PDA

View Full Version : Precise answers (on an EK issue) to an imprecise question

V/S
8th Sep 2005, 12:10
Hi guys,

I read all topics, but there is something I`m still not sure
I just want to know how much will a FO take home at the end of the month after all expenses paid. With how much do you close the month????
just wanna know that, I`m trying to make up my mind and money will be the factor.

tks

Fearless Leader
8th Sep 2005, 13:43
About 19,000 UAE dhs a month

Figure out the exchange based on your home currrency

V/S
8th Sep 2005, 19:29
Thank you,

but starting salary is 19k... i am wondering what amount do EK FOs save at the end of each month. That`s after food, phone bills and all that not payd by EK.

tks

Oblaaspop
8th Sep 2005, 21:17
Well, how much do you eat? and how many long distance phone calls do you make?

Ask a stupid question!!!!!!!!

Vorsicht
9th Sep 2005, 06:18
This has been done to death a 100 times and if you search hard you will find heaps of detail.

In brief.

If you are single you will save well in excess of 10,000dhs. Same if you are couple and more if spouse is working.

If you have non school age kids you will still be doing ok.

If you have up to two primary school kids, you wont save much, but you will be able to afford the occasional decent holiday.

Three primary school kids is a bit of a struggle.

Three high school kids and you are going backwards at a significant rate. That is just living, not joining clubs, playing golf, holidaying etc.

I have two primary school kids, and my monthly spend is consistently more than i earned when i was an F/O. Admittedly that is paying off a cheap car and buying the odd toy with two reasonable holidays a year.

fullforward
9th Sep 2005, 06:43
Please check your PM.

Scudsy
9th Sep 2005, 08:53
Good lord! Is this single guy living on Baked Beans!

Do you actually know someone who is single and saving anything NEAR that crazy figure?

I'd love to meet that person and have a look around his TENT! Because that's the ONLY way you'll save anything LIKE 10,000 a month.

Unless you have a very restricted social life and don't have any hobbies then FORGET saving.

If you've got kids then maybe more so.

BigGeordie
9th Sep 2005, 09:23
If you are single and in company accomodation you should be able to save about 4,000 Dhs a month. If you are married with no kids and your wife is working you will save more than that, depending on her taste in shoes and what she earns. If you have kids you won't save anything and will probably have to dig into savings until you get your upgrade, especially if your wife isn't working.

Obviously if you live in a tent and survive on baked beans, or if you eat out everynight the situation changes a bit.

Be warned, Dubai is not a cheap place to live.

pintofstella
9th Sep 2005, 20:47
in answer, not very much!!!!! as has been said before, if you want any sort of social life plus also the cost of setting up your new home with all the extra bits yu would want and need you can forget about saving for the 1st year or so. beer now 25-30 dhs a pint, wine 180-350 for a decent bottle depending on your tipple. think long and hard before coming... sounds good on paper but do your sums.
good luck to all people who want to come, but not even mentioned job issues yet...