PDA

View Full Version : Sarky PA announcement

MagnusP
9th Sep 2005, 18:56
Had to laugh this evening when the FA on landing in EDI said "Good evening ladies and gentlemen. The time is 17:42 and you're very welcome to Edinburgh." Bloody southerner. :D

MarkD
9th Sep 2005, 20:53
wha?

read this a couple of times and don't get it.

CosmosSchwartz
10th Sep 2005, 00:00
You're welcome to Edinburgh, as in take it.:

"Can I have the last cake?"
"I hate cakes, you're welcome to it"

At least I think that's what MP is getting at. Had to read it a few times myself!

Farmer 1
10th Sep 2005, 08:51
"Welcome to Edinburgh," means just what it says.

"This is Edinburgh and you're welcome to it," means something like, "You take it, I don't want it."

It's a sort of British joke. I say the same myself sometimes, but Edinburgh is possibly the last place I would say it, especially if it were a good bet most of my pax were Scottish. That would be deeply insulting. Edinburgh is a beautiful city.

Mind you, if the announcement is quoted word for word, it is arguable it could have either meaning.

apaddyinuk
10th Sep 2005, 12:06
Funny that, as most "southerners" I know who have ever been to EDI say they love it!!!

Pax Vobiscum
10th Sep 2005, 13:35
Or, of course, the traditional "Welcome to Norwich, where the local time is 1975". With apologies to all our East Anglian readers ...

MagnusP
11th Sep 2005, 10:08
I was in 1C, we'd been enjoying a bit of banter during the flight and the FA had a huge grin on his face when he said it - he meant "you can keep it".

I remember one passenger flying to EDI for a rugby international turning to one of the ah, more mature FAs and saying "Well that was a bit bumpy; bet you'll be glad to get all four feet back on the ground". Ouch.

Globaliser
11th Sep 2005, 14:03
Just like the big poster ad that the new town of Milton Keynes used to have near Clapham Junction station, through which huge numbers of Londoners commute every day in conditions which would be illegal to transport animals:- "You're very welcome to London."

MarkD
11th Sep 2005, 22:45
can't parse inflection. If PA had said "As for edi you're welcome to it" all would be clear.

pax britanica
15th Sep 2005, 12:19
A bit harsh and perhaps hearing want you expected to hear about the Edinburgh remark-a great place lousy weather tho.

Did it occur to you that the Cabin Crew memebr may not have had English as a first language-the case with many BA CC nowadays and a welcome development for a global airline. For non native speakers, even those who are really fluent in English it is full of all kinds of traps and pitfalls having no proper logival structure and while a word in the 'wrong place- You are welcome to Edi not Welcome to Edi can be interpretted as sarcasm it is a harsh judgment.

Of course the Cabin Crew can be judgemental as I found out on SAS to Arlanda some years ago when we made an uncharactersitic for SAS and MD80 thumping touch down. The senior cabin crew member announced 'Ladies and Gentlemen as you may have noticed we have landed in Stockholm'-and I am sure she knew what she was saying.
PB

Trislander
16th Sep 2005, 09:54
Pax vobiscum,

Love that Norwich one!

:D :D :D