PDA

View Full Version : S61 Logger down.

Cyclic Hotline
16th Jan 2001, 05:27
It is reported that both pilots suffered injuries in the accident, but not life threatening. Accident occurred around 09:30 this morning.
Thoughts are with the crew and colleagues.

From the BCTV website. http://www.tvforbc.com/

Two Men Survive Helicopter Crash

Helicopter Involved In Logging Operations

VANCOUVER, Updated 12:12 p.m. PST January 15, 2001 --Two people survived the crash of a logging helicopter on Monday in the Howe Sound area, north of Vancouver.

The Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Victoria said a logging chopper went down near Porteau Cove.

A rescue helicopter was sent to the scene to help remove the injured, who were taken to hospital.

The cause of the crash was not known.

The helicopter was operated by Hayes Forest Services of Duncan, on Vancouver Island.

It was working for Terminal Forests Products of Richmond, B.C., which is conducting heli-logging in the area.

Cyclic Hotline
16th Jan 2001, 09:01
Double Trouble For Survivors Of Helicopter Crash

Chopper Crashed In Remote Area Near Howe Sound

VANCOUVER, Updated 6:40 p.m. PST January 15, 2001 --Rescuers say it's a miracle two men survived a helicopter crash north of Vancouver Monday.

The helicopter went down in an isolated area in the Howe Sound area just south of Porteau Cove at 9:30 a.m.

The terrain in the area is rugged and steep. The helicopter, owned by Hayes Forest Services of Duncan, crashed into a ravine while working on a logging operation to remove a tree.

"There were, I believe, four or five loggers working on the ground, fallers working in the area and they made their way and provided first aid and stayed with the victims," said Sgt. Gary Brine of Squamish RCMP.

The victims were then taken by ambulance to nearby Porteau Cove. Although their injuries were not life threatening, it was decided they should be airlifted to a Vancouver hospital in order to avoid the 45-minute drive to emergency.

They were transferred onto a Canadian Forces Labrador helicopter. The Labrador was heading for Kitsilano when it developed an engine problem and was forced to make an emergency landing at the Vancouver Airport

It landed safely, and both men were finally taken to the hospital by ambulance after having survived one brush with death, and a second close call in the rescue chopper.

Both men are listed in good condition and they are expected to survive.

It is not yet known what caused the crash. Transport Canada is now investigating.

Cyclic Hotline
27th Jan 2001, 05:17
Preliminary investigation reveals that the helicopter experienced a double freewheel spit-out, resulting in a double engine failure!

Investigation focused on inputs. No other anomolies noted to aircraft or systems.

Pilots both doing well.

offshoreigor
27th Jan 2001, 07:55
Interesting theory. I wonder if any of our Logging brothers could shed some light on this. I'd be interested to know how often the Q is maintained below 20% on Logging Ops.

S61 Inputs are known to suffer when the Q is allowed to go below about 15-20% Q on approach. I hear Scotia (BIH) had a couple let go in the past for this very reason.

CHC has a policy of not allowing the Q to go below 20% on approach and as a result Freewheel inputs are getting a new lease on life.

Just an observation, any comments?

Cheers, OffshoreIgor http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Cyclic Hotline
27th Jan 2001, 11:43
At the time of this accident, the machine was flying uphill, with a longline and no load. By the time they turned downhill and impacted, they had no NR.

Standard operating practice in logging operations is to ensure that at least 20% torque is maintained at all times during descent. The operator had high time experienced crews operating the ship. Freewheels were low time, measure within limits, but exhibit some unusual wear.

There is not an S61 operator out there who has not suffered cam spit-outs, clunks, slippages or engine overspeed induced shut-downs at some time during their operations (including military). Sikorsky had proposed the Improved Durability Gearbox (IDG) which essentially installed the current series military box. Following an oil pump drive failure, the programme was abandoned, due to a perceived "lack of interest" from Operators, although they never discussed abandoning this project with the Operators, at any time.

It is interesting to note that this and most every other programme was scrapped at the same time as the product support department was disassembled. This has left Sikorsky's commercial product support capability in a total shambles, and they are dealing with some significant S61 and S76 problems, as well as trying to bring the S92 programme to life.

Their is considerable heat from the regulators at Sikorsky, currently. The total lack of resources are becoming evident to everyone involved and some serious changes are in the air. Already strategic personnel changes have occurred within commercial product support, but much more to come.

Much more to come on this whole issue I fear. The dealings on Main Rotor Masts, Tail Rotor Spindles and Main Rotor Blades do not show a great deal of promise. Anyone who has witnessed the current regime is probably not rushing to buy the S92! I wonder why?

offshoreigor
27th Jan 2001, 12:24
Thanks Cyclic, I appreciate the info. Sounds like it will be a tricky investigation.

Cheers, OffshoreIgor http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Larry
28th Jan 2001, 01:39
Cyclic says.

"There is not an S61 operator out there who has not suffered cam spit-outs, clunks, slippages or engine overspeed induced shut-downs at some time during their operations (including military)".

Can you please explain the above ?

What are clunks ,cam spit-outs ,slippages ,
Engine overspeed shutdowns ETC ?

In LOS ANGELES our Sheriffs Dept. started flying three Ex-Navy SH-3Hs for mountian SAR and id like to learn as much as possible about S-61 problems.

Please tell me as much as you can about the S-61s "problems" and weak points.

Thanks
Larry

stikker
28th Jan 2001, 03:49
I would be very interested in here from more experienced s61 driver on its difficulties- thanks