PDA

View Full Version : Best place to eat in LGW

Guern
7th Sep 2005, 20:12
Hi

I don't normally hang around Gatwick south terminal long enough to need to eat but I will have to later this month.

Last time we eat at Est Est Est whic seemed ok passable steak anyway.

Any recommendations for a good lunch if such a thing exists in an airport!

Cheers

Guern

Tudor
8th Sep 2005, 09:51
Landside, Frankie & Benny's is standard fare but quite nice nonetheless. Failing that Wetherspoons opposite serves the usual suspects, again nothing great but it certainly fills a hole!

WHBM
8th Sep 2005, 13:33
Gatwick (S terminal at least) is one of the airports to go against the current grain and have the bulk of its food catering outlets landside (Gatwick Village) rather than airside. Once got caught out here, had lunch in restaurant then came out to find the security queue the length of the terminal and took over an hour to get through. Would have missed flight had they not held it for the large number of other pax similarly affected. So now I never use the landside facilities.

Wonder why Gatwick is so different in this respect.

Guern
8th Sep 2005, 18:18
Cheers I was thinking of airside for precisly that reason.

flyingbee
9th Sep 2005, 07:16
This (http://www.gatwickairport.com/portal/site/default/menuitem.4f1ec9e69de605fe78a5e186c02865a0/) is the BAA website for LGW. It very helpfully tells you what eating places there are airside, landside and at arrivals for both terminals.

So have a look for yourself and decide what you fancy.

My choice is Pizza Express which is landside. Not terribly exciting, but usually pretty reliable.

flyingbee

Globaliser
9th Sep 2005, 11:52
Until recently, Est Est Est was the pick of the crop at LHR T1 airside, so it's certainly the one that I would choose from the list of airside outlets at LGW S airside.

How long have you actually got? If you have time to go landside, don't forget that there are hotels attached to both terminals. I haven't tried it myself, but I hear that the Chinese/Asian restaurant in the Meridien (North Terminal) is very good - and it doesn't take long to get between the terminals by monorail (relatively speaking, compared to the likely time needed for lunch).

spiney
10th Sep 2005, 05:47
As I remember the Chinese in Le Meridien Gatwick probably ranks as the most expensive Chinese in South East England... along with everything thing else in Le Meridien.. 4 quid for a pint of Caffreys..

No, I'd go for a nice sandwich and a bottle of mineral water from Boots and keep your money till you're in a place where robbery is considered a crime rather than a policy...