PDA

View Full Version : Should FW pilots fill rotary slots

Thomas coupling
18th Jan 2001, 19:08
I've started this thread because of a suggestion by 'Eden' that this deserves a topic all of its own. Before I get stuck in, I wish to qualify my rantings by making it quite clear that I am only speaking from within the emergency services industry. If there is a comparable state of affairs elsewhere within the commercial world then let others make their views known, I could not comment on it. My other qualifier is that I bear absolutely no sleight on my FW colleagues whatsoever. Each to their own.
Our dept has personal experience of this and I also know for a fact that other units have experienced the same.
My argument may no doubt be flawed (as someone will comment on), but this is a talking shop and we are all in this together, so what the hell....
My understanding of it all is that a pilot who goes to the trouble of obtaining a FW ATPL, has gone thru considerable blood, sweat and tears to obtain such. Not to mention the tens of thousands of pounds in costs. It is therefore my assumption that they will want to use it in anger sooner rather than later. Now if that pilot also has an ATPL(H)[which 98% of all emergency services pilots have, as opposed to a CPL], then more power to their elbow...BUT...why use it as a primary means to obtain a flying job when they know that a FW slot could (on average) offer them more of what they are looking for [more money, more money, easy flying, more money, seeing the world, more money]. The only reasonable answer to that might be: I want to dabble in helo's first because this type of flying interests me, and then I'll move on to my long term career with an airline! What would be the point of applying for a FW licence if you aren't going to do that?
Secondly, there is the older FW jock who decides that commercial FW flying is not for them anymore, maybe because they don't get home every night, or the flying is downright boring, etc. But they went out and tried it for a few years and now want a bit of the helo action. Fine, just fine, that's their perogative. They worked hard for 2 licences, so why not use them. So they join our merry band of operators and decide to stay, or worse still realise perhaps, it's not for them and move out again! [I don't know too many FW jocks who have come back to helo ops].
These two scenarios set the scene for what then affects those of us already within the industry. Those of us who want better T's and C's and apply pressure to our employers at every twist and turn to produce excellent contracts for the loyal helo pilot.
Every time a helo pilot moves out of the rotary world and away into the FW world, it destabilises what has already been achieved. For instance, why develop a contract based on loyalty and trust, for the long term, when 'x' years down the line that pilot with FW quals hands in their notice? What's the point. They would rather redefine the contract on a short term basis because it more readily caters for the transient pilot. A rotary pilot happy with their employers does not become a transient pilot (except for a more obvious and personal reason for moving jobs).
During the interview, what are you going to tell your prospective employer when they ask you what is the purpose of your ATPL(A)? If you were honest you would tell them that in due course, sometime in the future you may consider crossing the line to fly FW. If you were a little less honest then you would hide the fact that you even had an ATPL(A)!
How is that employer to respond to this? What incentive do they have to support activities within the industry to raise the conditions of employment for helo drivers so that they are then comparable to those experienced in the FW world(in general!)?
Everytime one FW leaves another 'rookie' joins the industry, glad to be offered the job and the employer might see this as their opportunity to peg back the T's and C's that the predecessor enjoyed. You (the FW pilot) are not doing us any favours when you do this. I have been very active in preparing pilot contracts and I am constantly reminded of this anomaly (along with other issues, it has to be said) by my employers.
Please don't get me wrong. I don't begrudge the pilot who wishes to dual qualify (in fact there are a minor number of slots where both ratings are needed). I don't begrudge the fact that their transition from one side to the other (whichever way) is done to improve their personal lot...BUT they must realise that this activity does not help those of us who are striving to ensure comfortable employment practices here within the emergency services industry for those who wish to stay within that industry.

Rant over...commence firing!
http://www.gograph.com/Images-7298/AnimatedGif/redstar.gif
------------------
Thermal runaway.

[This message has been edited by Thomas coupling (edited 18 January 2001).]

captaincrack
18th Jan 2001, 22:36
This could be conceived as the root of all the problems that abound in trying to get a job as a commercial helo pilot.

From my point of view it is frustrating - I am helo through and through and would not entertain the thought of going FW. So when I see the company I work for using freelance helo pilots whose day job is at the sharp end of a 737 I get a little frustrated.

Not only is it pay, Ts and Cs that suffer - the next generation of commercial helo pilots are not getting a bite at the cherry.

As an aside, do the FW employers of these freelance pilots know that they are doing rotary time in their time off? I'm sure they'd be extactic if their company's name appeared in the headlines if one their pilots were to involved in an incident whilst in charge of a helo. (I know that is very extreme, but, I'm sure it's a risk that some company directors would rather not take)

eden
19th Jan 2001, 02:37
Thomas C - by way of context let's re-visit your initial comment on the hijacked thread 'Pay and benefits'.."....How does one improve the situation? The helo world (UK)is notorious for lack of unionisation, or co-ordinated efforts to attain a fraction of that enjoyed by our FW brothers. Perhaps it is because there are too few of us. My first suggestion would be to prevent anyone with a FW rating from filling a helo vacancy. After all, why have a FW qual if you are not going to use it in anger at some stage. This means he/she will move on when it suits them, leaving the employer with the usual headache: where do they get the next one from and are they going to suffer the same again. A transient workforce doesn't engender loyalty and decent T and C, does it?"...... First impressions after reading an opinion like that is that you have a dangerous prejudice of RW/FW qualled aviators - end of story.

Your primary concern appears to be that FW pilots cause RW pilots to suffer! if they participate in any form of professional RW flying activity. Salaries, terms and conditions, benefits (such as medical ins, loss of licence, PHI, etc) are not the right of any pilot workforce, but a product of company heirarchal policy based on management, commercial, employee market awareness and at times good sense.

In this thread your words have moderated and I am glad you have deemed that dual rated pilots have a role to play.

I feel you may be hitting just wide of the mark. I don't think the problem lies with what particular brand of aviator is employed. I believe, it is the industry within which all pilots work in. Moreover, it will apply to airops - such as emergency services, shore based (seasonal) charter and offshore helo ops. The end customer wants his asset for the best price he can get. If the customer can find the product cheaper elsewhere he will follow that lead.

Ultimately, the areas that get hit are the T & C's of all pilots. A collective effort is required by all RW operations to engender a greater sense of value for all personnel and equipment assets across all markets and institutions that contract your services.

Much of the damage has been done by companies exacting tighter financial margins in order to grab a contract and this will continue to be the case.

If a RW pilot moves on to FW flying it's not a problem, unless he is in breach of his contract or some other deadly sin. It's an employers opportunity, to find the right person for the post. It's an opportunity for the pilot to try something different - he's a pilot he wants to do something new. Indeed - FW pilots move from company to company and they are all looking for something different. Such actions are human nature and a matter of personal choice.

Thomas C - to point the finger at pilots is missing the point, I think the RW world needs to look at the customers and educate them to understand true worth and value.

I believe the climate can and will change, It may take some time, but you can only maintain a stranglehold for so long before the boys and gals need a breath of air.

Thomas coupling
19th Jan 2001, 03:15
Sorry, Eden, you haven't convinced me. You've served to remind me that indeed, the customer is looking for loyal pilots. Loyalty is where the heart is...and in this particular instance (where a pilot has only an ATPL(H)), that'll be the rotary world. Our customers (employers) appreciate that above all else.
I suspect reading your thread over again, that you are not from the emergency services fraternity....correct? A helo operator running on a shoe string, I suspect, doesn't give two hoots where the driver comes from, nor where he goes...T's and C's don't enter their vocabulary!
Safe flying

------------------
Thermal runaway.

eden
19th Jan 2001, 04:23
I assume from your response that much of your prejudice is derived from personal experience and misfortune. You assume too much.....and my background is of no relevance. However, you are wrong in this regard.

I think you will be obliged to continue with the existence of all brands of pilot and should you continue to enjoy the need to differentiate them by licence. The very people you seek to protect will be the worse off for it.

before landing check list
19th Jan 2001, 05:27
Good question there. I for one "moved" over per se because several factors, mainly pay and job satisfaction. I have dual ATP's and also a CFII helo with 2/3 of my 7000 hours in the helo. I started life as a military helo pilot(much cheaper) got my ratings and over the years could not figure out why helo pilots (at least here in the States) are overall treated like red-headed step children. Seemed like the starting pay for a helo driver across the board mayhave been a little higher(more fore contract) but was quicly overshadowed pay wise and respect wise by the FW driver, don't know why that is. And I maintain OVERALL that one is not more difficult to fly then the other, each has is "special" times when you had better have your "act" together. I am know in a DC8 and a C12 (B200) for the Guard. Do I miss it? Damn right I do. I still consider myself a helo pilot 1st and would like to start teaching again to keep my hand in.
j

------------------
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking.
If you cheat, may you cheat death.
If you steal, may you steal a woman's heart.
If you fight, may you fight for a brother.
And if you drink, may you drink with me.

[This message has been edited by before landing check list (edited 19 January 2001).]

john du'pruyting
19th Jan 2001, 19:04
TC, no they shouldn't. Unfortunately, it's a free country and we can't stop them ( and for short term work we can't blame the employers for taking the cheap option).
We are both in one of the most enjoyable jobs in aviation and that ultimately, is always going to be our problem, there will always be a queue of pilots waiting to do our job. Hence, I do not think there is a shortage of pilots in emergency services aviation (unfortunately). This means that the laws of supply and demand are unlikely to work in our favour as we strive for better pay. Perhaps we need to implement plan 2! all right boyo!

------------------
marmalade, I like marmalade

PurplePitot
20th Jan 2001, 13:21
TC, I suspect that you, like 99% of all other police pilots have little or no commercial helicopter experience having left the military to directly join an 'aviation service provider' to the police.

If you did have some commercial experience you would realise what a benefit freelancers can be to any onshore helicopter company operating for profit. It allows a company to take on the much needed business throughout the very busy summer months without worrying about how they are going to pay the extra pilots throughout the bleak winter months. Quite often these freelancers will be fixed wing flyers but it is a mistake to assume they are taking someone else’s job as that job does not exist and never will. In short, freelancers from any walk of life help keep the current commercial helicopter pilots in employment.

eden
24th Jan 2001, 17:46
Sorry - just can't let this go .....I really think there is room for a more moderate stance on this subject TC.... you are touting loyalty to the customer when we live in a world run by the pound or dollar. Loyalty is a 2 way process and unfortunately, loyalty is 2nd string to the financial agenda and employees will always come second when the bean counters get the audit sheet out. If you think this isn't the case you are in even more danger of upsetting your loyal pilots as time goes by and the purse strings become stretched from time to time.

MBJ
25th Jan 2001, 22:41
Confused, over.
Where are the FW pilots who take our jobs? A few freelancers in the summer perhaps which as PurplePitot says helps Companies stay in biz.

What does grip me by the delicate bits is the retired military RW pilots who are on a pension and so prepared to work for the 32-34K that the emergency service operators will pay. Unfortunately that's life and I hope that supply dries up real soon. Supply and Demand is the name of the game now and ever will be.

You certainly can't blame commercial companies for paying as little as they feel they can get away with.

If the wretched North Sea operators had the clout to insist on decent rates up there it would have a beneficial effect on aircrew throughout the industry. (Provided the benefits flowed down to the troops, though that's another argument)

PurplePitot
26th Jan 2001, 02:13
Can I take it then MBJ that you donate your pension to charity........

Nice to see you back by the way, been anywhere nice.....

MBJ
26th Jan 2001, 03:05
Pension? I wish! Then I wouldn't have to work so hard! No, I've been around but wasn't feeling talkative. This freelancing thing is fun, on the whole!

ShyTorque
26th Jan 2001, 08:55
MBJ,

The terms and conditions offered by emergency services operators are below justifiable rates, I agree. But why should another pilot taking the only job he can get on leaving the services upset you?

I think you perhaps meant to say "I object to other pilots having a pension and still working because I don't have one".

MBJ
26th Jan 2001, 12:09
ShyTorque

You are quite right - I'm only jealous really!

Thomas coupling
26th Jan 2001, 20:24
Purple pilot: read my thread carefully, you will then realise that I took the time to qualify my comments to within the emergency services, where politics are different from the cut throat world of 'the commercial world'. You are also incorrect regarding my commercial experience.
PPPPPPP do you think you can get that one right!!!

------------------
Thermal runaway.

eden
26th Jan 2001, 20:36
Instead of crying la la to all those that criticise TC - why don't you respond with substance. You deemed it appropriate to assume my origin and flying background don't be too afronted if people slap a marker on you. Like ya graffic! Answer the threads!
And stop complaining !

PurplePitot
26th Jan 2001, 22:55
Well that certainly told me......... My eyes glazed over when I saw the length of your original post but since your subsequent comment refer to your original first sentence I suppose I should have at least digested that much. Oh Well......

john du'pruyting
27th Jan 2001, 01:29
All this discussion may be academic anyway, The mil pilots forum has a number of threads that suggest plenty of Army RW pilots will be vacating the green machine and looking for jobs outside. As Police / EMS is the most popular option for most ex-mil RW pilots I guess that will suppress rates for the near future. Thank goodness I like the job!

------------------
marmalade, I like marmalade

Thomas coupling
27th Jan 2001, 16:40
Eden: I see you left the 'mil' in '96. Was it the FAA, what sqdn/ Do I know u????

Ask me a specific Q re this subject and I'll be happy to respond. I thought I had done so ....the majority, it seems, agree with the thread.

What r u flying at the mo'?

------------------
Thermal runaway.

eden
27th Jan 2001, 17:58
If you're ex-FAA then we probably know each other.

I fly both FW and RW. I'd be happy to go into past dits over email - feel free to write.

Then we can really slag each other off!