PDA

View Full Version : Emirates go-around at Birmingham

Doors to Automatic
8th Sep 2005, 16:37
Fully accepting the risk that posting this question will result in me getting my head ripped off does anyone know what caused a very late go-around (50ft apparently) by the Emirates 777 at Birmingham earlier this week?

SLFguy
8th Sep 2005, 16:46
Anyone prepared to help the enquirer or shall I just keep deleting the silly replies?

BOAC
8th Sep 2005, 18:18
Anyone prepared to help the enquirer or shall I just keep deleting the silly replies?

Bart O'Lynn
8th Sep 2005, 20:28

Phileas Fogg
8th Sep 2005, 22:10

Jordan D
8th Sep 2005, 22:33
Phileas - you didn't happen to see the Mod's post above before your stupid post, per chance? Fancy deleting it?

Jordan

BOAC
9th Sep 2005, 07:27
Obviously not, Jordan. Thank you for your support. Some of the above are having a little rest for a few days.

GrahamK
9th Sep 2005, 08:21
Was their another aircraft on the runway still? Cabin not secured fully (although I would suspect that at 50ft it would have been) or something else perhaps?

RoyHudd
9th Sep 2005, 08:33
Why not have a new section entitled "Go-Arounds and other trivia"? This would allow space for the relentless posting of enquiries about the reasons for go-arounds, and spare the rest of us who understand the lack on newsworthiness of such events. Might even reduce the skewed media interest in these routine procedures.

BongleBear
9th Sep 2005, 08:41

Fernando_Covas
9th Sep 2005, 09:12

BongleBear
9th Sep 2005, 09:28

Mr. Ree
9th Sep 2005, 10:05

BongleBear
9th Sep 2005, 10:10

Jordan D
9th Sep 2005, 11:02
Good to see you have the stupidity factor still in you.

Simple - don't have an answer, then don't post. Unless you are adding something of value, don't add it.

Maybe BOAC will help you take a good rest too.

Jordan

Captain Airclues
9th Sep 2005, 11:49
A go-around is not a 'routine' operation. It is a safe manoeuvre for which we are fully trained, but it is not routine, and any professional pilot should be interested in their causes. BA classifies go-arounds as 'Reportable Incidents' which require an Air Safety Report to be filed. Statistics are produced with the locations and reasons so that steps can be taken to reduce their occurence. If a particular airfield has a high rate of missed approaches due to blocked runways then approaches can be made to the airport concerned to find out if there is a problem with the turnoffs or with the approach spacing. If there are a large number of windshear events then crews can be warned. Go-arounds due to technical reasons can be investigated by engineering.
By examining the reasons for go-arounds we can often learn something which might be of use in the future, and personally I have no problem with someone asking the question so long as it is in the correct forum (here). Might I suggest that anyone who feels the need to post childish replies should avoid clicking on the post in the first place as the word 'go-around' makes the subject rather obvious. The other solution would be to make the Spotters Forum like the Private Flying forum and several others, where the threads do not appear on the home page. Then anyone who entered the forum would only have themselves to blame if they couldn't keep their arrogance under control.

Airclues

amanoffewwords
9th Sep 2005, 11:55
Simple - don't have an answer, then don't post. Unless you are adding something of value, don't add it.

Or buy a personal title to justify the waste of bandwidth - have you noticed the complainers never have one.. :rolleyes:

BOAC
9th Sep 2005, 12:00
Roy - can we rely on you then, to pay for the extra costs of the extra forum? Please PM Danny with your offer.

The alternative is not to read any thread with the words 'go-round' in if it bothers you. Most of those involved in PROFESSIONAL aviation know that it is a little unusual to g/a from 50', so maybe the question is valid? In any case, we have repeatedly assured our readers that this is a forum where they MAY ask such questions.

The rest of you - enjoy the break. If you think this is a challenge, then see how you would like to be off PPRune COMPLETELY for a few weeks. My patience is running thin.

RoyHudd
9th Sep 2005, 12:31
Sorry chaps. Just completed 2 days in the sim, and lost count of how many go-arounds I was involved in....agreed, the circumstances around GA's are not routine, but we all follow a routine procedure in executing the thing.

Anyway, let's chill. I thought the thread was quite amusing.

PPRuNe Pop
10th Sep 2005, 07:11
Amusing? Maybe to some but you note not by BOAC.

I have given our response regarding the question of go-arounds many times before, but to save you searching here it is again.

Go arounds are interesting to many of those who read this forum and we will not allow stupid, childish little rants to get in the way of an answer. If it happens again we will ban you from the thread. Persistent offenders will have their PPRuNe activity seriously curtailed.

Thanks to Captain Airclues, a former TRE/IRE with BA, he has once again given a perfect answer to a go around, as he usually does.

Now! Would someone please answer 'doors' question if they can.

PPP