PDA

View Full Version : Flat Screen Monitor

dwlpl
8th Sep 2005, 14:42
Can anyone recommend a Flat Screen Monitor of at least 17" and a response time of 12ms or less.

spannersatcx
8th Sep 2005, 15:05
I have an NEC 17" LCD monitor, don't know he response times but it's very good.

Genghis the Engineer
8th Sep 2005, 15:53
I'm currently sat looking at a 19" Dell which cost (my employer ;) ) less than £250. Picture quality is excellent, it is much less strain on my eyes to look at than the older CRT it replaced and I'd be happy to have one at home as well.

Response time is I *think* 16ms, but I'm damned if I can notice any flicker, but I think that they do a slightly more expensive one which is faster if this is important to you.

G

goates
8th Sep 2005, 16:19
Be careful when looking at response times. LCD manufacturers love to play games with the response times. It used to be the time to go from white to black and back again (time to rise/time to fall). Typically you would like 8ms one way and 12 the other for a total of 20ms, for example. Now the companies are doing things like only listing one part, like the white to black. This would give them a response time of 8ms in the above example.

Many of the monitors with faster response times cannot truly display more than a few hundred thousand colours, compared to the millions you get with a CRT. For games this isn't much of a problem as the monitors can simulate the other colours, but for graphics work it might be an issue. If you do need accurate colour reproduction, look for an 8-bit or higher LCD.

My Dell 1905FP has a 20ms response time, and I haven't noticed any ghosting in games or movies. The larger Dell monitors (the 2001FP, 2005FPW and 2405FPW) all get good reviews too.

Conan the Librarian
8th Sep 2005, 16:22
You will get a better response time usually with a 17 inch but also, you will get a sharper picture too, as the majority of 19 inchers run at 1280X1024. Same amount of pixels in a smaller space, equals a sharper pic. Old rules still apply though. If you want a fast screen for games, then get a CRT monitor instead.

Last week, I bought a 19 inch LCD TV/Monitor and although it works beautifully at the above resolution, I prefer my 17 inch Iiyama LCD for detailed photo work. A bit ironic really - I bought the 19 inch to save some space (and let me watch the Cricket!) but now have ended up using more space with the two monitors side by side. That is progress, allegedly!

Conan

SirToppamHat
8th Sep 2005, 16:57
I have just ordered one of these. The price is amazing, but it was the reviews that helped me to take the plunge. It may be considered advertising by the mods, but the main reason for posting is for the reviews. I expect to receive it on Friday.

Possible Solution? (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=10655355257&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=83914)

Unfortunately, this monitor doesn't come with a DVI connection or in-built speakers, but I am not convinced DVI makes that much difference based on what I've seen, and already have speakers anyway.

If you remind me by PM I will try and remember to let you know how I get on with it.

Regards

STH

Mac the Knife
8th Sep 2005, 19:51
LCDs are groovy and save space, but for speed, resolution versatility and colour accuracy the CRT still rules (at half the price too).

Engineer
8th Sep 2005, 20:03
Agree with spannersatcx on this one NEC LCD. For around £180 you can obtain a Accusync LCD72VM

PPRuNe Pop
8th Sep 2005, 21:28
I have a ViewSonic, also 17" £157.79 inc p&p. Yes it is 12ms. A really super picture too.

Conan the Librarian
8th Sep 2005, 23:10
Yes, they are great, they are sexy and they are the future - but for performance, the old CRT still leads the way. Sadly and in comparison with the new technology, CRTs are no longer acceptable on grounds of sheer bulk. Tell me about it! Two 19 inch CRTs (Dell/Samsung) and a 17 inch Iiyama plus the 19 inch Samsung LCDs .

The CRTs are still streets ahead in sheer performance terms, but the reality is that most peeps are not using monitors to extremes. For general useage, the LCDs are brilliant when it comes to living with them.

Conan

ORAC
9th Sep 2005, 06:40
Tomshardware (http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050606/index.html) review of 6 top of the line 19" displays. It also links to their review of 8ms displays for gaming which explains the trade-offs.

Jhieminga
9th Sep 2005, 06:58
Don't know where you can get them in the UK, but I recently replaced an old 15" CRT that had given up trying with an Acer AL 1751As 17" flatscreen. Many LCD monitors I've looked at aren't too good at displaying warm colours, they all seem flat and bright to me, but this one stood out from the rest for contrast and colour. And the price was pretty reasonable too. Just a personal opinion of course.

Just found the site: http://www.acer.co.uk

Conan the Librarian
9th Sep 2005, 10:05
Yes Mike, FOUR monitors, though the CRTs are in storage in the garage right now, as they take up so much damned space! I really should sell at least one of them, but can't bear to part with them :-)

Conan

spannersatcx
9th Sep 2005, 10:13
make sure it also has DVI input as well as that is far superior to analogue.

Blacksheep
11th Sep 2005, 03:58
I'm using a 20 inch BENQ flat screen TV/Monitor with antenna, video, s-video and PC inputs.

The PC, Monitor and an LG surround-sound home theatre audio system are all hooked up together, so I'm listening to a favourite MP3 playlist on Windows Media Player (the Dido "Sand in my Shoes" track is playing at the moment) in surround sound as I type this, lying back in my lounger, with my feet up.

Multi-media - the only way to go. :ok: