PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted

B.Loser
7th Sep 2001, 18:18
Here’s the scenario:

Let’s make our guy a white male helicopter pilot, approximately 45 years old, divorced, having spent his last 20 years as a helicopter pilot with full (FAA) ATP/ Rotorcraft-Helicopter. We’ll give him somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 logged hours in Eurocopter, Bell and Sikorsky equipment and, assume he can obtain all the necessary permits, visas and licensing. Oh, one other thing, to make this even more difficult, let’s make him a Texan - that way he’s got everything going against him.

Now, this ol’ boy decides he’s tired of assuming the position for 20 years and is looking for a shot at a fresh start in life and decides that he might like to try something overseas. If things were to work out he’s thinking maybe something; long term, in a nice country, a small house, maybe try the family life again if he met the right girl, doesn't want to “make a big splash”, you know – just slow the pace a little.

1) Does this guy stand a snowball’s chance in hell of finding anything – anywhere?

If so,

2) Where’s the best place to go? (He’s heard a lot of good thing about some of the European countries, Australia, and New Zealand - that's what got him thinking about this but, he’s also open for suggestions.)

army427
8th Sep 2001, 04:07
Mate,

You wouldn't have trouble getting a job - just the problem with work permits. You've got about as much chance of working in Europe or OZ/NZ as I have of working in USA. ;)

B Sousa
8th Sep 2001, 04:52
Thats a big No S*** on the work permits. Only way you would be able to work there without one may be with a US company and an N Numbered aircraft.
Licensing over thata way also sucks big time. Hell I've been flying for 30 years and would no more get a license there than the man in the moon. Tons of rubish type bookwork for crap you will never need. And then you have to fly to prove it with another huge expense.
If you've been a driver in the states that long and really really want to get out of the country for a while, take a vacation and look around at some of those places. Also remember your a helicopter driver so pay and security will be for S***
There is no light at the end of the helicopter drivers tunnell.

army427
8th Sep 2001, 08:57
An alternative would be to work in the Middle East (Gulf Air, Abu Dhabi Avn etc) and tour out of which ever country takes your fancy.

Steve76
8th Sep 2001, 10:38
B.Loser,
The major factor is how hungry you are for a position overseas. If you really want it and have the requirements (esp. twin time) then a company can go all out with immigration. If no luck go to the particular country and have a holiday. You never know who you may meet and they find it difficult to out you if you are married.
Personally, NZ is great but there is no work there. Look to OZ. If you have 76 time there is an operator advertising at the moment.
See 'Dunnunda and Godzone' and look for the OZ JOBS 070901 Thread.
Don't bitch about it get off your butt and get looking.
:)

B.Loser
8th Sep 2001, 18:59
OK,

The guy in question here just happens to be a "good ol' boy" from South Texas so, being the "good ol' boy type, he says, "Thank 'ee"! Also being a good ol' boy, he wouldn't be bitchin' he'd simply be "axin'" cause the farthest he's ever been from the Texas boarder would be the summer fire contracts and deep water Gulf of Mexico.

Vsf
9th Sep 2001, 01:13
B. Loser:

Hey, my entire class is apparantly getting axed in ground school. I've had it with chickensh*t airlines. What's the deal with PHI? I heard they got themselves a union. What's the pay/schedule like? I need to make a move.

B.Loser
9th Sep 2001, 03:42
Yes, they did get the union as did AirLog prior to that. They start at around 42K (+ or -). Don't have the scales but, if you want to snoop around, try justhelicopters.com and the forum on that sight. (don't get caught up in all the whining and you'll get some straight stories)

By the way, PHI just announced their sale to some investor out of HOU so, it's hard to say what's going to happen in Lafayette.

If I were to start over in the GOM, I'd try my best to start with ERA out of Lake Charles, La. first. They don't have a union but do have a reputation for being OK without one. Real class act for the GOM (Plus they don't operate singles).

Good luck my friend.

Vsf
9th Sep 2001, 20:55
B. Loser:

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at all that. I remember trying to get on with ERA years ago but they kept cranking up their requirements and I never could catch that dog. Maybe things are different this time around.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like the allure of fixed wing must yield to the fact that unless you're scooped up by the majors, you're pretty much out of luck. I'm sure there are some nice corporate positions but they're hard to find. Rotary might actually be a better shot, I s'pose.