PDA

View Full Version : bmi Regional

Dinger Bell
8th Sep 2005, 18:40
Got a bmi regional interview coming up soon. I have heard on the grapevine that facial hair is a big 'no no' with the interviewers. Apparently they prefer their crews to be clean-shaven for safety reasons since oxygen masks won't seal with beards. I have got a rather prominent beard, which I have had for years and don't want to get rid of it, if at all possible.

Should I be getting worried?

Night Las Palmas
8th Sep 2005, 18:52
Given the fact that head of recruitment Captain Dinger Bell himself has a beard, this is a bit of a coincidence to say the least. Come to think of it quite a few of the senior guys have or have had beards.

If they won't give you a job because you have a beard to be quite frank they are not worth working for, don't worry.

flat-tire
8th Sep 2005, 19:24
Off the subject.

What kind of time do you have and how long ago did you send in the application?

Good Luck with the interview!

mealie puddins
9th Sep 2005, 12:23
There is definately some truth to this rumour as a previous girlfriend of mine was knocked back. She is pretty ugly tho, but a pretty good pilot nonetheless. Feel there is real discrimination going on there with regards to recruitment and facial hair. Come to think of it the aircraft does look like a razor blade.

Doug the Head
9th Sep 2005, 13:55
Mealie puddins, did your ex also have a lot of facial hair? :D

Dinger Bell
9th Sep 2005, 20:55
Those that I know in the company are telling me that that the beard police are now more of a threat than the hat police are, which is apparently a force to be reckoned with. In a bid to keep crews clean-shaven, crews are being encouraged to claim any costs back that may be incurred in getting rid of any rogue goateys and the like, that may appear.

Maybe the bookies in the terminal in Aberdeen would be better off closing down and opening up as a barbers instead?

mealie puddins
10th Sep 2005, 15:20
C'mon doug you must try and keep up. Aye the hat police eh, what's that all about, i do wonder, beards yes, but not hats. Not a bad idea regarding the bookies. Maybe combined bookies and a crop, now there's a novel idea.The oil workers would like it so long as they could take their pint in with them. Wouldna mind a go in the 145 tho, nae a bad lookin thing.

Dinger Bell
10th Sep 2005, 15:39
Judging by the lack of responses from those in the company it might be safe to assume that the beard police may even be monitoring PPRuNe!

mealie puddins
10th Sep 2005, 16:27
How do you know the contributors are not in the company dinger

Night Las Palmas
10th Sep 2005, 18:18
Dinger

I've just had a look at your profile, I assume you work for Everest!!!!!!

I hope the beard ploice don't catch up with your alter ego or the end of the world may be upon us.

I can also state that there is no chance that LB will authorise an expence claim for any shaving bills, not unless she is related to the Barber. Nepotism in bmir, never!
:cool:

mealie puddins
10th Sep 2005, 20:14
No 1, fit the best, fit everest salesman by the way.

Dinger Bell
9th Oct 2005, 19:22
Heard from a contact within that a Memo will be sent out requesting crew members to get rid of all moustaches and beards and that they must report clean shaven from the 1st of November.

Bit cruel since we are coming into the cold winter months… wonder if a scarf will now be uniform issue to keep the facial frostbite at bay?

acbus1
10th Oct 2005, 17:31
All this is a sign of the future for bmi, I guess.

"Hair today, gone tomorrow." :rolleyes:

Firestorm
10th Oct 2005, 21:52
The bit that makes me think that someone is winding you up, Dinger, is the bit about they'll refund the cost of facial depilation: they're a Scottish airline. Think about it

Dinger Bell
11th Oct 2005, 19:58
My sources from within doubt if such a expense claim would go undetected. However they said that a Christmas bonus for clean shaven crews only might work.

Wonder what will be the more serious crime... Forgetting to take your hat to work or forgetting to leave your beard at home?

INKJET
11th Oct 2005, 21:45
Have bmi gone pubic with this policy or is it hush hush?

Dinger Bell
11th Oct 2005, 21:52
Have bmi gone pubic with this policy

Well asking to get rid of your facial hair is one matter but I think that order is beyond the call of duty!

acbus1
12th Oct 2005, 06:24
...bmi gone pubic...
Gives them a better grip.

Though most bmi pilots don't have ones big enough to grip.

On the plus side, it might ease the path of the cricket bat.

:rolleyes:

bacardi walla
12th Oct 2005, 07:52
Does this affect women too :confused:

shortcut_approved
12th Oct 2005, 08:53
But I thought the beards were actively encouraged... something about storage of the emergency food rations??

INKJET
12th Oct 2005, 09:28
No, females at bmi regional are not required to wear hats, although some cabin crew have been seen with the `odd' helmet in their hands at LHR weekends...............:mad: