PDA

View Full Version : Request for help

opnot
9th Sep 2005, 19:38
I am a Manchester (EGCC) Atco looking for some help from the flt deck.
A friend of my son disappered in Crete on the 31 Aug whilst on holiday with friends and has not been heard of since. If you are flying to Crete I would be most grateful if you could make a PA announcement drawing peoples attention to this and if they either hear anything about him or his name mentioned could they contact the local police.
Name Stephen Cook
Age 20
From Sandbach Cheshire UK
Staying Malia Crete
Big Liverpool fan
I know these annoucements are discretionary but any help would be appreciated by lots of people

NigelOnDraft
9th Sep 2005, 21:34
opnot...

Whilst I would never doubt your well meaning message, I would be reluctant to make such PAs on the basis of a pPrune post.

If you could add an authoritative source e.g. a Police tel number, that an individual, or better company, could contact, I believe the changes of such PAs being made would increase...

HTH
NoD

unwiseowl
9th Sep 2005, 21:49
NoD is right - it would be better to approach the airlines direct, as they can be very fussy about what is said on the PA.

john8b
9th Sep 2005, 23:07
To verify the story, have a look at;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4228322.stm

ILS 119.5
9th Sep 2005, 23:48
I will help and further your cause as best I can. No promises, but will do my best. Unfortunately it seems thatn in this day and age more people are concerned with self preservation rather than caring for other people and I feel sorry for the guilty. Humanity was once part of life.

DownIn3Green
9th Sep 2005, 23:53
I agree with NOD...If I had verification of the story, I would make every effort to help, especially if I were working for an airline flying holiday-makers to and from Crete...

I also agree that some companies can be a bit "stuffed shirtish" when it comes to general P.A.'s, but in my opinion, it is my judgement what to say on the P.A. and when and how to do it....

Having said that...good luck and I hope all Ppruner Captains who are in the position to help out will...

Remember the Natalie Holloway case in Aruba.....

ILS 119.5
10th Sep 2005, 00:22
To be truthfull nobody cares what you say on the PA, unless you stress the importance of the matter and make a point. I have been told in the past how I should announce myself and say things, however after many years of experience I feel I know better, and if somebody ,anyone, needs help then I will try to give them help from whatever means necessary.

Rolling-Thunderbird
10th Sep 2005, 01:06
You might want to post over at this web-site, as it is suited for just such an incident.

http://websleuths.com/forums/index.php?

Good Luck, and I hope it turns out OK for him.

NigelOnDraft
10th Sep 2005, 06:18
119.5 Unfortunately it seems thatn in this day and age more people are concerned with self preservation rather than caring for other people and I feel sorry for the guilty. Humanity was once part of life My concern was not as much "self preservation" (i.e. my career), but not wanting to get involved in a potential hoax... there have countless numbers of these, including heartfelt stories on the BB.

The link to the BBC News article provided would probably be good enough for me as verification... But an approach via the PR department of an airline might work wonders... The airline gets positive some PR, all crews have notes dropped asking for PAs to be made etc.

HTH
NoD

opnot
10th Sep 2005, 09:16
Nigel on draft
I have made this request to the ops departments of the major airlines at Manchester with a positive response from all of them.
I use this forum, as I would like to reach a wider range of companies through out Europe.
As I said in my original posting, I understand that any request for PA is purely discretionary

SilsoeSid
10th Sep 2005, 18:56
Sorry to hear about your sons friend opnot.

I'll put a link to here on the Military Aircrew thread which might help awareness out there.

SS