PDA

View Full Version : Another crash in the GOM

FlyingHead
9th Sep 2005, 07:16
Hi Gents any of you know what happen, at least everyone are ok

"Rowan Companies Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Rowan Companies reported that a Sikorsky S-76 helicopter carrying 10 passengers and two crew members crashed in the Gulf of Mexico yesterday afternoon. All 12 persons aboard, including eight Rowan employees, were rescued last night by the U. S. Coast Guard and transported to nearby hospitals. Six Rowan employees have been treated for minor injuries and released. The other two employees remain hospitalized for treatment and observation. Neither appears to have suffered any life-threatening injuries.
The helicopter had departed Rowan's jack-up rig, the Bob Keller, located in High Island Block 346 at approximately 3:45 PM (CT), en route to the Company's Sabine Pass, Texas facility. At just after 4:00 PM, a distress signal was received by the Federal Aviation Administration. The helicopter was found approximately 23 miles south of Sabine Pass. "

Cheers
FH

:ok:

B Sousa
9th Sep 2005, 10:21
How does one break an S-76 without anyone knowing it went down until the ELT goes off.......Scary at best.

magbreak
9th Sep 2005, 10:49
Is that the first ADELT to work as advertised?

GLSNightPilot
10th Sep 2005, 00:51
It was Houston Helicopters, which should answer any questions about how something can happen. I would sell used cars or take welfare before I would fly for that outfit. It was an A model, and I wouldn't be surprised if the firewall mod between the engines hadn't been applied. The pilot supposedly said they got a fire warning light, started to turn to look for smoke, and the engine failed. Leveled off, got the second fire light, and then the second engine failed. Pax and crew taken to UTMB Hospital in Galveston for treatment of possible 'chemical burns', probably caused by fuel in the water. They spent several hours in the water before being found and eventually rescued. Apparently no rafts were deployed. Seas weren't high, and the water was very warm. After all, that's what made Katrina so strong. Global warming does have consequences.

Aser
10th Sep 2005, 01:45
The pilot supposedly said they got a fire warning light, started to turn to look for smoke, and the engine failed.

I'm the only one who doesn't like to turn to look for a smoke when I have two engines?
Don't we have two engines just to shutdown one if neeed?
Double check and pull the handle! :*

Aser.

PPRUNE FAN#1
10th Sep 2005, 02:33
Aser:I'm the only one who doesn't like to turn to look for a smoke when I have two engines?
Don't we have two engines just to shutdown one if neeed?
Double check and pull the handle!Hmm. How does one "double-check" a fire light? "Okay, fire light is on. Better double-check. Yep, fire light is on, alright." If the engine hasn't blown up and died, the secondary indications of a fire are...?

But wait...Maybe you're way offshore and you've just taken off. And maybe you know that your loaded-to-max A-model won't fly too well with only one C-30 pumping away. And maybe you make a Command Decision to put it back on the platform. So you rack it around to the downwind, looking for smoke, hoping it's just a false indication and...holy schnikees!

I'm not one to second-guess a pilot's decisions (moi?), but the decision to turn to look for secondary indications seems okie-dokey to me.

Aser
10th Sep 2005, 07:36
How does one "double-check" a fire light?
Err, I was talking about to NOT shutdown the good engine.

But wait...Maybe you're way offshore and you've just taken off. And maybe you know that your loaded-to-max A-model won't fly too well with only one C-30 pumping away. And maybe you make a Command Decision to put it back on the platform. So you rack it around to the downwind, looking for smoke, hoping it's just a false indication and...holy schnikees!

But wait... Maybe you're well below the MGW and you are just ready for descent in a big airport with 3km of runway.
And maybe I know that my PT6-3D will allow me to hover with OEI with less than 70%TQ.And maybe I have departed from a helipad 5 minuts from the airport and I decide to shutdown the engine with all the precautions ,without giving time to the fire to reach the other engine. And maybe... heck it's night! I can't see a s*** out there! :D

I'm not one to second-guess a pilot's decisions
Me neither, I was just giving my opinion with the idea to start a disscusion of the "try to confirm the fire" thing, hats off for the pilot keeping all on board alive

PS.: You cand find yourself in good situations , can't you?
All the above are my real flying conditions some flights, without the engine fire :}

Best regards.
Aser

Galapagos
29th Nov 2005, 21:16
Just found that on AIN...

Tale of Survival in the Ocean After S-76 Crash

Following the crash of a Sikorsky S-76 into the Gulf of Mexico, the two pilots and 10 passengers survived several hours in the water before being rescued, despite their injuries and problems with life-saving equipment. On September 6, at about 4 p.m., the Houston Helicopters S-76 ditched into the Gulf some 24 miles southeast of Sabine Pass, Texas, after a dual engine failure. Everyone evacuated safely, but the captain was unable to retrieve a life raft. In addition, he was having a hard time keeping his head above water because one chamber on his life vest had a leak. After a failed attempt to swim to an oil platform about a mile-and-a-half away, it grew dark and everyone was soon aware that some of the life-vest emergency locator lights did not work. Everyone then huddled together so the remaining operable lights would make as big a light signature as possible. At about 9 p.m., some five hours after the crash, they were spotted by a Coast Guard airplane and a rescue helicopter was dispatched. By 11:30 p.m. everyone had been recovered.