PDA

View Full Version : Let me have my moment!!!

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
7th Sep 2005, 21:27
Hi Gang;

I know it's only for a fleeting moment ...BUT;

N. Ireland 1 England 0 :O
Norway 1 Scotland 2 :ok:

We will be rebuilding the wall next!!!! :mad:

Who needs Henman!!!!!

Regards to Most;
SFS

:cool:

Edited for Red Wine Speeling!!!

ZH875
7th Sep 2005, 21:50
We will be rebuilding the wall next!!!!

Can we English help you rebuild Both walls.

Rakshasa
8th Sep 2005, 03:53
Bah! It's only because our Positive Waves are all aimed at the Oval. ;)

Echo 5
8th Sep 2005, 07:09
J Bloke

" Who needs Henman!!!!! " when WE have Andy Murray.

Let's pray England don't win The Ashes or it'll be 1966 all over again.:)

ZH875,

Wasn't the other wall just a mere dyke ? :D

ZH875
8th Sep 2005, 10:42
E5, the Dyke was Welsh, the Northern Skirt wearing blokes had two walls, they hid behind the Antonine Wall, after chucking Haggis bombs over Hadrian's wall.

dopeonarope
8th Sep 2005, 11:05
Let's pray England don't win The Ashes or it'll be 1966 all over again.

Or England winning Rugby World Cup in 1993:ok:

Come on, the loss against N Ireland was to a) help the Peace Process and b)give them a chance to qualify for the world cup finals.... more British teams that qualify mean that England increase odds of winning!:cool:

Hoist to crew winching Out!

Echo 5
8th Sep 2005, 12:02
ZH875,

I am aware that the Dyke is Welsh that's why I mentioned it. Thought your plan might have been to brick up the Taffies as well.
Must admit tho that I had forgotten about the Antonine Wall which some Glaswegians probably knocked down :)

Here's a little bit of history

" The Antonine Wall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 138 AD Antonius Pius (86-161 AD) succeeded Hadrian as Emperor of Rome. To mark the northernmost extent of Roman territory in Britain - and to gain prestige - Antonius decided to build a wall to rival that of his predecessor.

The Antonine Wall spans the narrowest portion of lowland Scotland, between the Firth of Forth and the Firth of Clyde. The actual construction of the wall was supervised by Lollius Urbicus, governor of Britain.

Unlike its more solid southern counterpart, the Antonine Wall was built of turf fronted by a ditch 12 feet deep. The wall was 10 feet high and 14 feet wide and dotted with 29 small military forts linked by a road.

As a defensive barrier the Antonine Wall did not fulfill its role for long. In 181 the northern tribes poured over the wall and pushed the Romans back to Hadrian's Wall. The Romans finally abandonned any hope of regaining the territory between the two walls in 196 AD.

Antonine Wall facts:
Length 37 miles (59km)
Built 140-142 AD "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J Bloke,

Sorry, I digress again ;)

dopeonarope,

" Or England winning Rugby World Cup in 1993 "

You'll note that there hasn't been mention of that recently because they've been sh!te ever since.:D

Edited to correct spelling error

An Teallach
8th Sep 2005, 12:10
ZH875

I think you'll find the wall building in both the cases of Antonius Pius and Hadrian was done by the opposition for the express purpose that they may do the 'hiding behind' it themselves. :p

Yours aye

A 'skirt-wearing' haggis eater from the only part of the UK as yet unconquered by any foreign power!:ok:

ZH875
8th Sep 2005, 12:26
AT, if the English/Romans had to 'Hide' behind a wall from the inhabitants of Glasgow, I think the walls would have been a darned sight higher and wider. :p

HTB
8th Sep 2005, 12:32
Did we win the Rugby World Cup in 1993? Wow. Tat's twice in recent memory as we won it in 2003 as well!:ok:

ORAC
8th Sep 2005, 12:50
Unconquered?

Actaually, the original inhabitants of Scotland were the Picts. The Celts invaded from Ireland and finally polished them off while the were distracted by the Vikings. Mac Alpinīs Treason (http://members.tripod.com/~Halfmoon/macalpin.html) :E

Echo 5
8th Sep 2005, 13:27
Is this the same Mac Alpin that later built roads with Mac Adam ? ;)

An Teallach
8th Sep 2005, 14:09
ORAC

I think I'm getting bogged down enough in semantics in another place (too much time on my hands!).

However, I wouldn't rely too much on amateur sites on tripod.com for my history.

Cinaed (Pictish) mac Alpin's (Dalriadan Scots) own name underlines his own mixed ancestry. Actually the Dalriadan Scots and Pictish societies were well integrated by the 9th Century (they were both Celtic peoples, one P and one Q). Kings of both peoples shared mixed ancestry for at least the preceding 100 years.

The alleged 'treason' of MacAlpin can be as easily interpreted as merely an internecine dynastic struggle.

How the Scots could be said to have wiped-out the Pictish Church is beyond me since the Picts were evangelized (and their church was set up by) the Scots St. Columba and his successors; As, indeed, were the 'heathens' in Northumbria. ;)

Since one of the more vigorous Pictish tribes (the Goddodin) had bogged-off to North Wales, and the Church was staffed by Gaelic speaking priests, I suppose it's no wonder the Pictish language died out in Scotland.

Calling that a conquest is, I think, rather over-stepping the mark. Our Pictish brethren are still among us!

Zoom
8th Sep 2005, 15:00
Don't forget that when Henman wins he is English and when he loses he is British. When Murray wins he is British and when he loses he is Scottish. You see, we English have mastered the art of bathing in reflected glory where available and shifting the blame when required. It's an ego-bolstering thing in the light of a general dearth of favourable sporting results. That is why we have won more and lost less than we actually have, if you see what I mean. For example, last night's result was a great British victory rather than an embarrassing English defeat. Now you Scottish and Welsh could be a bit more like us and try the same thing; take England's Rugby World Cup triumph and try to see it as as a great British victory for a change. Go one, give it a go - you know you can. Are you trying? No, you're not. You can't just can't do it, can you, and you're the poorer for it.

Anyone still with me?

ZH875
8th Sep 2005, 15:20
David Coulthard is fast (slowly!) becoming a brit.

William Wallace may have 'won' freedom for Scotland but just remember the Scottish Monarch is not Scottish and doesn't live in Scotland, just has the occaisonal holiday there.

An Teallach
8th Sep 2005, 16:42
Aw, c'mon, Zoom. Where's the fun in that? ;)

ZH875: If I may remind the honourable gentleman, The Scots managed not to be subsumed into the Danish Empire of Svein Forkbeard and his descendants who ruled England from 1013 - 1042.

We actually managed to get on reasonably well with the English during the all too brief period when they were actually ruled by English Kings (1042 - 1066).

Since then, England has been ruled successively by the Norman and Angevin French, the Welsh Tudors, The Scots Stuarts and their descendants: The German Hanoverians and Wettins (later Windsors).

Sadly, the last time England was actually ruled by an Englishman; one O. Cromwell Esq, the whole of the British Isles went to hell in a handbasket!

Although, going back to Zooms's intervention: In a masterpiece of spin, the war known to Irish and Scots history as the Wars of the 3 Kingdoms, of which the first missiles fired were prayer books in St Giles Catherdral, Edinburgh; we succesfully blamed on our Sassunach cousins and bequeathed to history as the English Civil War!

Echo 5
8th Sep 2005, 17:50
J Bloke,

Just look what you've started now !!

Methinks you've had more than a moment. The banter's coming along nicely though.

dopeonarope
8th Sep 2005, 18:34
Did we win the Rugby World Cup in 1993? Wow. Tat's twice in recent memory as we won it in 2003 as well!

Doah, seems like 12 years ago after living here for past 4 years!:sad:

succesfully blamed on our Sassunach cousins and bequeathed to history as the English Civil War!

Check your Gaelic dictionary An T..... a Sassunach ...... spelt sasunnach is a Lowlander.... therefore Glaswegians etc are also tarred with the same "English" brush! :}

I was born in England, but consider myself British but follow sport in folowing order of Countries..... England, Scotland, N. Ireland. Added to that at the end the Principality of Wales:= I want all teams to succeed and show just how great UK is to rest of world!

Hoist to crew Winching over and OUT!

PS I know I live in Canada;)

An Teallach
8th Sep 2005, 18:45
Forgive the missing 'n', dopeonarope. However, we were rarely so rude as to call people something other than that which they called themselves. Though we are sufficiently conservative and bloody-minded not to revise the appellation when they change their own name!

Sassunnach is merely the Gaelic rendering of the word Saxon, or more accurately of the Saxons.

SH! You Aint Seen Me
9th Sep 2005, 15:33
Personally I think that Yorkshire, being "Gods Country" should be bricked up to stop chinless wonders like Henman coming near it and sullying our beautiful Dales with his dodgey tennis! He should try a mans sport like Rugby League!

Oh and by the way Geoff Boycott could get back in the test side today if he wanted to!

ZH875
9th Sep 2005, 15:43
SH. Hear hear.

Echo 5
9th Sep 2005, 16:44
SH! You Aint Seen Me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He should try a mans sport like Rugby League!

Bo!!ox.............everyone knows that Union is the proper mans game.

Agree with everything else though. :)

ZH875
9th Sep 2005, 17:43
Ah yes, Union, the Bottom Hugging Bollo*k fondling game. A stop start version of League, which can be described thus:

Pass the peanut to your freind (Backwards of course) when he gets it, watch the opponents jump on him, then do likewise. After a couple or so minutes, pick the ball up and start again, pass to someone else you want to jump on.

Didn't England win the world cup a short while ago, by adopting the Wimbledon (AKA MK Dons) football technique of kicking the ball way way forward all the time. Boring, but sadly true.

Echo 5
27th Oct 2005, 06:59
Right........that's Henman sorted out so young Murray can go after some bigger scalps now.

Thought it was a bit OTT tho with " Flower of Scotland " being played on Talk Sport at early o' clock this morning.

An Teallach
27th Oct 2005, 09:11
Much as I admired the work of the late Roy Williamson, God save us from that dreary tune!

It's not a great step forward from that doleful dirge 'God Save Our Gracious Queen'. :yuk:

(Donning kevlar and awaiting incoming ...)

Echo 5
27th Oct 2005, 09:28
AT,

Agreed...........FOS is a bit old hat now. Much prefer " Highland Cathedral " as sung by the Glasgow Phoenix Choir.

< www.phoenixchoir.org/hear.htm >

An Teallach
27th Oct 2005, 09:41
It's a good tune but rather difficult to sing. My vote would be for the 1st 2 verses of the Freedom Come All Ye by Hamish Henderson. The tune is a variation on the Bloody Fields of Flanders, one of the great 2/4 Pipe Marches and is easy to sing.

However, since national anthems tend to be played at international willy-waving contests, how about this classic from the pen of Robert Burns (http://www.clandonald.org.uk/nine.wma). (Requires Windows Media Player). :E

Quite incongruous when sung by the demure Gill Bowman!

Echo 5
7th Feb 2006, 18:10
Just got back from Gods' Country after watching that excellent display by Scotland against France. A word of thanks to the England team ( swallows pride:) ) for softening up the Taffies. Hope they will still be knackered next Sunday when Scotland visit Cardiff.

Zoom
7th Feb 2006, 18:19
Yes, some excellent and entertaining rugby last weekend, but I really feel sorry for Italy with Ireland being awarded that non-try.

Echo 5
25th Feb 2006, 20:05
Sorry guys !!..............don't mean to gloat but what a result at Murrayfield this evening. And no.......Scotland weren't lucky, they were just better. Sweet dreams tonight. :)

Zoom
25th Feb 2006, 20:37
Can't argue with that, Echo 5 ........... sadly.

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
25th Feb 2006, 20:46
Hi Guys;

Had forgotten about this thread...but as it has surfaced again.....

YES.....YES......YES......:O

Well done for a grand show!!!:ok:

Regards...
'J'Bloke:cool:

3xGreens
26th Feb 2006, 07:17
In Memoriam

Slam G: Passed away 25th February 2006.

Sadly missed by Matt and the boys.