0610
Fx: +507 269 6133
Mr Ray Kincaid

HELIPAN CORP (R44)
Ph: +507 315 0452/0453
Fx: +507 315 0534
Mr Thomas Exenberger

PESQUERA ATLANTICA (H500D)
Ph: +507 232 8639
Fx: +507 315 0130
Mr Gonzalez

CANNAVO SA (H500C)
Ph: +507 315 0595
Fx: +507 315 0597

MEXICO

BAJA HELICOPTERS (B47,R22M)
Ph: +52 646 177 4131
Mr Yvan Ptanick

PESQUERA AKALAN (B47)
Ph: +52 646 176 0533
Fx: +52 646 176 1010
Mr Guillermo Ramirez

GRUPO NAIR (H500C,R44)
Ph: +52 646 178 1070
Fx: +52 646 178 3003
Mr Roberto Mayo

GIPC(grupo industrial de productos congelados)(B47)
Ph: +52 646 178 8994
Fx: +52 646 178 2037

DEL RIO HELICOPTERS (OH58,B47)
Ph: +52 646 178 1989
Mr Isaac Sarabia

MARATUN (R44)
Ph: +52 314 336 5265
Fx: +52 314 336 6767

ATUNERA PUNTA BAJA (B206)
Ph: +52 646 175 9198/9105
Fx: +52 646 175 3968

ATUNEROS UNIDOS DE CALIFORNIA (B206)
Ph: +52 646 178 8978/8195

ECUADOR

INEPACA (R44)
Ph; +59 356 20302/304
Mr Francisco Garcia

LA REALE (R22M,R44)
Ph/Fx: +59 347 64258/257/256
Mr Aurelio Arrue

COLOMBIA

ATUNES DE COLOMBIA (R44)
Ph: +57 566 85290/292
Fx: +57 566 85648

Regarding Your forum on 2001-10-13 at 18:03:56,
We take the pleasure to inform you that we had
transferred your request to Taiwan Deep Sea Tuna
Boatowners and Exporters Association < telephone no.
886-7-8419606 >,and they will reply you directly.

rotorboy
4th Apr 2004, 20:08
Ok most of the information posted above is not good.

Hoffman helicopters is out of business and currently selling all their parts and helicopters. Owner is terminally ill.

You can take your chances with Hansen , I would say Tropic is lesser of two evils. You will be on an asian boat, no one speaks english and lots of fish head soup for dinner. You will lose weight! They tranship and you will spend your whole contarct proably with out going home, short turn arounds. American boats have long turnarounds beacuse they are under contract witht he cannerys in Samoa.

All the american companies listed above nolonger have helicopters on there boats. Only four of the US flagged tuna boats have helicopters these days and they are owned by the boat , with one exception. (at one point over 30+ boats ((us flagged had helicopters)

Something has changed recently in Mexico and foriegn pilots can no longer easily go out on there boast. Many euro guys who where working on there boats are now looking for jobs.

Most of the baost in the eastern atlantic, have r22/r44. some 500's

All the Asian boats and the few us boast left have 500C's

You will proably fly 500-650 hrs a years these days. flew 130 hours on last trip of 63 days. Ill post some pic in the next couple of days.

Boat will gladly get you a C1D for guam or Samoa if they are desperate!

If some one has a bunch of time, 500c time and preferably fishing time, i know of an immeadite vacancy. Boat can not take low time guy, becasue of insurance. Must be able to move fast.

ok

later

RB

sammy76
10th Jun 2004, 02:11
Does anybody know about the tuna spotting situation in guam/samoa? Where and how the operate and what aircraft they use? Is there special training required? Thanks.

SilsoeSid
10th Jun 2004, 05:41
A search on google may be helpful.
However, by the look of things it's possibly going remote. :ugh:

http://www.sacusa.com/im/pictures/unmanned/Argus4.jpg

The Argus 300 unmanned helicopter can also replace manned helicopters on long and tedious missions such as communications relay or routine surveillance. When equipped with a TV, FLIR and sea search radar, the Argus 300 can be a "force multiplier" extending the effective range of a patrol vessel by thousands of square miles. Other missions under investigation for the Argus 300 include: (1) emergency rescue or sling loads into hazardous locations; (2) photo platform (movie special effects; ENG); (3) maritime operations (fish spotting; coastal patrol)

rotorboy
10th Jun 2004, 13:56
Try search on here. Several threads will answer your questions. Heres the short of it.

Almost no boats out of Samoa have helicopters any more (4 out of 35), lots of Korean , and asian boats in the western pac have 500c's leased from one of two companys in Guam. Tropic or Hansen, low pay, contract required. 3-4 k a mopnth, eat lots of rice and fish head soup , mayby your mech will speak english.

Boats in South Am fishing eastern pac , r22's r44's out of central america.

it is all about right place right time.

Got to run , damm drillers are yelling on the radio to be moved off the hill for breakfast :ok:

RB

MPT
11th Jun 2004, 04:47
G'day Sammy76,

Rotorboy's right, search on here and you'll get a good deal of info. If you like, PM me with specifics and I'll see if I can answer.

Cheers,

MPT

nzl75
14th Jun 2004, 23:21
Where are they, meaning what countries do i have to go to.

How do I get onboard.

What-ho Squiffy!
14th Jun 2004, 23:59
The one I had a look at a few years ago was a stinking, rusting overcrowded hell-hole with a crapped out 500 sitting on the deck. I think it was Asian-owned, and it was parked in Rabaul Harbour with a few others on a rare stop over.

The pilot and an engineer spend months at a time on the boat for a few thousand dollars (US) per trip. They get a few weeks off then head out again.

The American pilot seemed to like it. Seemed more like a bad dream to me! I suppose it all depends how desperate you are. Good luck if you give it a go!:}

MPT
15th Jun 2004, 01:35
nzl75, check over the page, lots of stuff there

Cheers,

MPT

B Sousa
15th Jun 2004, 03:00
I have met a few of the guys who have flown Tuna Boats. I always check to see if I can see daylight when I look in their ears. Then I check to see if they have a Wheel Barrow to carry around their Balls.
Glad I didnt have to do it...........

nzl75
15th Jun 2004, 04:59
MPT, check where mate??

ok, don\'t worry i found the info

helichick
9th Feb 2005, 15:59
Hey Everybody,

I am working on completing my CFI training and need to do a 5min talk on helicopters in the tuna boat industry. I was wondering if anyone might know of a good website or if someone has experience flying off of a tuna boat. Thanks, HeliChick.

Heliport
9th Feb 2005, 17:11
Welcome to the forum helichick.

All you need to know about ..... Tuna Spotting (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122960)

Felipe
4th Apr 2005, 00:36
Hi there. I have worked on tuna boat for 12 years on the south Pacific and short period in Africa.
I would be happy to answered or clear any doubt you have contact me by e-mail [email protected], or SKYPE under user name fgsalini:ok:

Flingwing207
4th Apr 2005, 00:50
Hey Helichick, still playing Ultimate down Cocoa Beach way?

rotorboy
4th Apr 2005, 01:19
Industry prety much dead. Fishing has changed, labour, where the fish are, market etc. Not profitable for many boats to have a/c anymore. Some good comments at the end of the thread from last summer.

PM with specific questions (old photo's). Iam better looking now!

RBhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/jfkak/barry_500-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/jfkak/evelina_da_rosa.jpg
:)

Steve76
4th Apr 2005, 05:36
I didn't think it possible to improve on perfection RB...
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

cl12pv2s
4th Apr 2005, 20:28
Rotorboy before his career as a tuna boat pilot...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/jfkak/barry_500-1.jpg

Rotorboy after his career as a tuna boat pilot...!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/jfkak/evelina_da_rosa.jpg

i2gofly
6th Apr 2005, 20:05
Check out : http://www.verticalflight.fsnet.co.uk/tuna_fish_spotting.htm

It has some good info on tuna fish spotting.

Gordy
7th Apr 2005, 08:57
Ahhhh the dreaded talk---you must be attending HAI CFI groundschool!!!!

Ian Porter
9th Sep 2005, 23:30
Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like as a spotter pilot on Korean Tuna boats in the west pacific(Guam, Palau)?

BlenderPilot
9th Sep 2005, 23:49
I have a friend who worked in Guam, and he said "it was the worst experience of his life".

But I have never been there so I don't know how bad it really was.

MPT
10th Sep 2005, 01:19
G'day IP,

PM me with specifics and I may be able to help.

Cheers,

MPT

Heliport
10th Sep 2005, 07:57
Or post specific questions and answers here so that they become part of our info database for future reference.

Heliport

rotorboy
11th Sep 2005, 02:17
Korean boats, are tough. Proably one other person who speaks englinsh, lots of fish head soup. You will lose some serious weight. Make the componay you are working for give you a couple hundred to buy some food and get a rubbermaid bin with a lock (rough tote) to put in the freeze (steaks chicken, peanut butter)

A search will do you some good here, myself and several others have answered these questions multiple times.

Curious which company. One out of Guam is way better than the other . You may live through it if you choose wisely!

post specific questions and I will be happy to answer them if I can. It has been awhile since I was on the floating jail:ok:

RB

Ian Porter
11th Sep 2005, 03:43
It doesn't sound easy. A few specific questions I have -
1. Do you stay on the ship for the entire season or get a break onshore occasionally?
2. Do you get a dogbox to yourself or do you have to share?
3. Which month does the season start?
4. How many hours would a pilot get in a season?
5. What do you do when your not flying?
Obviously these questions could be answered by the company if it ever got to job offer time but I'd like to get some feedback from the pointy end before I pursue it any further. I realise that without company names etc these questions may be impossible to answer so I'll do a bit more research. Thanks for the info & advice.

MK10
11th Sep 2005, 06:42
couple of guys i know worked out of Guam, one kiwi one scot,
for both of them it was their first full time flying job.so both were
very thankful to get the break.when not flying, they checked &
double checked the machine. only the captain could spk a little
English, lot of the crews were from Phillipines.
once the ship had a decent catch they would head in to port,couple of days R&R and back out again. Both were happy
with amount of flying they got,hughes 500, both have now moved onto other jobs. N.B scots guy ditched twice, electrical fire first time(all that salt spray) TR failure the 2nd.
MK10

Ian Porter
11th Sep 2005, 08:56
Keep the info coming as I really appreciate the input. I'm not after a "first job" as I have approx. 2500 hrs piston time doing mustering, charter, firelighting, shooting etc. I'm currently doing the FW instrument rating so I can break into the offshore turbine work, & the more info I have re the tuna boat option the more I think it might be a good move. I'm currently working in Indonesia in the mines to pay for the IR so living with an asian culture is not a problem. I'm on a good deal now but nothing can pay enough to keep me away from flying. Look forward to more comments. Thanks.

whopwhop
11th Sep 2005, 20:55
From what I believe as I've tried to get on the boats for some time is 1000hrs pic and 100hrs on type (H369) that part wasnt the problem for me but was that they are now tending to look for more pilot/engineers as opposed to just a pilot.

George Semel
11th Sep 2005, 21:57
You stay on the boat till they fill it, then you come in. These days you could be out 6 months. They will tell you that you should have at least 8 months on a medical left alonq with a BFR or currency check before you set sail. You will share a cabin with the Mechanic, unless you are also the Mechanic, lot of boats like the Pilot to be an A+P as well. There is no season, as far as I know, keep calling and bugging them. As for flight time, could be a lot or very little, depends on how good or bad the fishing is and if the Capt of the Boat likes to fly or not. 300 hours on a 6 month cruise is about right. May be a little more than that. Well you get to watch a lot of Korean Game shows on Video Tap. It get old after awhile, take plenty of books you read a lot. I was given 500 bucks to stock up on the things I wanted, so me and the Mech, made sure we had plenty of beer and Milk and stuff like that. The one thing that you should do, before going out, is take care of any dental problems before hand, go to a doctor for a compleat physical, not the can you hear thunder and see lighting kind for a flight physical. You will loose weight. I lost 37 lbs in the first three weeks! Korean food is well different, after a while it will grow on you. Take a good Multiple Vitamin with you.When I was out, I flew Bell 47's and well there was some questionable maintance issues with that one. There use to be several companies out of Guam that put helicopters on Tuna Boats, I think there is only one or two left. You will be out of contact, so have every thing in order before hand, also take enough money with you, not that you will spend any on the boat, working for the Koreans is well a one way deal, you want to have enough on you to buy a ticket home if the Capt. decides to dump you on Truck Atoll or New Britian Island. One more thing, don't take anything they say for the truth. And if they offer you tonnage or flat monthy, take the monthly. You could get stiffed big time on tonnage, since the fishing has been in real decline since 1980. The days of going out and filling the boat in 14 or so days and making a bunch of cash on tonnage is long gone. Be careful its not an easy job.

MCA
12th Sep 2005, 00:55
Hey MK10

Scotty (a.k.a "jimmy") do you have his e-mail? I used to work with him on the Glaciers... if you could PM it to me

Cheers
:ok:

MK10
12th Sep 2005, 21:01
MCA check your pm,s
mk10

rotorboy
13th Sep 2005, 17:33
1. Do you stay on the ship for the entire season or get a break onshore occasionally?
There really is not season. they fish year round. You will get off the boat while they unload, if they unload at a port. Unloading can take from a week to a month depending on how many boats are in line, what needs to be fixed on the boat and how much stuff they need to tak onboard ( fuel, food). Many of the Korean and Taiwanese boats trans-shipp, which means they unload on another boat at sea on ina harbor so you may not get off the boat.
Fishing is lsow these days from what I hear so expect 3+month trips

As George said monthly only, tonnage would be bad these days. I hear the monlty is 4500 or so these days with a month's bonus if you complete your 6 or 12 month contract and dont bend anything.

Again, negoiate for some food money for yourself if you are on an Asian boat.
2. Do you get a dogbox to yourself or do you have to share?
Yourself or sharing with a mechanic. way better than the 6-man room
3. Which month does the season start?
Which ever month they lose the current pilot and need a new one
4. How many hours would a pilot get in a season?
these days figure 400-600 hours year
5. What do you do when your not flying?
sleep, read, play x-box, watch korean porno, run laps around the pilot house for hours, teach your self how to navigate, find new ways to occupy your mind. Help your mechanic get your a/p.

Boats do perfer pilot/mech, but desperation is usualy how it is and they will take whoever they need when the time comes.

Some guys like it , some dont, you will get to go into and see places mosdt of you friends have never heard of. For me it was a way to get 500 time and has made my careerr in many ways. It got me my next job beaqcuse of the 500 time. I dont regret it at all, but was ready to leave the boat when I did. Everyonce and a while I think about doing a trip (usually I am drunk or the missus has just kicked me to the curb).

If you have the oppertunity go for it. you can alwys walk off the boat when it gets into port!

RB

Oogle
14th Sep 2005, 09:49
I feel ill just reading this.

Can you get fish flavoured corn flakes? :yuk:

TheMonk
14th Sep 2005, 12:10
Thank you all for the posts. I too am interested. Would somone post the contacts for various company's that employ tuna boat pilots. The more the better.

Thanks,
Tha Monk

Ian Porter
17th Sep 2005, 23:32
Thanks for all the feedback. If I get into trouble now it'll be my own fault!

chopski
19th Sep 2005, 03:31
Hi all,

Anyone know if any of the tuna boat ops still work out of San Diego or the west coast of California or anywhere in South America?

Thanks guys.

rotorboy
19th Sep 2005, 15:22
PPRUNE as a great function on the top of the page it is called SEARCH. Wonderfull tool.

Its not that I dont want to answer but to answer the same question time and time again ....

A couple of old threads will answer all your qestions, if you still have any post them and Ill bet they will get answered!

Could someone merge some of these old ones... Or should we create a Fish Boat FAQ?

rb

flyagain
14th Jan 2006, 05:22
Hello all

First post here, watching for a while and think it's a great resource.

Anyway, anyone flown the tuna spotting helos in Guam? It would be good to know the pitfalls, what to watch out for etc.

I've heard they pay very good money, and was wondering the reason.

Helibelly
14th Jan 2006, 07:16
look for little tins floating at the surface

flyagain
14th Jan 2006, 07:22
And no dolphins?

fishboy
14th Jan 2006, 10:44
Hey Flyagain, I've sent you a long letter that I wrote to all my buddies when I was on a tuna boat, out of Guam. You will here all kinds of stories form people who have done that job! I was with Hansen Heli for about 9 months. Nothing wrong with the company and the aircraft should be ok. Just make sure you have some familiarity with the aircraft type BEFORE you go. And I mean PROPER traing, not just a quick look at one at the local airfield. If you don't like being on your own, don't go, if you can't manage without all your usual amenities, don't go.... in fact if you have any worries about not being able to do it, or think, "I'll give it a go" don't go!
That said It was a great experience and I'm glad I did it. Talk to as many people as you can, there are loads of Aussies/Kiwis who've done that job.

fishboy
14th Jan 2006, 10:49
Hey Flyagain, I've sent you a long letter that I wrote to all my buddies when I was on a tuna boat, out of Guam. You will here all kinds of stories form people who have done that job! I was with Hansen Heli for about 9 months. Nothing wrong with the company and the aircraft should be ok. Just make sure you have some familiarity with the aircraft type BEFORE you go. And I mean PROPER traing, not just a quick look at one at the local airfield. If you don't like being on your own, don't go, if you can't manage without all your usual amenities, don't go.... in fact if you have any worries about not being able to do it, or think, "I'll give it a go" don't go!
That said It was a great experience and I'm glad I did it. Talk to as many people as you can, there are loads of Aussies/Kiwis who've done that job.

Bell47Boy
14th Jan 2006, 11:20
I went to Guam in the hope of going around the companies there to hand out my CV/ resume and see if I could get an interview at the same time. Working on the principle that being able to put a face to a CV is always better.

Anyway, I got pulled at immigration for a full 3rd degree interview and also got all my baggage searched top to bottom as well. Nothing left unturned. I told them that I planned to go around these companies and told them exactly what I was trying for and that I would be there for 12 days before returning to Bangkok. I also had a valid return ticket.

Anyway, in their wisdom they decided that I was there to work illegally and deported me on the same plane that I had arrived by 3 hours earlier. I was told that by the officials that this would not affect me if I wanted to go back to the contiguous mainland US if I wanted to do any further training ( I have an FAA CPC(H) + IR ) as I departed. I was unhappy as I headed back to Bangkok but there was nothing I could do about it.

In Bangkok I applied for a visa to go to the US to do some more training and was refused because of this incident in Guam which now means that I am effectively banned from the US. All this for being up front and honest with them. And it has cost me a small fortune.

I am a Brit by birth and a Brit passport holder and a Brit resident and I thought that we were all on the same side! So much for the "special relationship"!

If you go to Guam on spec. do not utter one word with regard to work or you just might end up in the same situation as myself. Take care and good luck.:ok:

fishboy
14th Jan 2006, 12:29
I agree, be VERY careful with immigration, I had a visa to go there and was still held in immigration for 5 hours! I was really close to being deported too.

MPT
14th Jan 2006, 12:48
G'day flyagain,
If you have any further questions after reading fishboy's stuff, feel free to PM me with specifics, I may be able to help with info on the other company(s). If they want you over there, they will organise a letter to assist with the visa application. The advice from Bell47Boy is very valid. DO NOT mention working around Guam or any of the island republics out there or you may find yourself turned around (or having to buy a visa at the going rate).
Cheers,
MPT

dude12345
14th Jan 2006, 22:31
How many hour did you have to get the job?

bladebanger
14th Jan 2006, 23:04
Had a few guys join us over the years from Tuna spotting. Most of them were great pilots and loved the money they made on the boats.

I rembember most of them saying around the $7000 USD per month tax free.
Was told that this money is no longer the going rate as KIWI's are now doing it for around $4500 USD a month.
Looks like the channel jumbers screwed another good thing for the Helicopter indstury. Same thing in PNG where Pacific payed well now pay peanuts.

Banger

flyagain
15th Jan 2006, 02:15
Thanks for your replies. fishboy, check your PM's.

I migh take you up on that later MPT, thanks.

Bummer about the under-cutters hey... The world as we (helicopter pilots) know it).

fishboy
15th Jan 2006, 09:56
Yeah around 1000 hours is enough, don't worry about turbine time, but definitely get some time in the type you are to fly before going. My experience was to get shown my helicopter(which was parked on the helideck of the boat) from about half a mile away. the first time I flew it was was from a moving heli deck!
As far as I'm aware, they are still using C18 engines and OH6 airframes (too many people crash em to use new cool equipment). The C18 is ok for that job, you never really have more than one person aboard. The pay on your first tour won't be much more than about $4000 US/mo.
As for what you are expected to do if the heli breaks...
I had three MR chip lights in two weeks, the third one accompanied by a MR Temp light. It stayed on the deck for two weeks till we could get a replacement. The bottom line is, YOU are in command of the aircraft. The guy in the captains chair doesn't give a F^(£ about you or your helicopter, if he wants you to fly he will expect you to fly, if you don't want to, for whatever reason, then you have to be strong enough to tell him where to go.
My captain never expected me to do anything that I wasn't comfortable with so no probs. The captains are supposed to know the rules and a lot have been doing the job for a long time so they should be aware of what you can do. That said, I know that some of them will try to get you to do ridiculous stuff, it's up to you.

rotorboy
15th Jan 2006, 14:34
7k a month, wow that must have been in the 80's

First off, you should do a search on fishspotting on this fourm. You will find a bunch of really good inforamtion.
2) be weary of the advice Fish boy has given you. Just from his posts, I doubt he spent much time on the boats in the Western Pacific.

Be very very careful of the mentioned operator in Guam. Talk to anyone who has spent some time on the boats and you will learn why. There is another operator in Guam who I would talk to if you are really interested.

Most of the tuna fleet in the western pacific are using the 500c (not OH6a) and c-20's. Hansen may have one or two OH6's.

Any boat out of Guam will be an Asian boat, Korean of Taiwanese. Expect to loose 20+ pounds. Food will be rough, make your employer give you some cash , buy a rubbermaid roughtote with a padlock and get some peanutbuttter, steaks and frozen chicken. It will keep you sane. MOney will be flat rate of 3500-4000 a month, with a year contract. If you dont last a year, dont expect to get your ticket home or your last paycheck. Hansen will give you a months pay if you stay for the entire time.

I wouldnt bother going to Guam,it is an expensive place to be. Call bug the operators, have your passport ready , the proabilit is that the boat will be be somewhere other than Guam when the pilot walk off.

read the perivous thread and then come back with questions.. I suggest you do this before posting in the future.

Good luck. I proably would never do a trip again, but looking back on it it was an amazing life experience. I got to places most people have never heard of or can spell. I would not be in the position I am in today if I had nver gone out on the boats.

RB

flyagain
15th Jan 2006, 20:48
Thanks for all your help, I did do a search before posting, just not the right words i guess...

I'm now going away with some good info, cheers!

Pekka
2nd Mar 2006, 09:14
Does anybody know about the tuna spotting situation in guam/samoa? Is there special training required? hawe only 200h, 180 on the HU300 and 20 on the 500C.will i need a "C1D visa" to enter Guam? And do i ned a FAA CPL-H? i have a JAA CPL-H.

ajm81
2nd Mar 2006, 12:21
i know nothing about tuna spotting but at least you won't have to compete with the female pilot mechanics as they are all lining up to find sunken treasure in peru

Heliseka
2nd Mar 2006, 12:40
I dont no much about the situation at the moment but,I new a guy who did two years on the boats out of Guam a few years back,they like you to have over 500hrs total at min,money wasn't to bad about U.S $52,000 ,pretty ****ty work though,and you don't want any engine failure....(Or your in trouble)...great way to build turbine time though,seems to be a area where you need to no someone to get your foot in the door though...Good luck in finding work though just keep sending emails and looking for replys..:D

Gerhardt
2nd Mar 2006, 13:11
AJM81, excellent comment!

vaqueroaero
2nd Mar 2006, 16:45
Don't know about Guam, but here's a job ad.

Helicopter pilot needed with past experience in offshore fishing industry.
R44 experience preferred. Excellent pay. 8-10 months per year.
Please email or fax resume attn to Ben Fouts

Mauna Loa Helicopters (808) 334 0234
[email protected]

Big Foot
10th Mar 2006, 03:13
Anyone out there know anything about flying out of Guam on Tuna boats.

The Nr Fairy
10th Mar 2006, 06:06
No, but I did search and found http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=189413

Girv
10th Mar 2006, 22:23
There are two companies in Guam Tropic and Hansen Helicopters. These two companies contract out to Korean and Taiwan ships. You get alot of flying, it's a good way to get turbine hours. With the flying side of things, when looking for fish you go out for 2 hours with an observer about 50-60nm away from the ship. If you come across logs, old drums etc you hover over it as your observer connects a radio bouy to it. When you have found fish, the observer will give the gps position to the ship. Once the ship gets there you use the helicopter to work the open area of the net as the ship sets it. You kind of muster the fish keeping them in place. Tuna is caught while they are feeding and are at the surface so you can work with them. Working the net and landing on the ship is fun. Your out at sea most of the time for 3-4 weeks depending on the tuna. You get paid $3500 USD a month as a pilot, and $7000 USD as a pilot/mech.
Its a good adventure.

up and go
10th Mar 2006, 22:51
Are you the famous, Girv from NZ? PM me

i4iq
11th Mar 2006, 01:44
I've heard that they'll take lower hour pilots out in Guam - does anyone know if this is the case?

George Semel
11th Mar 2006, 02:19
What Girv said is pretty much the whole thing in a nut shell. Working for the Koreans well that's tough. As for what you need for flight times, around 1000 hours will get you on a boat. At least that was what it took back when I when out in the early 1990's. Companies like Hanson, Big Eye (out of business) use to run ads in trade-a-plane for pilots and a+p's its got to be at least 10 years since i seen an employment ad for Tuna Pilots in TAP. The pay is just about what it was ten years ago as well. There is an ad for a Tuna Pilot on the Climb to 350 web sight. First one I seen in a long long time. Because the Fleet is closer to OZ and NZ they tend to look there for pilots due to lower travel costs.

i4iq
11th Mar 2006, 04:17
Thanks George.

xtremalsound
5th Jun 2006, 20:22
I am looking for a job in a tune boat and i found a list but i called all phone in mexico and all are incorrect. Could any body give me actually information about this job? i have 200 hours of total time in h269 and bell 206. Helicopters.

Best Regards

Heliport
5th Jun 2006, 23:04
Lots of information here: Tuna boat ops (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=189413)

xtremalsound
6th Jun 2006, 09:23
Hello Heliport:

I readed this post and i called all mexican and other countrys phone and this phone are not in use in this moment. If somebody have actually information please let me know.

Best Regards

Wanna-be
6th Jun 2006, 09:42
Can it be that you forgot to add some numers. first go out your own country (00 in Holland) then countrynumber of Mexico, then the netnumber (I think) then the telephonenumber.

VEMD
6th Jun 2006, 09:50
Try this:
Maratún +5233365265
Pesquera Akalanes +52611761010 & 611760533
Helicopteros del Rio +5261781989
Pesca Azteca +526699 821884 /54

xtremalsound
6th Jun 2006, 21:13
Can it be that you forgot to add some numers. first go out your own country (00 in Holland) then countrynumber of Mexico, then the netnumber (I think) then the telephonenumber.
Hello i didn´t forget this number the problem is that in mexico there was a change in the numbres and all telephone that i had it are incorrect.

Thank for all

xtremalsound
6th Jun 2006, 21:14
Try this:
Maratún +5233365265
Pesquera Akalanes +52611761010 & 611760533
Helicopteros del Rio +5261781989
Pesca Azteca +526699 821884 /54

Thank for this number but i had phoned all this number and all are incorrect. Yesterday i can speak with Pesquera akalanes. It is the only company that i had spoken with them.
Best Regards and thank for all

Pd: Eres español no jeje

Rotorbike
6th Jun 2006, 21:25
PANAMA
Helicopteros De David Mr. Randy Stettmeier B-47 (507) 7758899 (507)7758839
Helipan Mr. Thomas Exemberger, ([email protected]) R-22, R-44 (507)2261236 / 2637982 (507) 2261039
Pesqueros Atlantica H-500 (507) 2649944 (507) 2649900
Donair Mr. Don Underwood. Numbers are in Arizona, USA. B-47 (602) 8660730(602) 9421070
Helicoptero Pacifico Mr. Ray Kinkaid R-22, R-44, H-500, B-206 (507) 2637281(507) 2696133

VENEZUELA
Aviatun Sra. Francis Graterol or co.owner Sr. Francisco Ortisi R-22 (58) 69471610 (58) 69471610
Pezatun Sr. Louis Garcia R-22, R-44, H-500 (58) 93312495 (58) 93334741 Venepesca R-22, H-500 (58) 93331610
Aeroatun Sr. Cesar Taguil R-22, R-44 (58) 93322674 / 93312644 (58)93310477
Cannavo H-500 (58) 93334425

MEXICO
Heli Tuna Sr. Olivera B-47 (52) 61746676 (52) 61746676
Heli Albatross Sr. Tony Aguire B-47 (52) 67601425
Maratun Sr. Osvaldo Perez B-47 (52) 33366767
Pesca Azteca Sr. Arnold Del Rio or Sr. Escobar B-206 (52) 69821844 (52)69851011
Pespero Nair Sr. Louis Castillo B-47, H-500 (52) 61781070 (52) 61783003
Pespero Akalan Sr. Guiellrmo Ramirez B-47 (52) 61762402

GUAM
Hansen Helicopters Mr. Barry Hansen B-47, H-500 (671) 6499581 (671)6499582
Tropican Helicopters Mr. Frank Holmes H-500 (671) 5658367 (671) 5658367
Hoffman Helicopters Mr. Steve Hoffman (www.hoffmanhelo.com) H-500 (671)649-1339/1350 (671) 6499890

ECUADOR
Atlantic Corp. Sr. Paco Garcia R-44 (593) 5622286 (593) 5620304

COLOMBIA
Colombia Cartagena Sra. Maria Luisa or Sr. Carlos Zarate R-22, R-44 (575) 6686306 (575) 6685648

xtremalsound
7th Jun 2006, 08:51
Hello:
Thank rotorbike for the list but i had it. in this moment a lot of phone are of diferents persons. I phoned and they said me sorry this number is of other person in this moment.
Isn´t there any pilot mexican that he have information about it?

Best Regards and Thanks for all

rotorboy
7th Jun 2006, 14:58
Hello,
I think I have stated in the past that the list you have is very outdated and probably doesnt have a single correct number.

Fishing has changed. Laws on forigen pilots have changed.

It is my understanding you will have a very difficult time on a Mexican Boat. You must be a Mexican National to fly a X reg or get a Mexican Lic. At one point there were many EU's flying off the Mexican boats , but no longer. Some of the SA countrys are the same now

You may want to drop a line to 3Top, he could probably fill you in on Panama, and what boats have aircraft still.

Part of the problem is many of these boats no longer have helicopters, the heyday of Tuna is gone, and it is not economical to use the chopper. Also other technologies being used.
My Fuel truck drvier here in Mexcio, worked the boats for many years as a pilot/eng. We were talking about this the other day and many of the Mexican boats dont have helicopters any more either. On a recent flight down the pacific coast, I saw many parked seiners, sin helicopters.

Also not to sound pesimistic, but your chances of getting on a boat with 200 hrs , well are slim to none. Most companys in the Western Pacific want 1000+ and some's insurance now require 2000+. Many of the boats in Central and South America run r22/r44 and look for pilot eng types and experience on type.

Buena Suerte

RB

xtremalsound
8th Jun 2006, 11:49
Ok, thanks for all

rewritable
2nd Sep 2006, 11:04
I am one of the lucky few who managed to get a job flying helicopters, when i first started i heard about tuna fish flying, old turbine helicopters hunting for tuna fish in south america, even had an email address. I was wondering if anyone had done this job and what their experiences were.

Bravo73
2nd Sep 2006, 12:16
Have you tried a 'PPRuNe search' yet?

Heliport
2nd Sep 2006, 12:52
Probably not. ;)

All you need to know about trying to get a job on a tuna boat in various parts of the world here >>> Tuna Boat Ops (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=189413)

Heliport

Colonal Mustard
2nd Sep 2006, 14:00
http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/head_in_sand_small.jpg

Sorry couldn`t resist:E

rewritable
2nd Sep 2006, 15:48
Thanks for all the help, unfortunately i already had read the tuna spotting thread, this is all about trying to finda job spotting fish, i already have a job i was interested in any stories people had about spotting, things that had happened to them on the boats, life changing experiences etc.

CYHeli
6th Sep 2006, 00:04
A NZ instructor friend of mine received an email from a mate that was working a tuna boat. The email contained a photo of a H500 on floats that had landed on a sandy spit and someone took a photo of the pilot next to his ride. My friend made a note of the a/c rego and then checked it out on the NZ register. Turns out the register had that rego to an AS350.

Beware and don't get burnt! Those hours could be a problem in the log book (see other recent thread). Especially if you later go to the company that owns the AS350.:eek:

I also heard that when the maintenace got a bit slack, the pilot just pushed the machaine over the side. Lucky for him, they didn't make him swim back !!

spencer17
11th Nov 2006, 06:20
Good morning all,
I just want to know what they pay for pilots operating from tuna boats.
It's an operation from New Guinea with Hughes 500 and the pay is tax free.
I'm an oldtimer with 16,700+ hours and vessel experiance (research vessel).
I have no idea what the normal pay is.
Thanks for all hints.

Always happy landings
Spencer17

MPT
11th Nov 2006, 08:57
G'day Spencer17,

As far as I know, there are no tuna companies operating out of PNG. The vessels and their helicopters visit various ports in PNG (and other ports in the Western Pacific) to tranship their catch to cargo vessels. The only companies still operating in that area are Hansen Helicopters (US owned) in Guam and Tropic Helicopters (Australian owned) who have recently moved from Guam to Pohnpei. The going rate used to be $US3600/month with a bonus if you last the full 12 months of the contract. The tax free bit is a tad misleading, in that they pay you and you are responsible for ensuring that any tax that is liable on it is paid to the relevant blood suckers.

Hope this helps,

MPT

Girv
11th Nov 2006, 10:17
Tropic's looking for pilots at the moment spencer17, I've just finished working for them. PM me if you want some numbers

Friday0815
12th Nov 2006, 22:45
Hey guys I just want to know how many hours you should have to start on a tuna boat.

Friday

MPT
13th Nov 2006, 04:10
G'day Friday,

Depends on how desperate they are at the time, but generally 1000 or 1500hrs tt depending on insurance requirements. There have been guys with very low hours put on from time to time, but IMHO it's not a job for a <500hr pilot.

Cheers,

MPT

jetflite
9th Jan 2007, 01:00
Any revelations/news on this industry at present ?

toivonen
9th Jan 2007, 10:48
:) [quote=tigerpic;193852]i recently had a job offer from venezuela flying a h500 for tunaspotting. $10k/trip lasting up to three months

couple of questions:
what's the condition of the machines in general? i'm not talking american companies. is it worth risking your life for it? i'm not desperate for turbine hours.
i was told they used dynamite dropped from the helicopter. now, i'm not interested in breaking international laws (even if it concerns fish) when flying. is this legal? flying through airspace without contacting atc is one thing, not that i do that either. :p

cheers

tiger

Heliseka
9th Jan 2007, 18:10
Girv

You dont happen to be an old pnbhs boy are ya .. palmy boys.Think i might have been in one of your classes a good few years back:p in 91-92

Girv
10th Jan 2007, 00:25
Yeh mate thats the one

EMS R22
10th Jan 2007, 05:35
Dirty old Palmy Boys ! Its a small world !:ok: :ok: :ok:

Heliseka
10th Jan 2007, 15:15
Yeah Girv thought you might of been the one at palmy.. read in old school,that ou were flying choppers.You still out on the tuna boats,Had a mate from Taupo a good few years back out in Guam and he did a few years on a 500 c ,Had some great pictures, and the money is not bad either.I am just on a ppl h , and have my own construction company, so when i get time i will prob go ahead and get my cpl,Its alot of work here in the old Jaa world though, loads of exams and pretty much a full time ground course.:hmm:

zms47
26th May 2007, 02:35
g,day.
could anyone give me any recent advice to the tuna spotting industry? hrs needed, contacts, if any jobs around, where abouts, etc

xtremalsound
27th May 2007, 20:16
Hi guys!

I am a spanish pilot and the last summer i was working in a tune boat in Venezuela with Aviatun. i have good thinked about this company i had a new helicopter and we had a lot of parts about it.
The problem in this moment there are not a lot ot tune and it's posible that you'll stay a lot of time inside the boat becuase you can't fish a lot of.
About other things i like this experience, i flow a lot of all days.

Sorry for my bad english :D

onthebumline
28th May 2007, 14:12
xtremalsound,

Please make no appologies for your english, it is not bad at all and has given me a fantastic vision of manuel from fawlty towers chasing big fish around in an old helicopter with loads of loose parts hanging of it.

Sorry if this means nothing to you.

I hope one day to fly for a dodgy venezulan fishing company for peanuts. Few questions:-

i) Can you eat as much Tuna as you want when not flying?:yuk:
ii) Can the Captain (of the boat) order you to launch even if the weather is $hit?:eek:
iii) What is the most hours you have flown in a 24 hour period?:zzz:
iv) Who does all the maintainence?

Cheers,

OTBL

DonMarcos
25th Jun 2007, 22:12
resurrecting the thread....

I am interested in the Latin American market as I speak spanish, but any info regarding the state of the tuna industry would be good.

I have a shiny new kiwi CPLH, has anyone gone to the boats for their first job, and was it courting disaster or a lucky break?

Hughesy
25th Jun 2007, 23:38
Never done boats myself, but I cant see it being the easiest at times.
Good luck with you new CPL. But remember...you now have a licence to go learn. Hope it all wortks out for you. :ok:

singesavant
19th Sep 2007, 15:23
Hey, any updates on what's going on in that business, still any fish?

what about low time fresh out from the school, any advices would be appreciate...

thanks for that thread anyways

havick
12th Oct 2007, 13:08
singesavant, about 250 turbine command is still a pre-req.. they prefer to hire guys with close to 1000 hours, but I guess keep pestering them and you never know, right place right time.

singesavant
12th Oct 2007, 22:48
Cool thanks, really apreciate your input, that's always good to get any advices!

So thanks for that and have a good one

Regard

aleslo69
2nd Nov 2007, 08:51
hey, I am a Colombian helicopter pilot and I flew on a tuna boat around a year on Panama.

i) Can you eat as much Tuna as you want when not flying?:yuk:
Yes you can, but all the time you are flying.

ii) Can the Captain (of the boat) order you to launch even if the weather is $hit?:eek:
Not, he can't is your last desition.

iii) What is the most hours you have flown in a 24 hour period?:zzz:
daily between 6 and 9 hours all days without rest until you fill the boat
and pay is a ****. But nice experience.

iv) Who does all the maintainence?
A mechanic in the tuna boat. He goes with you.

betty_boop
2nd Nov 2007, 22:47
Hello aleslo69,

Is Panama still the place to go for a low timer (420h :ugh:) in order to catch a job?

R44 still the machine to fly?

Is Helipan really a good place to train specifically for tuna boats and make contacts or was the post about this school (same thread, 2003) only advertisement like? :{
http://www.helipan.com/english/company/index.html

What about the Samoas and Guam?

What about this year (2007) visa situation and work permit on the these boats?

I am French, Canadian permanent resident and got both american (commercial and CFI) and canadian licences (commercial)...I know, it's a mess..always like that in this industry, ain't it?

Any information greatly appreciated...:ok:

gilabender
12th Dec 2007, 03:39
Hi, I'm new to this forum as this is my first post. My question is if I have dual citizenship (usa/mexico), speak spanish fluently, and have my FAA commercial rotorcraft, will I be able to get a job faster on tuna boats? Are there any jobs on tuna boats anymore? I'm trying not to go the CFI route but will if I need be. Your replies are truly appreciated.

TunaSandwich
12th Dec 2007, 08:27
Hi gilabender

I'd recommend going the "CFI route" and get a thousand or two hours before going out on the boats. Tuna boats are attractive to new pilots (I presume from your post that you are looking for your first job?) as there are no official minimum requirements and your not carrying paying passengers around (oh, plus the fact that you fly shed loads of hours and get paid loads...sometimes:)). But the reality is that it is tough flying and you would be VERY glad of a thousand or two hours experience once you're out there. Being fluent Spanish would definitely improve your chances of getting a job and I understand there are some large companies in Mexico. Not too much fish out there at the moment I hear but I would think because of that the market prices are high and boats are out there looking, therefore using a lot of pilots.

Sorry if I sound negative but my personal experience out there made feel obliged to give you an honest opinion.
Good luck!

betty_boop

From what I hear Panama is still a great place to start, and I think a large Venezuelan company just moved their operation there. Best thing to do is to take a vacation down there and while you're having a great time (you WILL have a great time) you could pop into the local operators to see whats what, they are usually straight forward. Unlikely anyone will hire you over the phone no matter what your experience, although it can happen. R44 is becoming the most common Helicopter although there are still R22's and H500's out there. Not sure about the visa requirements but you will need a license for the country which operates the heli. Have to be honest though and say that you should get yourself a load more hours before making the effort.

TunaSandwich

gilabender
14th Dec 2007, 01:04
Hi TunaSandwich.

Thanks alot for your information. It was very helpful. I'm still getting my CFI. I should be done in about 1 1/2 months. I do see your point and maybe I will take the CFI route. Thanks

TunaSandwich
14th Dec 2007, 07:19
gilabender

Good luck with the (I presume FAA) CFI course, I did the same. Best thing you could do if you are interested in Tuna Ops in the future would be to look for your first Instructing job in Mexico, preferably close to a Tuna zone so that you can start to build contacts from the word go. In that business its very much "who you know"

Suerte

TunaSandwich

Marcelino
27th Dec 2007, 12:48
Hello , I am Spanish and I am desperate because there is no work for me, I have lisence CPL JAA capacity for the R22 and R44, I just need an opportunity to begin , please I need help

singesavant
29th Dec 2007, 15:40
hi, i'm also working on my FAA CFI, fluent in spanish i would be very interesed
by working in mexico...

do you have any advices in that way, what schools to contacts, any ideas?

Happy new year all of you

Marcelino
14th Apr 2008, 20:27
Hello, I am looking for a job in tuna boats, can anybody tell me if there is a place that needs pilots , thanks in advance

voodoo2
14th Apr 2008, 21:08
Try aviatuna in punto fijo in Venezuela. Sorry dont have the contact info. Google?

Marcelino
21st Apr 2008, 12:20
Hello again,
I would like to know if anyone can help me, I have decided to go to panama to try to find some tuna boat that wants to contract me, I have money saved, if someone has had some experience and can advise generally some things that I have to do... Many thanks in advance, I have JAA license with R44 and R22

Whirlygig
21st Apr 2008, 12:27
Tuna spotting? Is this where the helicopter lands on a little pad on the back of a boat? Takes some skill, I would have thought! And where the pilot is often the engineer as well? And chief cook and bottle washer?

Just asking!

Cheers

Whirls

Marcelino
21st Apr 2008, 12:42
Thank you for your help I am very interested to go and win this experience and the hours

Marcelino
21st Apr 2008, 15:02
Let me make the question again, I would like to know if anyone can advise me if this is going well for South America (Panama) without work; and if this is being able to find one in the tuna boats, if anyone has had this experience or similar and can help.me ...please is important for me because probably I will go next week, I have one contact but I don't Know if I need Panama lisence, I have the JAA R44 and R22, thanks in advance

inmate
21st Apr 2008, 17:27
Its been a few years but their used to be an operator at a small airfield called Pateia?? He is an american and maintained a load of different helicopters for the boats.
Before venturing down there I would start a phone search and talk to a few people first. Try to find an American boat, the living conditions, food and helicopter all will be to an acceptable standard (well better than the alternative). Stay away from Guam and the Korean fleet unless you really wish to be treated like dog dodo. Search here for "Tuna Boat" and I think it will bring up a number of threads. Try Gann Industries in San Diego, they have (or did) 4 or 5 boats and a large number of crew and skippers live in that area. Get a copy of HAI Helicopter Annual and look up Panama for operators, call and if they don't handle the helicopters they may know who does.
Lastly if you are of a sensitive nature you may not be ready for the verbal abuse that will be screamed at you during a set, or even worse you become unservicable at sea and cant fix it, then you will be the pirrana of the ship. As to the flying slightly on the cowboy side and a lot of low tight manuvours not for the fainthearted. Landings and takeoffs can be a "challenge" and have more than their fair share of accidents. Old advice but walk around twice to check the chains are off the skids before you T/O, when landing cross the bow left to right, make a right turn let the ship pass you and match the speed on final. Fixate on the landing spot as you touchdown, dont use the horizon as the leveler, remember you are rising and falling with the ship and get the collective down asap. If you dont have a mechanic with you then train one of the crewmen to chain you down and refuel you.
I'm sure I have missed something but the old farts brain can't retain old info or water for that matter.
Best of luck to you anyway, if you'r single and can put up with your own company for months at a time and dont mind a little discomfort sometimes then it can be an adventure.

TunaSandwich
22nd Apr 2008, 08:31
Hi Marcelino

Look back on this thread, its been talked about a lot and there is excellent current information. You will need a License for the country in which the Helicopter is registered and if you don't have at least 1000 hours I would recommend not going as the flying is very tough.

#kiwikid#
9th Jul 2008, 03:33
Hi There
I'm just wonderig if the contact numbers from page 6 are still current for Hansen & Tropic Helicopters in Guam?
Any info will be appreciated.
Cheers #kiwikid#:ok:

bogey@6
19th Jul 2008, 02:14
Tuna spotting? Is this where the helicopter lands on a little pad on the back of a boat? Takes some skill, I would have thought! And where the pilot is often the engineer as well? And chief cook and bottle washer?

Just asking!

deck is up front on top of the wheelhouse. right behind the deck is the mast and antenna farm. t/o & ldg on moving boat.. lots of flying-- usually a square pattern ahead of ship up to abt 60nm.

during my stint back in the late 80s pay was arnd 7k/mo or more if you unload more than once. now it's down to arnd 3.6k/mo. most boats then were american and yugoslavian-- now they're mostly korean and taiwanese. back then nav is time&dist although you have xpnder & you get vectored back if it is working.

Scissorlink
19th Jul 2008, 06:40
Helicopter Fishing - Coolest Sport Ever Video (http://www.break.com/index/helicopter-fishing-coolest-sport-ever.html)

Wonder if you can netgun them ??

SL

Ewe Turn
19th Jul 2008, 09:12
WTF??????:eek:
Amazing!

allyn
19th Jul 2008, 09:48
It's sort of high tech fish noodling! :O

Noodling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noodling)

Scissorlink
19th Jul 2008, 10:52
Play us a tune on that banjo son while I'll do me sum nooodlin :}

Gordy
19th Jul 2008, 14:15
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/LaFonda/j11.jpg

#kiwikid#
19th Jul 2008, 23:27
Hi there guys
Is there any Kiwi pilots who have the contact details for Hansen & Tropic Helicopters in Guam?
I've looked all over the net, but haven't found any reliable contact numbers.
Any info will be greatly appreciated
Cheers #kiwikid#

Stan Switek
19th Jul 2008, 23:57
Did a Google search & found this:

Hansen Helicopters Inc. - Guam
Contact Details
Telephone: +1 671 649 9580 Fax: +1 671 649 9582
Email: [email protected]

bans393
29th Aug 2008, 12:17
Hello #KIWIKID#, im a pilot and working with the Aerial Surveys Pty Unlimited dubbed as TROPIC HELICOPTERS, since they moved to Pohnpei from Guam early last year. If you're still available and interested in joining the trade try this email add [email protected], im sure they will entertian you!!I got a lot of KIWI friends here in the fishing grounds..see yah!!

Abatanboy

hightower56
9th Sep 2008, 19:51
There are no 500s on the V boats and starting pay would be around 3 grand and 2 or 3 dollars per ton. 10 grand would be for a pilot\mech who was very good and rare.

winged hunters
9th Sep 2008, 22:48
Anyone thinking about tuna spotting in the Pacific these days should think twice about it.

Maintenance on the 500's is worse than ever due to increased running costs, and there are less fish out there than ever before, mainly due to overfishing and giant South American boats moving in because the tuna population in the Atlantic is basically fuc*ked. This means long long stretches out on the water and very stressed fisherman.

A mate of mine was killed out there 12 months ago almost certainly because of the dodgy maintenance. One company over there is worse than the other one, it still has'nt changed.

I know the heli companies are just trying to make money like the rest of us but I don't quite agree with it all.

HillerBee
9th Sep 2008, 23:21
Maintenance for Hansen is done by engineers from the Philippines, the problem is they don't speak English or very little.

ChopperIMC
1st Oct 2008, 21:45
Marcelino:

I have current and valid contact info. regarding Aviatun s.a. in Venezuela.
Send me an PM.

I started to distribute the contact list (discussed earlier on this tread) about 10 years ago. The contact info. is more or less outdated and a lot of the Companies don´t even have a website. A lot of research is therefore needed.

My only tuna experience is with Aviatun. I had no problems what so ever with that Company. Good boats, crew, mechanic, chopper, management, payed every time..

Times have changed I´ve been told. You have to find out the latest about activity, pay, quota etc. Google as much as you can.

For those of you that has been in the industry, you are welcome to join my non-profit Facebook group: Tuna Spotter Helicopter Pilot, to post pictures, stories and more.

Login | Facebook (http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6474563426)

Farmbake
3rd Oct 2008, 14:25
Hef-

For the pacific fleet all you need is a current licence/ rating. The regulators don't tend to care too much about what goes on out there. The machines aren't alway's registered although they do tend to have some magic numbers plastered on the side. Your crewmens Visa is only a necessity if you don't have a return airfare. I would buy a return airfare as you may not like what you see! Good fun out there but definitely keep your wits about you.

Good Luck,

winged hunters
9th Nov 2008, 01:26
From 'Big Eye vet' on another forum.

Sums tuna spotting up really, may be harsh but definitely fair. :eek:

If anybody is thinking of applying to Hansen for a job:

ask these questions:

1) how many fatal accidents has your company had over the course of its history?

(it's a LOT!)

2) are you still using those OLD, OLD, OLD C-18 engines Johnny Walker got cheap by the dumpster full?

2B) And WHY did you pull perfectly good C20B engines out of your aircraft and replace them with underpowered, unreliable C18's?? That was the case a few years ago. It might have changed. Ask anyhow.

3) Are you comfortable landing on a slippery, rolling, heaving helideck?

4) Wait until there is fish in the net. Hanging over the port side. Now your deck will roll from side to side and really get your attention. Are you ready for this?

5) Your captain might be a grumpy old sod. Korean or Taiwanese. Some are good, some are bad, some are crazy, and don't give a damn. Do NOT expect him to turn into wind for you, or slow down, or speed up, or help you at all. Some are GREAT. Some really don't care. You MIGHT be on your own. Are you ready for this?

6) If you go in, don't expect a coordinated search and rescue. You may be a 1000 miles offshore. Dream on. You are going to be relying on your buddies to find you. They might be a few days sailing time away. I've been on those searches. Never found anybody.

7) You have JUST landed, the deck is soaking wet, and the captain or the navigator sees fish off the port beam. He hauls on the helm, and the boat turns hard. The ship rolls over VERY hard. You start sliding. The edge of the deck is coming up. It has a lip, or a navigation light, or some obstacle. You whack the throttle open hard, pull power in a snarling snatch, and lift off frantically just in time to avoid a crash. Nobody apologizes. You sense their minds are on catching fish, and the helicopter is just a tool.A flying speedboat. Out there. Somewhere.
Are you ready for this?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a grump, but it cracks me up to read this Bravo Sierra about "great opportunity for a young pilot". It's a great opportunity to get yourself killed. Unless you really know what you are doing.

TunaSandwich
9th Nov 2008, 12:56
:DAgreed, a bit harsh but I would say okay for a young pilot so long as you have a couple of thousand hours before even attempting it. Being older now I certainly wouldn't go back.:bored:

AirWon
9th Nov 2008, 17:44
I worked for Hansen in '98. Winged Hunter's quote from "Big Eye Vet" is spot on. I had a horrendous experience with my drunken Captain who ended up attacking me..........Great story looking back!!
As I reflect though, the biggest concern would be if you actually got hurt. You are way down any list of priorities. Quite simply if you are several hundred miles from port you are fu@*#d. Even a minor injury can become major in a very short time.
Tuna boats used to be standard way to build time/experience/make some money. Why bother when you can get in an EC130 in the Canyon with barely 1000 hours, make some decent money and move on.
........but if you're looking for adventure; probably one of the few places left for a low time guy.
I do remember all those C18's stacked up outside though. Maybe thy've got through them all by now. Scarey!!

winged hunters
11th Nov 2008, 07:16
I did a 12 month contract for Hansens's in 2001-2002. It was definately an experience but I don't think I will do it again. It make's you think (you have plenty of time) after you have an engine failure about 60 nm from the boat and about 600 nm from land.

I worked for Hansen in '98. Winged Hunter's quote from "Big Eye Vet" is spot on. I had a horrendous experience with my drunken Captain who ended up attacking me..........Great story looking back!!

That reminds me of a very 'pleasant' story...I had a Korean fisherman hold a very sharp knife to my throat after I refused to give him a cigarette (very long story), after about six weeks of very very poor fishing. A tuna boat is not a nice place to be after a few weeks of poor catches...

Dysfunctional
7th Jul 2009, 13:19
Some interesting comments here. If you read some of the articles on sustainability of the tuna on tunaseinerscom it seems that albacore tuna in the Atlantic HAS been over fished, and that there is therefore a move of more fishing vessels to the Pacific. The question of morality in going fishing may well be increasingly coming into play. What do you guys think?
I don't know enough about it. My tuna fishing days are long since over. Check out the stories on tuna flying by Francis Moggy Meyrick there on tunaseiners website. There is a link on the front page where it says "Tuna helicopters". BTW I was just reading about a fatal accident in Ponopeh in 2007 (Tropic helicopters) and another just recently off PNG, on bladeslappers.com
Does anybody have a database or know of a database listing tuna helicopter accidents? I have tried the NTSB, but I got lost in the maze.
Also, I see that acidic comment from Big Eye Vet quoted above was on bladeslappers.com but it got a different response there than it did here.
Is he right? I wonder if we had better equipment and maintenance back in the 80's and 90' s than the guys are getting today? Same machines, just more worn out? And that whole business with the Hansen C20 engines being swopped out for C18 engines, what was all that about? Cost saving? What are they, military surplus or something? Can you still get them, or are they long since used up? Strange, strange business, this tuna flying today?
:rolleyes:

TukTuk BoomBoom
7th Jul 2009, 19:46
They were C-10s, miitary versions of C-18s, and when i was there they had an exemption to operated them for 12 months. That was 10 years ago.
Good fishing 10 years ago too, all the boats had their own 500 and few diddle-head pilots or philly mechanics.
I hear its a bit different now.

Dysfunctional
8th Jul 2009, 02:18
Yeah, that's what I'm hearing and reading. A lot of accidents as well.
I would not go back to it, life is too comfy now, but it was fun.
Marys saloon/bar in Tarawa and the King Solomon in Honiara to mention but a few. We did a lot of flying,caught a lot of fish, and drank a lot of beers.
Do I miss that?Lemme see. Nah. Oh! Mebbe a bit. Wheres Bill Saathof these days?
:{

Ned-Air2Air
8th Jul 2009, 02:33
When I was a kid it was fun going out to Ardmore and seeing all the 500cs and Ds parked outside Dalhoff & King while the boats were tied up alongside the wharves in the city.

Remember some cool looking boats such as Finnistere, Adriatic Sea, The Black Pearl, Capt M J Souza etc. That was also back in the days when Julius and Michael Zolezzi had a lot of the helos under their San Diego Helicopter Services banner. I think I still have some pics of the odd kiwi rego helo, one that springs to mind was "Big Jag" a yellow 500C flown by an American called Mike O'Brien I think it was.

Anyway just some past memories.

Ned

Dysfunctional
18th Sep 2009, 21:24
Anybody interested in tuna helicopters, maybe this might help:

View Work - Writers Harbor (http://www.writersharbor.org/work_view.php?work=331)

Te_Kahu
19th Sep 2009, 00:03
Ned. A friend of mine worked on the Fininistere. I'm not sure if it was that boat, or the next boat he worked, that he conned his way on to being the captain for a tour. Some of the stories from those boats and those days are just mind boggling. (sorry for thread drift)

Dysfunctional
24th Sep 2009, 12:39
How about this one? :bored:

View Work - Writers Harbor (http://www.writersharbor.org/work_view.php?work=393)

NZowned
9th Oct 2009, 21:58
Does anyone have any contact details for companys still doing tuna spotting.. Cheers..

Dysfunctional
12th Oct 2009, 21:12
View Work - Writers Harbor (http://www.writersharbor.org/work_view.php?work=410)

marc-h
13th Oct 2009, 09:02
saw a nice video on You tube ( helicopter job on a tuna boat part 1 )
a slow start , but then comes a nice video of the helicopter taking off. The song played makes it compleet !
Does anyone knows the title and artist of this song ?

best regards , marc

RS82
24th Nov 2009, 22:47
Hello guys
Need some info regarding the two major 500 operators in the SW pacific. Please PM me if you are currently or used to fly for either of them and are willing to answer a few vital questions I have. There is a very good chance will be working for one of them .

hef
29th Dec 2009, 19:58
Does anyone know of any companies around the world who are still using Jet Rangers in the tuna fields?

What about the mighty Bell 47?

carsickpuppy
4th Jan 2010, 15:08
hef-
I've seen pictures of both types flying off tuna boats, not recent snaps... Seems the Jetranger had corrosion issues with all the salt air. 369/500's in the West Pacific and Robinson's in Central, South America although there's probably Hughes/MD's there as well.

RS82-
If you still have ?'s pm me, I'll answer them best I can.

rick1128
9th Jan 2010, 16:23
Has anyone heard of Peska Helicopters? Good, Bad and the ugly please.

bladebanger
10th Jan 2010, 03:35
I have just heard that Tropic Helicopters who operate in the Western pacific ocean area have LOST 10 helicopters to accidents in the last 12 months. 4 of these were to tied down accidents which is where I'm told the helicopter is still tied down to the ship and the pilot has taken off with one of the tie down straps still attached to the aircraft and the helicopter smashes into the side of the ship.

Can anyone confirm these numbers?
Seems that we ALL will now pay a higher premium for our insurances now!

Banger

hef
10th Jan 2010, 09:08
I doubt it very much...but someone can correct me if I'm wrong, last time I heard (18 months ago) they only had 19 machines in the fleet.

It may seem like they make alot of money when you find out what the boats pay per helicopter, but the expenses are enormous. I doubt they could lose 10 machines in 12 months and get through it.

tuna spot
10th Jan 2010, 22:42
Have not heard of peska helos before but i take it they fly of tuna boats,also i got told there is a mob in american samoa that use 44s mayby its them.had a mate last year flying for tropic helos.crazy story about his drunk spotter,its the sptters job to take the tie downs of which hold the heli on deck,they were in the machine ready to go the master screaming in his ear (fry fry you fry now) old mate got the thumbs up that tie downs off he pulled power but the bloody rear pax side tie down was still on as the heli lifted the tie down pulled the heli starboard side in the water,heli hit part of the ship as it fell in the water both of them lucky to get out alive.

driftersabre
6th Feb 2010, 03:59
A good song by the gunners. Failure to communicate. I had to fight for my safety every day operating a hughes 500 for Tropic helos. I was and remain determined not to sucumb to the preasure of a screaming lunatic (captain or fishmaster) who usually has zero knowledge of helicopter operations. I would rather be grumpy and no good according to the fishmaster than a nice guy who pleases but destroys the machine. Spotting is a safe practice. The helicopter should be operated like an aeroplane with the advantage of landing on a deck. Sadly, pilots fall to the trap of a lack of assertiveness and operate like hovercraft with many crashes. There is know insurance company that will insure for fish herding. None. Remember this next time you prance off the deck to replicate a hovercraft. Learn to say NO and live longer.:ok:

driftersabre
6th Feb 2010, 04:04
I heard that it was nine. There is no australian underwriter that will touch a helicopter operating off purse seiner. Australia is known as a hot spot, whatever that means. I just finished a six month stint with tropic helicopters. Do your research on this one.

lotsahueys
9th Feb 2010, 21:21
driftersabre

Check you PM's

Lotsa

:ok:

Heliringer
10th Feb 2010, 07:11
I heard that it was nine. There is no australian underwriter that will touch a helicopter operating off purse seiner. Australia is known as a hot spot, whatever that means. I just finished a six month stint with tropic helicopters. Do your research on this one.

A good song by the gunners. Failure to communicate. I had to fight for my safety every day operating a hughes 500 for Tropic helos. I was and remain determined not to sucumb to the preasure of a screaming lunatic (captain or fishmaster) who usually has zero knowledge of helicopter operations. I would rather be grumpy and no good according to the fishmaster than a nice guy who pleases but destroys the machine. Spotting is a safe practice. The helicopter should be operated like an aeroplane with the advantage of landing on a deck. Sadly, pilots fall to the trap of a lack of assertiveness and operate like hovercraft with many crashes. There is know insurance company that will insure for fish herding. None. Remember this next time you prance off the deck to replicate a hovercraft. Learn to say NO and live longer.

Do this mob work under an AOC and do the regulators ever check?

driftersabre
11th Feb 2010, 08:03
I would say with great confidence no. The helicopters that I know operate without a maintenance release. There is no entry in the POH about the fixed floats or a revised weight so you have no idea what it weighs. There are no flight and duty times or check flights by a CP. You operate the aircraft with no idea of component times, they call the maintenace on condition meaning if it works, it remains. I don't no why the regulators, CASA in this case leave Tropic alone. I guess it's because they are based in Pohnpei. For what it's worth,
Richard.

hef
11th Feb 2010, 22:25
Why should CASA have anything to do with helicopters that have Filipino reg numbers that are operated overseas?

Alot of helicopters in Australasia are operated more or less 'on condition', anyone who says otherwise needs to get out more. If the CASA or the NZ CAA were serious about stamping out this practice they would have made tamper proof hour metres mandatory a long time ago.

Ok, the tuna boat heli companies take it to a new level, but it is an amazing experience flying off purse seiners, I could write a book about the positive aspects of this job. If you don't like it, stop complaining. No one tells a pilot to do this job, he does it by choice and it's his fault for not finding out more about the industry if he finds himself in the deep end.

There are 180 messages on this site about it for a start.

rotor01
15th Feb 2010, 02:29
Does anyone have a current email for tropic helicopters?

driftersabre
15th Feb 2010, 03:51
No CASA, no problem. Unfortunately it is there resposibility to protect and inform the greater public. I agree with you Hef, although if you are going to provide a service, you need to be able to be scrutinised. The thing is, these companies know they would not get away with operating like this on the mainland. Should the pilot have lesser standards because you operate off a purse seiner? Walking pass the sat aerial dome on the flight deck used to concern me the most. You could not avoid it so have your kids before you get cancer. LOL

mick e
27th Apr 2010, 09:26
Could someone tell me why they are still using the ancient C models? Would an R44 (even a 22 or a 300?) not do the job?

Has anyone heard of any future plans regarding helicopters on purse seiners? Some of the parts for C models must be getting as rare as hens teeth surely.

outofwhack
28th Apr 2010, 10:35
No avgas available in the area of operation.
C models = cheapest option that burns only available fuel

bans393
29th Jul 2010, 11:53
Try this Bro,

admin @ tropichelicopters.com
Hope it willl help you...Good Luck

abatanboy

Ship Manager
31st Aug 2010, 18:06
One of my ships has been buzzed by a helicoptor probably from a tuna boat. Vessel is 250 miles off Costa Rica so presume wouldn't have the range to get to / from land. Reg was reported as HP1491. Any info welcome.

Thanks.

Twitcher
31st Aug 2010, 19:17
HP-1491 Robinson 44 Raven I 1289 HP-1491

ROTORSPOT - Complete Civil Rotorcraft Register of Panama (http://www.rotorspot.nl/hp.htm)

Ship Manager
1st Sep 2010, 11:13
Thanks Twitcher, much obliged.

Hans K.
14th Sep 2010, 13:08
We lost Perry J. Krinitt last month in a hiller crash / idaho ... he was 42ish . Just google it . He worked in guam in the 90s. Ended up a Kmax pilot for years .
Rest in peace brother . Any old tuna dogs out there email me .

I figured I would post this for the scattered tuna pilots across the globe . I did the pilot /mech job from the 80 - 2002 . It went from great aircraft and accommodations to junk and foreign boats . The best combo was a Mechanic who had become a pilot . As I always said if you can drive a stick shift car in a hilly downtown area - you can fly a chopper .

Long gone are the good field mechs , everyone wants to down machines for
scratches in the blade tip cap , No 8130 for a rebuilt part . " the o-rings look old ".

I hear they are only selling daily boat fishing permits to some Island groups now . So they try to fly in and look for fish and buy the permit as needed . This might boost the aircraft used off boats .

Stay safe ,,,, Thanks HK

marconoahu
11th Dec 2010, 20:01
I'm assigned to the Cosmos Kim now. I plan to learn a few words of Korean.

carsickpuppy
12th Dec 2010, 00:33
I plan to learn a few words of Korean

Probably a good idea. You don't want to whistle though, whistling attracts bad spirirts. I thought the cook was gonna hack me up and feed me to the fishes one year after I gave my rendition of Jingle Bells. He saved us all though by offering up Korean rum to the ghosts -- sprinkling it all over the ship and begging for forgiveness.

TukTuk BoomBoom
13th Dec 2010, 19:42
I cant believe how much this industry hasnt changed in the 10 years since i was last out there.
"Hef" has his head up his back side about the "on condition in Australasia" comment, get real mate! Ive been around and the operators youre talking about are few and far between but i guess thats the main thing that hasnt changed in 10 years, idiots that would fly anything and then tell everyone what a great time it was.
But i guess theres a wide spectrum of helicopter operators and pilots to match.
As a chief pilot said to me recently, "im not hiring anymore long time ex tuna boat pilots, they cant do mountain or sling work and are generally below average pilots"
Up to you but dont make a career out of it and dont believe Hefs crap about mantenance standards in Australasia, pure bubble..

randyjarhead
29th Dec 2010, 04:21
im a low hour pilot looking for work.mabe point me in the right direction

Power Up
1st Jan 2011, 14:20
I made enquirues a whike ago, and got told they are only taking guys with 1000hrs + now.

Good luck

Aser
7th Jun 2011, 08:01
Company: H.A.S. Pty Ltd
Fax Number: (+61) 295217879
Address: Helimarine
Honiara
Solomon Islands
Federated States of Micronesia
International
Web Address:
Company Info: Helicopter company with a Mitsubishi MU2 fixed wing support aircraft
Supported Manufacturers: Hughes / MD and varients

Job Title: Pilots and Mechanics Hughes 500.
Salary Range: TBA-TBA
Job Desc:
Helimarine has several positions becoming available over the next few months for experienced Pilots and Hughes 369 engineers/mechanics for engagement at our support facility and also for engagement aboard boats. It is essential that the applicants have good solid experience in Hughes 369HS / OH-6A and varients. Please reply with information that is relevent to the position advertised. We have no openings for B747 pilots or mechanics, or rocket scientists. We only operate Hughes 369 helicopters and variants.

Requirements:
PILOTS.

Prefaerably have 1000 hrs as PIC preferably with fish spotting experience or other maritime ops with deck landings. Alternatively proven experince in powerline inspections, insulator washing, feral eradication or similar reasonably demanding ops would be considered. Applicants should have experience on type, alternatively single engine turbine time.

Lesser hours may be considered on a case by case basis.

MECHANICS
The facility has a repair station licence and carries out the full range of maintenance activities on Hughes 500 / OH-6A types.. Several positions will be becoming available.

It is ESSENTIAL that applicants for mechanics positions have extensive experience on all aspects of Hughes 500 maintenance. Functions carried out range from rebuilds in the airframe shop, to general trouble shooting and serviceing, to component overhaul, including gearbox & transmission overhauls. Single accommodation provided. 12 months contract. return airfares. Local medical paid. Low tax regime.

Positions are available from time time aboard the boats maintaining a single helicopter. The positions aboard the deep sea fishing vessls are for 6 month or 12 month terms. Positions become available as mechanics and pilots complete their term and go on leave. The salary arrangements for sea going positions are fixed monthly as opposed to hourly rates for hanger crew.
Travel: Must be prepared to locate to the Western Pacific
Relocation:
Job Ident #: HIR
Benefits: Suit single person, accommodation provided, 12 month contract, return fares,very low tax rate, located Micronesia/Solomon Islands area

Regards
Aser

Francis Meyrick
21st Mar 2012, 23:10
I really, really wish Hansen Helicopters and Tropic Helicopters and others would step up to the pro-active safety plate, and come clean with their accidents. How many, when, where, probably cause, recommendations to prevent, etc, etc. I don't mean this to bash any company, or anybody's employer. I mean it in the sense that nothing saddens me more to hear, usually on Facebook's "Tuna Pilots" group or "Tuna Spotter Pilot" something like "my good friend Eduardo Lavalle just got killed...", and after that, NOTHING. SILENCE. Are we MEANT TO FORGET THESE GUYS??? SO TUNA HELICOPTER COMPANIES CAN KEEP GETTING NEW BLOOD AND MAKING THE FAT PROFITS?? Come on, Hansen, Tropic, and everybody else: accept there IS a huge accident rate, very often pilot error, these accidents are preventable with education, study, and pro-active safety efforts! The rest of the aviation community does it. WHY NOT HANSEN HELICOPTERS AND TROPIC??????

duffman58
17th Apr 2012, 21:14
there are several ........ [email protected] , [email protected], these two own the company, if you are enquiring about a job, use this address ............ [email protected]

blackhand
17th Apr 2012, 21:58
@Francis Meyrick
So which is it?
They only employ experienced mechanics and pilots, type specific to the Hughes 369 as per their ad, or are unsafe rogue operator(s).??
There is a disconnect here.

BH

duffman58
17th Apr 2012, 22:55
Tropic'requirements as far as i understand are 1000 hr + and at least an endorsement on the 500, and of course the more turbine time the better. From what I'm reading here now ....... lesser hours may be considered on a case by case basis. The guy to talk to if you are interested is Abner Indino (he's their OPs manager there at the moment) . He will be able to answer all the questions you want, his email address again is [email protected] . If you've got any more questions I'd only be to happy to try and answer them for you.
Tropic are differently not a "rogue operator" ....... a lot of changes have taken place in their hangar over the last two years, mechanic's are screened more closely, all new mechanic's have a mandatory OJT of a month to three months in the hangar (depending on their experience), where they are assessed before being released to the boats, if they are no good they are sent home. In most cases a mechanic will be sent out with an experienced mechanic to be trained in the correct procedures on board, they are then signed off and released to their boat, new pilots are treated the same 95% of the time.
It's sad to say that Tropic's rival company doesn't do this, their crew, as soon as they step off the plane, in most cases go straight onto the boat, talk about deep end training. I was one of them just quietly !!!
I have been in this industry for over 10 years, around it for 20, 8 of them flying off the boats
and I just loved it. It's certainly an experience that you get no where else, that's for sure !!!!
This will be my last year, my contract finishes in June, moving on to bigger and better machines if everything goes to plan.

captain kurt
14th Sep 2012, 15:35
hi duffman!

i am in contact with an operator based in guam, but could not find out where tropic is located at. are they in guam as well? and what is live like beyond the flying? how is the boat furnished? things like that.....

ck

fr0mab0ve
27th Aug 2013, 13:51
Anyone sitting on some news from the business?

Id really like to go out on one of those boats, looks so fun!

HeliStudent
27th Aug 2013, 19:08
looks so fun!

EcQYF8JyqcY

fr0mab0ve
27th Aug 2013, 20:40
Yeah dude I know, read through this thread like 100 times. Id just like to know how it looks right now, anyone out there who could tell me some bout the openings(if there are any) in the business right now!...

nomorehelosforme
27th Aug 2013, 22:35
Is that the head of HR, where do we apply! That aside does anyone have any pics or video of tuna spotting for the boats, the boats also use light airplanes( yes watching too much national geo tv!)

jazzyj78
5th Nov 2013, 07:36
Dear all,

How is the tuna spotting market today?
I'm looking for building hours jobs, and think tuna spotting is a good solution.

Any advise to give me?

Thank you for all information you can provide to me...

JMP

marcbisbal
16th Jul 2014, 16:44
Hi everyone, here's my question, I'm thinking about going on tuna fishing to built my time, but which license do I need? PPL FAA it's enough? I don't want to spend one year of my life flying "illegal" hours.

I was told that it's enough with a PPL FAA and a type endorsement of the machine you're going to work with, is that true? any experience on that anyone?

I have a EASA CPL btw, thanks a lot!;)

GoodGrief
16th Jul 2014, 20:36
You get paid for flying? It's a commercial job...

BlueVolta
16th Jul 2014, 20:59
Unless you are a fisherman....that flies!

Simplythebeast
16th Jul 2014, 21:13
Or perhaps a Fly Fisherman.

CYHeli
16th Jul 2014, 23:06
The aircraft reg has to be for the State that your licence covers. Most boats carry US reg, some New Zealand.
For you there is no point flying an N or VH reg aircraft if you hold an EASA licence. The aircraft then has to be maintained to the standard of that State.

So ask the boat Capt that you are working from and the engineer that works on the boat.

I have heard of companies just putting a new rego on for convenience that doesn't show up on a register anywhere.

marcbisbal
17th Jul 2014, 04:52
Well sometimes it can be difficult to know on which boat/helicopter you're going to work so may be the best option is to obtain the FAA PPL which will cover the most if them.

Thanks CYHeli

John Eacott
30th Jul 2014, 23:44
This footage has been recently uploaded to YouTube

uPVqGakm1gk

John8864
25th Mar 2015, 08:51
Hey everyone, I just accepted a job for Hansen helicopters a week or so back. I've read the bad and good threads and as one who likes extremes and or being in the :mad:, I'm not looking for opinions on whether or not it is a good gig or not. I just want to know what others have packed and forgot to pack. How pay worked, how going to port worked etc. thanks!!

Kamper
12th Jul 2015, 13:20
Hey mates!

I´m searching for books/blogs/written experiences or manuals related to flying and fishing the tuna in the pacific. I´m gathering all information and experiences findable in the net
before fitting the bayonet and go for the adventure...

If one of you know of some good book or blog where this operation is discussed it will be emotively appreciated if he shares it.

There it goes a link with excellent tunaboat stuff for those who want to read from the experience of a veteran tuna pilot.

View Series - Writers Harbor (http://www.writersharbor.org/series_view.php?sid=21)

Thanks and good flights to all!

Mosco_
10th Dec 2021, 17:25
Hi everyone!

I applied for a tuna pilot position posted in helijobs in September, and they answered me with some info about the job and after that they asked for my phone number.
i just wanted to know if any of you were chosen for this position, or has ever done an interview with Tropic.

Thanks!!

rotorfish
21st Jun 2022, 10:47
Tropic are still hiring. Covid has made a mess of the industry for crew leaving and joining fishing boats, but they have a fixed wing and a support vessel to get out to the fleet on the high seas. I have done two tours with Topic and one with Hansens. If you value your life dont go near Hansens. They are also operating as Pacific Spotters to hide from the FAA. They are using junked helicopters with old ex Vietnam c18 and C10 and even C 5 engines. Tropic are mostly C20 and C20B, and are using civilian 500 C and D. I had a real neat D model.
There is some press starting to come out about Hansens. They are in deep trouble. Nine persons killed and 16 seriously injured on helicopters with fake airworthiness certificates and forged data plates, and a corrupt FAA inspector about to go down with John Walker and his crony's. They are facing 100 or more felony counts. The lights are about to go out. Be warned., check the internet press, particularly in Guam
Tropic is a family business and tend to look after their crews better. Pay more as well.

George Semel
21st Jun 2022, 22:49
I am surprised this thread is still somewhat alive. I made a comment back in 2006, Gee that's over 16 years ago.

T28B
21st Jun 2022, 23:28
Notasamodnoranadmin
There is a related thread here about a tragic case of bad helicopter company management. (https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/633463-data-plate-swapper-pleads-guilty.html)
Draw your own conclusions.

rotorfish
22nd Jun 2022, 00:10
How true is this post? Time shows its absolutely 100% spot on.
In the mid 90's there were seven operators in Guam. Hansens operated relics from Vietnam with military 63-A-5 engines... not even a proper C18'. They bought them by the container load ex military scrap sales . They purchased some civilian 500's over the years, and removed the C20's and put in old 250hp dash 5 engines.
They were able to force the prices down by their shoddy operations and as a result other operators shut up shop. The same actions meant that pilots salaries were kept low. Other operators couldn't increase rates. In the mean time pilots died in Hansens death traps built from junkyard hulls . They have now been caught up with by the FAA , FBI and the Department of Justice. They have been caught out with a number of helicopters literally purchased from an Italian scrap metal dealer rebadged with false airworthiness and registrations. People have died in these flying tarted up scrap boxes.

rotorfish
12th Aug 2022, 05:57
Ha Ha Just found this. All historical now, but its a good lesson for all in placing too much credence on what is put about. Cross check what you read (including my post!)
I flew for Tropic for two years at the time of the post. They had nine helicopters at that time. They lost one due to pilot error. The usual tie down. A kiwi pilot and it was near Wewak. Cant remember his name. He was repatriated to Cairns and sent home. Tropic self insure the hull, and they have third party liability for the ship. Their workers comp is from somewhere in Australia ,as the dumb careless pilot was repatriated by the insurance company.
Hef is spot on. Its an expensive business and margins are very low, as Hansens were (and still are) operating Vietnam war relics with C10 engines and some C18 engines. and forcing the prices down, trying to drive out competition. They actually take out a C20 and sell it, putting in C18's (T62-A-700 military engines out of the US Army disposals).
I understand there were seven operators in Guam in late 1990's. Johnny Walker purchased Hansen's from Vern Hansen in about 1998, and the downhill path commenced.
One by one the long time established operators shut up shop except for three. Tropic moved out of Guam, and HeliGuam (Victor Reyes) went belly up owing pilots large salaries and unpaid bonus payments, and they rebirthed as Pesca Helicopters in Pohnpei with three helicopters. Richard Grills an Australian pilot tried to lift the boat out of the water being while still fixed to the deck matting. The end result he finished up bungy jumping over the side inside his helicopter. Victor gave up , made his second helicopter a spare parts basket and flew on for several years as his own pilot mechanic. I think on a Taiwanese boat. Probably a Winfar boat. He finally gave up competing with Hansen's K mart prices and junkyard parts and retired to open a Pizza outlet in Guam. The Hansen story is well documented in WWW.Hansen-Helicopters.com.

with his helicopter st.

Cyclic Hotline
22nd Aug 2022, 00:27
I hope they don't blow this trial, and finally get to shut these people down.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-08-16/another-fatal-crash-hansen-helo-trial-resumesAnother Fatal Crash As Hansen Helo Trial Resumesby Mark Huber (https://www.ainonline.com/mark-huber)
- August 16, 2022, 11:46 PMThe day after the Hansen Helicopter trial (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-06-13/hansen-helo-case-hovers-near-mistrial) resumed in Guam this week, a helicopter linked to the company crashed, killing the pilot and seriously injuring the two mechanics aboard. The MD 369HS, registration RP-C6911, crashed during a maintenance flight in Mabalacat, Pampanga in the Philippines Tuesday morning local time. Pilot Diosdado Lumanlan died, and mechanics Ivan Abiong and Rodley Esogen were seriously injured.

The helicopter was previously on the FAA registry and operated by an entity controlled by Hansen. The company established approximately 40 different helicopter ownership entities on the island nation tax haven of Vanuatu for its fleet of 46 aircraft, which the government labeled as “shell companies” that were part of a “fraud scheme.”

At the time of the crash, the accident helicopter was operated by Pacific Spotters, Inc., a fish-spotting company formed by senior executives of Guam-based Hansen after they and that company were investigated and ultimately indicted in 2018. Charges in the indictment consisted of multiple counts of money-laundering, fraud, bribery (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-05-26/faa-inspector-took-money-and-hookers-ignore-violations), and violation of a variety of FAA regulations including employing unlicensed pilot and mechanics, using unapproved parts, and operating unairworthy aircraft, including several assembled from parts and data plates from helicopters previously classified as destroyed. The government alleges that these practices potentially contributed to 30 helicopter accidents and nine deaths at Hansen since defendant John Walker purchased the company in 1998.

Federal prosecutors allege that Walker, acting as Hansen’s principal, and the company transferred N-registered helicopters and $5 million that Walker controlled to Pacific Spotters for the purpose of “continuing their criminal enterprise,” Marie Miller, special United States assistant attorney, alleged in Guam District Court Wednesday morning. “John Walker sold the helicopters from himself to himself to continue conducting his fraud,” she said. “He’s so bold to even still be using N-numbered helicopters even though he deregistered all of the helicopters with the FAA, claiming to the FAA, himself personally, that these helicopters were being deregistered because they were going to be exported to the Philippines and used in the Philippines. You can’t use U.S. registration numbers anymore once you do that,” Miller said, noting that as an FAA-licensed A&P mechanic with inspection authorization, Walker had to know better.

Miller revealed Tuesday’s crash while arguing a motion during the trial this morning. She said Walker and other Hansen defendants, who will be tried separately, traveled to the Philippines to manage Pacific Spotters while out on bail related to the original charges filed in Guam in 2018. Pacific Spotters’ website lists offices in both Guam and the Philippines.

The trial, which began in February, has been marked by lengthy recesses and frequent, acrimonious arguments, and objections by prosecutors and defense counsel.

Cyclic Hotline
9th Sep 2022, 16:18
https://www.kuam.com/story/47253272/helicopter-company-and-owner-found-guilty-of-defrauding-the-feds

May the punishment fit the crime!Helicopter company and owner found guilty of defrauding the fedsFriday, September 9th 2022, 6:12 PM ChST
By Nick Delgado
https://kuam.images.worldnow.com/images/23302598_G.png?auto=webp&disable=upscale&height=560&fit=bounds&lastEditedDate=1662721939000A clean sweep - guilty on all counts.

Hansen Helicopter owner John Walker was found guilty in the District Court of Guam today. The jury returned with a verdict after deliberating for less than a week.

The company and Walker are now convicted of conspiracy to defraud the federal aviation administration and the National Transportation Safety Board, four counts of aircraft parts fraud, 75 counts of employing a mechanic without a mechanic certificate, two counts of employing a pilot without a pilot’s certificate, two counts of regulation violations involving a helicopter, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, five counts of wire fraud, and six counts of money laundering.

Hasen Helicopters was also on trial and the jury found the company guilty of circumventing U.S. Aviation Safety regulations to boost its profits.

Prosecutors say the fraudulent operations and the company’s quote – love of money – led to nine deaths and more than dozens injured.

Sentencing will be held before Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood.

Cyclic Hotline
9th Sep 2022, 16:29
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-09-09/hansen-helicopters-ceo-walker-guilty-all-countsHansen Helicopters, CEO Walker Guilty on All Countsby Mark Huber (https://www.ainonline.com/mark-huber)
- September 9, 2022, 5:59 AM
https://www.ainonline.com/sites/ainonline.com/files/styles/ain30_fullwidth_large_2x/public/uploads/2022/09/60ee6b0d3cb2d.image_.jpg?itok=Afv4-Qro&timestamp=1662727445 (https://www.ainonline.com/sites/ainonline.com/files/uploads/2022/09/60ee6b0d3cb2d.image_.jpg)Crashed Hansen helicopter on tuna boat deck (Photo: U.S. Attorney's office).On Friday afternoon local time, a Guam federal district court jury found Hansen Helicopters and its CEO, John D. “Jon” Walker, guilty on all remaining 110 charged counts related to conspiracy; defrauding the FAA and the NTSB; bribery; aircraft parts fraud, causing serious bodily injury and death; falsification of aircraft registration; employing unlicensed mechanics and pilots; wire fraud; and money laundering.

Sentencing is scheduled for December 8, and a motion will be heard on Monday as to whether to remand Walker into custody. He has been free on bail since being initially charged in May 2018 and potentially faces life in prison.

Additionally, the government is seeking forfeiture of all of Hansen’s and Walker’s assets related to what it charged is $400 million worth of fraud tied to the convictions.
https://www.ainonline.com/sites/ainonline.com/files/styles/ain30_fullwidth_large/public/1452031_10201110510780699_839415111_n.jpg?itok=tFBEcFrD

Walker purchased Hansen, based in Harmon, Guam, in 1998 after working for the company as a pilot, mechanic, and director of operations. He then grew the company to a fleet of 48 helicopters. The company provided fish spotting helicopters, mainly vintage Hughes 369/OH-6A models, along with pilots and mechanics, to tuna boats in the Western Pacific on contracts that ran $40,000 per month per helicopter, with gross receipts of over $20 million annually.

Virtually all of the profits went to Walker, who used them in part to finance his pursuit of nationally-ranked, off-road racing and acquire a fleet of eclectic personal aircraft based in Missouri, where he lived on a 5,000-acre farm. His personal aircraft included an Extra 300L, Beechcraft D17S Staggerwing, Stemme S10-VT motorglider, Beechcraft E90 King Air, North American T-28B, Aviat A-1B, Highlander, Piper J3C-65, and Bell 47D1.

The trial of Hansen, tried as an entity, and Walker, tried as an individual, were severed from that of other senior Hansen executives and suppliers. Proceedings began in February with a trial that was expected to last just three weeks but instead languished on a stop-and-start basis for eight months.

Walker’s local attorney died before the trial. Defendant Marvin Reed, Hansen’s executive v-p, turned state’s evidence in exchange for immunity. Reed is seriously ill, as are defendants Phillip “Turner” Kapp, Hansen’s former director of maintenance, and Randall Rogers, who ran Vanguard Aviation in Valdosta, Georgia.

Rogers and his company are charged with a variety of offenses related to the assemblage of what federal prosecutors called “Frankenstein helicopters”—aircraft for Hansen that were previously classified as destroyed and later rebuilt via data-plate swapping and other illegal means. Rogers recently entered hospice care.

Charges against another defendant, Frank F. Litkei Sr., were dismissed in 2021 after he died. Litkei’s company, Spares Inc., a machine shop based in Oregon, provided Hansen, at its direction, with unapproved tail rotor pitch change link assemblies that were tied to several crashes. Last week, during a status hearing, the court was attempting to discover if Spares Inc. remained a going concern.

The sentencing of former FAA aircraft inspector Timothy Cislo is expected later this year. Cislo pleaded guilty to three counts of honest services fraud in 2018 related to receiving bribes from Hansen. While he could face up to 20 years imprisonment and $750,000 in fines, he is expected to receive leniency in exchange for his testimony.

During the trial, Cislo testified that he received “money and hookers,” as well as a vintage Taylorcraft airplane, from the company in exchange for falsifying airworthiness certificates for its helicopters. In subsequent testimony, former NTSB accident investigator Jeff Guzzetti said he believed that most of Hansen’s fleet was “not airworthy.”

Attorneys for Hansen and Walker opted not to put on a defense, but rather to punch holes in the prosecution’s evidence. But there was simply too much evidence, including volumes of highly incriminating e-mails between Hansen executives detailing Cislo's bribery and referring to FAA inspectors as "donkeys."

In her closing argument to the jury, lead prosecutor Marie Miller said, “This case is about one thing. It’s about greed. It’s about people who put profit over other people. It’s about people who violated the law repeatedly, knowingly, intentionally. And without any regret.”

Cyclic Hotline
13th Sep 2022, 11:27
https://www.postguam.com/news/hansen-owner-president-confined/article_0384750e-3256-11ed-a09e-4b4a5a2c5266.htmlHansen owner, president confined

Shane Tenorio Healy | The Guam Daily Post (https://www.postguam.com/users/profile/Shane%20Healy)
23 hrs ago

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/postguam.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/38/b381c356-3262-11ed-a40c-530a5b8830a7/631af42691bab.image.jpg?resize=333%2C500
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/postguam.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/38/b381c356-3262-11ed-a40c-530a5b8830a7/631af42691bab.image.jpg?resize=200%2C300GUILTY: John Walker was remanded to the custody of the U.S. Marshals following his conviction on fraud-related charges. Walker walks into the United States District Court of Guam prior to the reading of his verdict Sept. 9, 2022 in Hagåtña. Norman M. Taruc/The Guam Daily Post
Hansen Helicopters president and owner John Walker was ordered to be taken into custody as he waits to be sentenced for defrauding the federal government.

After Walker was found guilty of nearly 100 fraud-related charges last week, prosecutors asked Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood that he be confined on Monday.

For the past four years since Walker and several Hansen Helicopter executives were indicted on the fraud charges, Walker was out on release.

Before Tydingco-Gatewood decided Walker would be immediately remanded, Assistant U.S. Attorney Marie Miller argued Walker had been continuing his fraudulent operations of Hansen Helicopters.

Miller in particular cited a helicopter crash that occurred in the Philippines last month.

"We saw that on Aug.16 there was yet another accident and another death and we know that particular aircraft belonged to Mr. Walker," said Miller.

According to Post files, Walker was accused of knowingly using uncertified and previously destroyed helicopters as part of Hansen's operations to defraud the federal government.

Court documents state nine people died as a result of Hansen Helicopter crashes.

Miller further argued because Walker has now been convicted on the charges it would give him more of a reason to be a flight risk.

Walker's attorney Mack Martin opposed his client's confinement, arguing there was no evidence Walker was responsible for the crash, an argument he previously used when he asked the court for a mistrial.

"There was an accident that occurred on Aug. 16, 2022. No one, not Ms. Miller, no one knows what caused that accident. The government has jumped to the conclusion that Mr. Walker is somehow responsible for that and that's the position they've taken all along," Martin said.

In addition, Martin said since the prosecution used not only the crash but other improperly submitted evidence at trial, Walker's conviction could be reversed and added it as a reason he should remain released.

"Those are substantial issues that I submit the (9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals) will look very seriously at and if they decide those are the issues that should be decided in this case in favor of Mr. Walker, it will result a reversal and a new trial," said Martin who also highlighted Walker's good behavior on pre-trial release for the past four years.

After taking several hours on Monday to consider the issue, Tydingco-Gatewood came back in the afternoon to decide Walker be remanded immediately.

Walker will be confined until his sentencing on Dec. 8.

Walker is facing life imprisonment for the charges.

nuha
25th Oct 2022, 13:25
Cool much obliged, truly apreciate your feedback, that is in every case great to get any advices!

So gratitude for that and have a decent one

gg17
4th Nov 2022, 11:04
Much of this article has already been mentioned above, but interesting reading nonetheless:
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-11-01/hansen-helicopters-highway-hell

Cyclic Hotline
26th Apr 2023, 15:29
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2023-04-20/government-jailed-walker-continues-run-hansen-helicoptersGovernment: Jailed Walker Continues To Run Hansen Helicoptersby Mark Huber (https://www.ainonline.com/mark-huber)
- April 20, 2023, 12:52 PM
https://www.ainonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/ain30_fullwidth_large_2x/public/uploads/2023/04/1452031_10201110510780699_839415111_n.jpg?itok=js3Z0uG6&timestamp=1682018297 (https://www.ainonline.com/sites/default/files/uploads/2023/04/1452031_10201110510780699_839415111_n.jpg)
Hansen Helicopters CEO John Walker.Hansen Helicopters CEO John Walker is continuing to run his criminal enterprise from behind bars via straw men and alter-ego corporations, alleges a civil suit filed earlier this month by the U.S. government. The suit seeks to enjoin Hansen and Walker from what amounts to the furtherance of a criminal enterprise.

On Sept. 9, 2022, a Guam federal district court jury found Hansen Helicopters and Walker guilty on some 100 counts (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-09-09/hansen-helicopters-ceo-walker-guilty-all-counts) related to conspiracy; defrauding the FAA and the NTSB; bribery (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-05-26/faa-inspector-took-money-and-hookers-ignore-violations); aircraft parts fraud, causing serious bodily injury and death; falsification of aircraft registration; employing unlicensed mechanics and pilots; wire fraud; and money laundering. Hansen operated a fleet of 48 Hughes 369-series turbine single helicopters used aboard tuna spotting boats in the Western Pacific. The government is seeking forfeiture of all of Hansen’s and Walker’s assets related to what it charged is $400 million worth of fraud tied to the convictions.

Walker has been incarcerated (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2022-09-12/hansen-ceo-walker-remanded-custody) since Sept. 12, 2022, and is awaiting sentencing (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2023-02-27/sentencing-delayed-hansen-helicopters-case); however, that proceeding has been delayed pending the resolution of motions for judgment of acquittal, a new trial, and supplements to a pending motion for mistrial. For these matters to move forward, the defense needs a trial transcript. The court notes that the transcripts will not be available until October “as the court reporter is currently overburdened with pending trials and appeals.”

In the new civil suit, the government seeks to end Hansen’s operations and enjoin both it and Walker from “leasing, reselling, or allowing his helicopters, or their parts, or those helicopters, or parts by alter egos, to be operated, installed, registered, deregistered, reregistered, or otherwise used in any way pending a final determination in this case.” The government alleges that, following Hansen’s initial indictment in 2018, the company and Walker moved to transfer helicopters and operations to a variety of offshore “shell” corporations, including Pacific Spotters in the Philippines.

During the closing days of Hansen and Walker’s conjoined 2022 criminal trial, a helicopter registered to Pacific.Spotters crashed (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-08-16/another-fatal-crash-hansen-helo-trial-resumes) on a maintenance flight, killing the pilot. The government maintains that death and nine others (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-08-24/investigator-hansen-helicopters-fleet-not-airworthy) directly resulted from Hansen’s illegal practices. As part of the civil filing, the government maintains, “Despite the blood already on their hands, Walker’s alter-ego corporations, coconspirators, agents, employees, and nominees continue to conduct the enterprise in violation of federal law. This action seeks to put an end to this enterprise; its flagrant, continued violation of safety regulations; and the risk it poses to human life.”

In related proceedings, Spares—an Oregon company that allegedly provided Hansen with a variety of unapproved parts over two decades, including defective tail rotor pitch change links—pleaded guilty earlier today to multiple counts of aircraft parts fraud, charges that carry up to a $10 million fine, as well as a “special penalty assessment.” In remarks before the court, prosecutor Marie Miller said the pitch change links failed on “numerous” Hansen helicopters that resulted in at least one death.

“The evidence also showed that Hansen never purchased a legitimate tail rotor pitch change link from any other company,” that “pilots and mechanics were required to jerry-rig the tail rotor pitch change links to make them work because they didn't work because they were not made to the proper specifications,” and that “foreign material was used to hold the part together while the helicopter was operating.”

Charges against Spares’ CEO Frank Litkei Sr. were dropped after he suffered a stroke and later died in 2021. The government alleges that Spares made $945,000 selling the pitch change links to Hansen. In court proceedings earlier this year, Litkei’s widow, Christine Litkei, maintained that neither her late husband’s estate nor his company, have any significant assets—a charge vigorously contested by prosecutors.

During a status hearing earlier this year, prosecutors alleged that Christine Litkei transferred six-figure amounts from Spares into her own account via a company she called “Christine Consulting” shortly before and after Spares was initially indicted, that her late husband’s estate is worth well over $1 million, and that Spares’ assets could be worth as much as $1.5 million. Prosecutor Marie Miller accused Litkei of using Spares’ assets as her “personal piggy bank” and claimed that she had made “intentional misrepresentations” to the government and the court.

“She’s been jerking us around for months,” said Miller. “She’s trying to commit a fraud on this court.”

Appearing on behalf of Spares yesterday, Christine Litkei maintained that Spares was dissolved but stated that she was prepared to personally onboard at least some of the liability associated with the company’s guilty plea. Sentencing is pending.

Cyclic Hotline
7th Nov 2023, 14:50
https://helicopters.gg/2023/11/07/pilots-appeal-leads-to-dismissal-of-charges-in-guam-helicopter-safety-case/Pilot’s Appeal Leads to Dismissal of Charges in Guam Helicopter Safety Case (https://helicopters.gg/2023/11/07/pilots-appeal-leads-to-dismissal-of-charges-in-guam-helicopter-safety-case/) ByHutch Maiava (https://helicopters.gg/author/user1/) NOVEMBER 7, 2023
https://helicopters.gg/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/mfrack_realistic_photo_of_helicopter_1bfce969-71df-48b1-a19a-d71640dadb9e.jpeg (https://helicopters.gg/2023/11/07/pilots-appeal-leads-to-dismissal-of-charges-in-guam-helicopter-safety-case/)A pilot at Guam-based Hansen Helicopters has successfully appealed his indictment for allegedly conspiring to deceive federal authorities regarding the safety of the company’s aircraft. The Ninth Circuit court ruled on Monday that the charges against Kenneth Rufus Crowe, the director of operations at Hansen Helicopters, should be dismissed following a mistrial.

In cases where a mistrial is declared and the jury fails to reach a verdict, a defendant may only be retried if they consented to the dismissal or if dismissal was deemed “required by manifest necessity.” The court determined that neither of these conditions were met.

Prosecutors had accused Crowe and his purported co-conspirators of leasing helicopters that did not meet the safety standards set by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). This alleged deception posed a potential risk to the safety of those who used Hansen Helicopters’ services.

With the dismissal of the charges, Crowe is now free from the legal consequences he had been facing. This decision emphasizes the importance of ensuring the validity and accuracy of information provided to regulatory authorities in the aviation industry.

The case of Kenneth Rufus Crowe highlights the complexities and challenges faced by pilots and aviation companies when it comes to adhering to strict safety regulations. The incident serves as a reminder that maintaining the highest standards of safety is paramount in the aviation industry, given the potential risks involved.
Frequently Asked Questions1. What does it mean when a mistrial is declared?When a mistrial is declared, it means that the court proceedings have been terminated before a final verdict is reached due to various reasons such as a procedural error, juror misconduct, or a hung jury (unable to reach a unanimous decision).
2. Why were the charges against Kenneth Rufus Crowe dismissed?The charges against Kenneth Rufus Crowe were dismissed because the Ninth Circuit court determined that neither the defendant consented to the dismissal nor was the dismissal “required by manifest necessity,” as required by law in order to proceed with a retrial.
3. How important is safety compliance in the aviation industry?Safety compliance is of utmost importance in the aviation industry as it directly impacts the well-being of passengers and personnel involved in air transport. Stricter regulations and adherence to safety standards help mitigate potential risks and ensure a safe and secure aviation environment.
4. Are there any specific regulations that govern helicopter safety?In the United States, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) sets specific regulations and guidelines for helicopter safety. These regulations cover various aspects such as maintenance, training, operations, and equipment requirements to ensure the safe operation of helicopters.

Cyclic Hotline
17th Nov 2023, 15:34
But they still got the Director of Maintenance. https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2023-11-16/hansen-helicopters-mx-director-pleads-guilty

Hansen Helicopters Mx Director Pleads Guilty

Phillip Kapp faced multiple charges including defrauding the FAA and NTSBhttps://www.ainonline.com/cdn-cgi/image/width=3840,format=webp,quality=95/https://backend.ainonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/fpsc_1200x630/public/uploads/2022/09/hansen.jpg?h=407c8986&itok=5j1rjYIFHansen Helicopters CEO John Walker was convicted Friday on more than 100 counts related to fraud, bribery, and money-laundering related to his Guam-based helicopter operation. A number of accidents have been associated with that operation. (Photo: U.S. Attorney's office).

By MARK HUBER (https://www.ainonline.com/author/mark-huber) • Contributor - Rotorcraft
November 16, 2023Hansen Helicopters director of maintenance Phillip “Turner” Kapp has pled guilty to defrauding the FAA and the NTSB. Kapp was facing multiple charges relating to illegal activities conducted by the Guam-based tuna spotting company.

The company and its CEO, John Walker, were found guilty last year (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-09-09/hansen-helicopters-ceo-walker-guilty-all-counts) on more than 100 charges relating to bribery, money laundering, hiring of unlicensed pilots and mechanics, use of unapproved parts, and data plate swapping to create what the prosecution termed “Frankenstein helicopters” from wrecked aircraft. The government charged that these practices were behind $400 million worth of fraud and, in part, responsible for up to nine deaths due to helicopter accidents over two decades.

Kapp originally was due to stand trial with Hansen as an entity and Walker as an individual, but Kapp requested that his case be severed while he was dealing with a significant medical issue. During the trial of Walker and Hansen, the prosecution produced voluminous e-mails from and to Kapp that clearly showed him to be an active participant in a widespread fraud scheme that included falsification of aircraft maintenance records and obstructing NTSB investigations.

Other defendants in the case included Hansen chief pilot Kenneth “Rufus” Crowe, Marvin Reed (Hansen’s vice president of operations), and two suppliers—Oregon-based Spares Inc. and Vanguard Aviation of Valdosta, Georgia. Spares pleaded guilty and agreed to a substantial forfeiture earlier this year, and the case against Crowe was dismissed on a technicality by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. The case against Vanguard likely will not go to trial since its CEO is ill. The sentencing of Walker and Hansen is pending. Kapp's sentencing is scheduled for February.

rotorfish
17th Mar 2024, 03:49
According to the various newspaper reports there has been about 15 pilots killed while working for Hansen's. I can only identify one pilot by name. Rafael Santos Cruz. An El Salvadorian pilot, ex military, and a highly skilled pilot, and a highly regarded in the industry.

Court minutes refer evidence placed before the court , "........Email dated 09/07/2015 from Crowe to Snaer re: Cost of Rafael Antonio Cruz Santos' funeral and Crowe "thought we were getting off cheap." (Prozik).........".

Peter Prozik was the FBI agent who carried out the search warrant that disclosed the gold mine of information in Hansen's own computers. Basically they were convicted on their own evidence. Rafael's helicopter crashed due to the failure of a bogus tail rotor pitch link, which was conceded in court.. The fact that they were so proud that they shafted the family with a token payment that seemed generous at the time to the family in an impoverished Central American economy, and then went print boasting about it, pretty much supports the prosecutions position that it was profit and greed that drove John Walker and his crony's into making millions at the expense of safety and compliance.

A couple of us know of him from Ft Rucker. We are in the process of giving some support to his family. We would welcome any information as any of the other deaths (or serious injuries) from other Hansen accidents that has been reported. Names, approximate dates or any details would be of use. It might be that there is a possibility of a class action against all of the defendants to get proper compensation for the those affected. We have a pro bono law firm that might be willing to take it on. We just need to do the homework for them to have alook at the big picture. We also need to act on it before the government grabs all the cash.