PDA

View Full Version : JFK

in limbo
9th Sep 2005, 15:28
I was wondering if you are connecting at JFK in one terminal and leaving from another are you able to stay in the security area? Or do you have to leave the terminal and go through security again?

apaddyinuk
10th Sep 2005, 12:09
I believe you have to go through security again! Especially if you are arriving from an international flight!

Pax Vobiscum
10th Sep 2005, 13:30
If (as I think is the case) flights from Canada are now treated the same as international flights from the rest of the world, you must clear Immigration control at the first point of entry into the USA. Thus, on flights routing LHR-SEA-SFO, everyone disembarks at SEA, passes through immigration, and, if necessary, gets back on board to continue to SFO (where the flight is treated as a domestic rather than an international arrival).

If your final destination is outside the USA, you'll need to be creative in answering the questions on the immigration form :D

in limbo
10th Sep 2005, 22:35
The reservation agent assured me that I was traveling from Canada to the UK via the USA that I was in transit and did not have to go through immigration etc.
I hope she was right because I only has one hour and forty five minutes if it is all on time.

The_Banking_Scot
11th Sep 2005, 08:12
Hi in limbo,

From Canada to the US ,you will have to clear US customs and immigration at your point of departure in Canada.

This is done so that flights from Canada are treated like domestic arrivals once arriving in the USA ( ie just pick up your bags if any and go ).

Therefore all you have to do is ( assuming you can get your suitcases tagged through to the UK from Canada is head to your new depature gate once landed at JFK ( you will probably have to reclear security though and possibly transfer between terminals depending on your airline)

Regards

TBS

in limbo
11th Sep 2005, 14:59
That is where I am a little confused.
There are some airports in Canada that do not have pre-cleared customs. Halifax is one of them unless it has changed in the last six months.
The res agent said my bag would be checked through to LHR and all I needed to do was switch terminals and away we go.
She added that because I was intransit and the US was not my destination it would be no troube to make that connection.

I hope she was right. I can't miss that connection

20driver
13th Sep 2005, 12:14
Halifax does not offer US pre clearance. You will have to clear Immigartion @ JFK, then get your bags , pass customs (usually you just hand over a card) , and get you bag to a transfer station, or possibly check the bags back in. I do not think you can have the bag cleared straight to another flight - could be wrong here but I would double check.
1 hr 45 is going to be tight - what time of day do you arrive - Immigration is usually pretty quick but you go into a hall and if the planes from Europe are arriving it can be a wait. (mid morning to noon)
Other question is your status - if you are CDN passport should be a breeze.
The other delay is check in \security - you will need your outbound boarding pass to get past security - will they issue this in Halifax?
If you are joining the evening flow across the pond lines can be long -
I believe the current recommendation is be at check in 2 hours before any int departure - you are already under that.
One big question is your ticket - if both legs are on the same carrier/code share the second carrier has some obligation to you. If it is two seperate tickets and they are overbooked or you are delayed then you could be looking at some major cash damage.
Personally I think you should get an earlier flight to JFK. At least clarify with your agent what happens if you are delayed - weather or moving through the terminals.

in limbo
15th Sep 2005, 10:23
You guy are absolutely correct about the pick up my bag customs and the transfer belt.
Thanks.
I had a bad feeling about that ever since the res agent told me my bag would go all the way to LHR.
I went to the source, the contract handler told me everything.
1 hr 45 may be kind of tight. It would only take one of many things to screw up my connection.
I called BA res and told them the real deal and they seemed either surprised or really did not care.
So I am going over 5 hrs early. Oh well. Can't miss it!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------