PDA

View Full Version : Sad loss

SPS
15th Jan 2001, 05:33
15/01/2001 10:18 AM
IRN News

A pilot is dead after his helicopter crashed on Mt Victoria in Wellington this morning.

The Helipro Bell Iroquois was was lifting construction material when it went down.

The pilot was the only person on board.

Police and firefighters are trying to disperse a significant amount of fuel which has spilled from the helicopter.

Emergency services in Wellington were called to the scene shortly before 10am this morning.

It is understood the helicopter was lifting construction material when it went down at about 9:55am this morning.

The crash site has been sealed off by police.

Condolencies to the Pilot's family and friends.

sprocket
15th Jan 2001, 07:20
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=168487&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

My condolences also.

Semi Rigid
15th Jan 2001, 09:10
Thats not good news at all. They have been having a bad run with their gear lately, Helipro. I was on the ground fighting the Wither Hills grass fires in Marlborough & Helipro had about 4/5 machines on the job. The guy flying the Huey from Wgtn was having a hell of a hard time of it as the wind was a severe NNW and fanned by the flames it was honking. Anyway he, and I am presuming it is the same pilot, & the rest of the pilots on that job did a heck of a good job and I know those farmers in the affected area will be thinking of his family once hearing the news.

Larry
15th Jan 2001, 12:24
Not a good day for Helipro.My condolences.

Just a bit of trivia.

The crashed Helicopter was a ex-US Air Force UH-1F Huey. The helicopter used a
T-58 Turbine instead of the much more common
T-53. Id say less than 5 of these helicopters are still flying and id bet
Helipros UH-1F was the only F flown outside the USA.
Interestingly Helipro also flew a Ex-US military Sikorsky HH-3E/F(S-61R) until it crashed last year during a logging flight. I don` t think anyonee died on that one but the helo was badly damaged and probably not repairable.