PDA

View Full Version : Katmandu Nepal Transiting Aircraft International

Sheep Guts
8th Sep 2005, 09:52
Just enquiring if anyone knows about the requirment to conduct an Approach into Katmandu on a Sim prior to going there and supply proof of a PC to the authorities before arrival. Our Planning contractor has mentioned this to us, that it is a requirement. I have been to the Nepal CAA website and weve emailed them with no response. If anyone has any info or constructive advice thanks in advance.
We will operating a B200 into there hopefully.

Regards
Sheep

greybeard
8th Sep 2005, 23:43
SIA had an extensive 4 hr Sim session to "qualify" crews plus a route endorsement was carried out by a SIP.

I did about 20 trips, managed to complete all arrivals, others were not so lucky, Calcutta being the Alternate.

Traffic is high, B1900, DHC6 and others, ATC is/was average, weather hazy or stormy in season and the approach to 02 is 6deg for part after you cross a ridge, large Vulture type birds around as a land fill was near the airport.

Jepp charts indicate the difficulty, special proceedures for engine failure were extensive, MSAs are 10,000 to 20,000 in sectors and escape routes are needed.

Thai and Pakistan have come to grief there by not following or understanding the situation.

One of Aviations "challangers" for sure.

We had average ground support for a large airline and didn't get involved in that side but the efficiency was ??????

Cheers

Sheep Guts
9th Sep 2005, 05:07
Thanks Greybeard,
I understand the situation, I think. Im operating in Kabul at the moment our MSA is 17,500 our ILS starts 38 miles out. Do you know of any other Sims that have the visuals or any idea which ones would be available. Ive been told because the visuals arent available on all types they waiver the type specific requirement. I cant confirm this yet as I havent been able to contact the Nepal CAA there phone numbers Ive gotten seem dissused or disconnected.

Any more advice about possible training facilities is greatly appreciated. I have email CAE Emirates and a few others.

Sheep

greybeard
9th Sep 2005, 14:07
My time was on the A-310, did not do the Sim as I had already been "endorsed" when the "incident" occurred that made the Sim a requirement.
As I understand it was an arrival, missed approach, retry, land.
Then a departure with a failure and all the A-310 specials which may not fit other A/C.
Then an approach with a circle to land RW 20, with a missed approach I think, repos and a circle to land
A-310 is history in SIA but there are people who did the program as Instructors still there so ???? give it a go.

Glad I went there, glad I don't any more due all the changes in the Country and a bit old for all that sort of "excitement" of steep VORs in IMC, Sim Instructing is too much fun.

Lots of Luck