View Full Version : Headsets: A problem

nomdeplume
12th Nov 2000, 02:40
Which is the best headset with independently adjustable volume?
Is it possible to have a booster of some sort fitted into the headset?
Are all headsets compatible? Impedence?
Are ANR headsets better/worth the extra money?

offshoreigor
12th Nov 2000, 07:17
Nomdeplum:

You may want to try a helmet instead of a headset. Either the Alpha helmet or a Gentex SPH-5. They are more expensive, but the noise reduction benefits are tenfold. If you go with a headset, then David Clark is your best bet for compatability.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, OffshoreIgor http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

John Eacott
12th Nov 2000, 11:15
David Clark have a headset with independent volume controls, I've got one in the cupboard at work but haven't used it for ages. Quite a few pilots I know use them, but they're noticeably heavier than the normal DC's, and not always as comfortable.

IMHO, anyway ;)

lmlanphere
14th Nov 2000, 00:13
I've been flying with the Dave Clark dual volume control headset and have been very satisfied- I'd recommend getting the softest cushion on top and those gel packs for your ears- comes in handy when you lose half your hearing standing too close to the loudspeaker
when J Mascis plays a solo through half a dozen Marshalls

eurocopter
14th Nov 2000, 00:41
nomdeplume;

Models have been answered above, I see you are UK based, and ask about compatibility.
You will encounter 2 different types in the UK; UK NATO (Brass Plug) or US NATO (silver Plug) you can get an adapter to use one headset in each type.
One of the most comfotable headsets I use is the BOSE X - it is noise cancelling and quite expensive but, in my opinion one of the best. As for amplifying, I think as a mod more or less anything can be done as a one off. It would be worth contacting someone like Headset services at Shoreham, I would imagine they would modify a headset to order. Not the cheapest option, but one headset should last a lifetime of private flying.

If you need any more information e-mail me and I will give you contacts etc.

nomdeplume
14th Nov 2000, 01:36
Thanks for your advice guys.
A trip to Shoreham might be the answer.
Is the consensus that ANR headsets are worth the extra?

John Eacott
14th Nov 2000, 13:43
Whilst there's a lot on the plus side to ANR, the downside is that it effectively cancels cockpit audio warnings! Also you'll miss the familiar sounds during start and shut down, which become second nature, but are missed when they're not there. Can be a problem if you miss the sound of a turbine rub on shut down, or start up with the compressor blades clanging like Flyco on caffeine, especially if you pay the maintenance bills.

Pinger
17th Nov 2000, 17:20
Having been subjected to DC headsets in light helos for years I can say with total conviction that they are one of the worst, nost uncomfortable makes around. Noise attenuation is poor and they are extremely heavy. Hideous things.

Peltor on the other hand are light, comfortable and have excellent noise attenuation. Thay are also much less costly than DC. Peltor have been very helpful to me in the past, and I am sure would modify to your requirements.

I would never wear anything else by choice, tho I have not used the active noise cancelling ones. Never felt the need to spend fortunes on batteries when I had my Peltor.