View Full Version : Helios engineers named!!

mono
8th Sep 2005, 02:03
Although the information is in the public domain I'm NOT going to repeat the names here.

However the Times (among others?) has named the 2 engineers who (allegedly) signed the a/c as fit to fly on its last flight. Surely this information should have been kept secret, at least until the investigators had done their job?

It's hardly condusive to effective safety or HF management if your name is bandied about following an accident incident unable to effectively defend yourself.

I certainly hope they get a fair hearing from the AAIB. Which is more than they'll get from the Cypriot press.

Avionic_Adonis
12th Sep 2005, 23:31
Assuming of course that the incident was maintenance related? A lot of people are drawing all sorts of conclusions about this tragedy.

Let's wait and see?

Mr.Brown
14th Sep 2005, 21:31
After reading all about this in the press, this naming of engineers is a disgrace. They already "raided"(according to the press) the airlines offices.
Its a case of guilty until proven innocent.

Truck2005
5th Oct 2005, 20:44
I have just returned from Cyprus. The Cyprus Weekly has run a double page article on the subject, including the names of the Chief Engineer and the techie and Mech. They have also written what appears to be a full result of the reasons to the crash.

Beats me how they did that as the enquiry is still on going!

Looks like the techies are going to get the shafting, despite some apparent wrong switch selection and cross cockpit confusion.

Bus429
8th Oct 2005, 14:16
Is it a faint hope that Human Factors et al will be considered during any investigation? Accidents are a collection of incidents coming together at the wrong time. Terrible shame that they have been named at this stage.

SMOC
9th Oct 2005, 00:47
REUTERS , ZURICH
Friday, May 21, 2004,Page 7
A lone air traffic controller missed a key warning on his radar screen in one of a chain of errors that led to a 2002 mid-air crash over Germany which killed dozens of Russian children, a report showed on Wednesday.

The report came nearly three months after the controller on duty at the time of the disaster, identified by Swiss media as Peter Nielsen, was stabbed to death outside his house.

Police are holding a bereaved Russian who lost his wife, son and daughter in the crash, in which 71 people were killed in one of Europe's worst peacetime air accidents.