PDA

View Full Version : ICAO Licenses?

Max TQ
7th Sep 2001, 00:08
I saw an advert the other day requiring an ICAO license. Does any one know how you aquire or convert a CAA License. :confused:

IHL
7th Sep 2001, 10:07
MAX TQ ; An ICAO licence is a licence issued by an ICAO member state. Your CAA licence would qualify.

Steve76
7th Sep 2001, 12:21
Interesting that an English CAA licence qualifies for a ICAO equivalent.
If you want to convert to a British licence, every other ICAO nations ATPL qualifies you for nothing in the UK.

Joker's Wild
10th Sep 2001, 05:58
Steve76 raises an interesting point. Given that the UK CAA is no longer issuing UK pilot licenses, rather JAR-FCLs, one wonders how or if the holder of a UK certificate might have their license accepted by an ICAO state.

Right now, if someone wants to convert their ICAO license to a JAR-FCL in the UK, the only way to do this is to write ALL the JAR ATPL-H exams, the check ride, etc. I believe the only exemption anyone with any experience will get is on the ground school side of things.

What's even more incredible, is for someone who started their flight training immediately prior to the cut-off date (June 1999 I think). These individuals would have been issued with a UK CAA pilot license. As I understand it (via a friend who is in fact in this situation), he with a brand new license and next to no experience will be able to walk in and simply ask to have his JAR-FCL issued to him. Don't forget, he had his license issued to him under ICAO rules, back when any of us could have gone to the UK and written only a few exams to convert our ICAO licenses. For what it's worth, I'm basing my license conversion arguement on General Information Document No. 12 (I think), published by the UK CAA.

My point is, if right now someone with a UK CAA pilot license can still have that license recognized and converted by an ICAO state, why can't we have our ICAO licenses converted to a JAR-FCL (that's all they're issuing now) in the UK. I don't see how it can work only one way.

If I'm way off base here, I'll happily be corrected. :confused: