PDA

View Full Version : Egyptair

airmemphis
25th Mar 2005, 17:15
Egyptair are finally expected to place an order for upto 6 ERJ-145s to use on regional and domestic services. Deliveries should start late summer.

The order will be made through subsidiary, Air Cairo, which MS has a 60% stake in.

The airline decided to look into operating regional jets 2 years ago evaluating the ERJ-145, CRJ-200 and the Dash 8. They also leased 6 ATR-42s back in 2003 to test the feasability of operating smaller aircraft which proved a success.

Reports have suggested the Embraer jets will be ordered due to its competitive price, better economics and early delivery dates. In addition Egypt and Brazil signed an agreement recently to increase trade.

mutt
26th Mar 2005, 02:34
Middle East scores....

Embraer 2 Bombardier 0.

Mutt.

airmemphis
26th Mar 2005, 13:39
Which Middle Eastern carrier 'scored' the first point for Embraer?

MarkD
26th Mar 2005, 17:28
BBD seem to be pitching in SE Asia - a Q400 demo in QF colours is moseying around - see Q400 in WMKK topic in Dunnunda & Godzone for pic. F50 replacement comp. in Malaysia for one.

airmemphis
27th Mar 2005, 00:06
The Q400 seems to be doing well (in terms of sales) recently especially with the recent FlyBe order for a further 20. I think as fuel prices rise more and more airlines could go for it instead of the CRJ700 and Embraer 170.

Lil' Pilot
16th Apr 2005, 18:10
Anyone got some contact info of Egypt Air? I looked at their website, but couldn't get much info from it. Would be good news if they're really going to acquire Emb145's.
Thanks in advance.

mutt
17th Apr 2005, 03:21
AirMemphis,

It will be announced around April 26th... Unless politics and backhanders get in the way.... :):)

Mutt.

airmemphis
24th Apr 2005, 13:53
mutt, are you sure? I'm sure your source is confidential but I was given the impression it was to be announced end of May.

Even though all reports have stated it'll be the 50-seater, I am hoping they go for the Embraer 170 (but I know it won't happen)

airmemphis
25th Apr 2005, 20:26
Hopefully something should be announced tomorrow. Come on Egyptair take the plunge, SV already has...

Lil' Pilot
25th Apr 2005, 20:36
They've just ordered 15 EMB170's. The contract will be signed Wednesday, and the first Embraer wil fly end of the year if I am correct.

airmemphis
25th Apr 2005, 21:24
Yeah I know Lil' Pilot which is why I said SV has already taken the 'plunge' :p.

The problem with Egyptair is the amount of bureaucracy and red tape. I mean this order for regional jets was first announced in NOVEMBER 2002 (yes, November 2002) and now almost 2 and a half years later and decision is yet to be made. Now compare that with SV who announced their intention to order regional jets in October 2004...

As much as I hope this order will be announced tomorrow (as mutt has already said) I am extremely doubtful it will happen...I hope I'm wrong though.

Here is an extract from an article from Al-Ahram newspaper (Egypt's largest newspaper):

" We are close to signing a purchase contract of four small jets to expand our fleet and reinforce our regional and local abilities," explained Abdel-Hameed (Egyptair chairman). The airplanes, scheduled to begin operations in the summer, are to be purchased through AirCairo, which is 60 per cent owned by EgyptAir.

According to the EgyptAir chairman, the current fleet does not allow for a flexible performance on both the regional and local markets, as it consists only of medium and wide aircraft.

"The new 50-seat jets are suitable for domestic trips and can also perform successfully on short-range regional flights," he explained."

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2005/735/ec4.htm

It is interesting to note they plan to start flying the jets this summer!

I guess we will have to wait and see

airmemphis
26th Apr 2005, 17:12
Well I can't say I'm surprised an order wasn't announced....that's Egyptair for you

p.s. I am very disappointed

Robert Vesco
27th Apr 2005, 08:00
Well I can't say I'm surprised an order wasn't announced....that's Egyptair for you That´s because Saudi Arabian Airlines (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4483253.stm) is buying ´em instead! ;)

airmemphis
29th Apr 2005, 21:06
mutt, do you know what's happening with this order?

mutt
30th Apr 2005, 03:25
Nope its on the wrong side of the Red Sea for me to have any facts :):) Only rumors !

Now compare that with SV who announced their intention to order regional jets in October 2004

I wish that it happened that quickly :) Dont believe all that you read in the papers.

Edited to add.... rumors today that both the Egyptian and Jordanian aircraft selections will go to Embraer~! Time for Bombardier to do something about their marketing team!

Mutt.

airmemphis
30th Apr 2005, 21:42
"Edited to add.... rumors today that both the Egyptian and Jordanian aircraft selections will go to Embraer~! Time for Bombardier to do something about their marketing team!"

Well an Egyptair order for Embraers is not a surprise and has been 'confirmed' by a number of sources, however I had no idea Jordan was looking for Embraers. Am I right in assuming you are refering to Royal Jordanian's subsidary Royal Wings who operate Dash-8s?

The problem Bombardier faces are:
1) their aircraft are more expensive
2) they are unwilling to negotiate delivery slots.
3) Embraer economics are better than Bombardiar. The former have developed the ERJ-145 XR specifically for "hot and high" conditions (like in ME)

mutt, do you mind if I ask what the source of these rumors are? You could always email me. Thanks

airmemphis
30th Apr 2005, 23:27
...double post...

MarkD
1st May 2005, 03:30
mutt/airmemphis

BBD seem to be content to ride the US Regional orders mule rather than the midEast camel (NW Airlink to take a bunch + options of CRJ200) which of course is such a reliable order book these days :hmm: :rolleyes:

Maybe BBD are gunshy in the mideast because they are afraid Ottawa will meddle in their business like they are meddling in AC's (having just vetoed Beirut - again).

airmemphis
1st May 2005, 10:04
MarkD, fair point but the vast majority or Arab countries have normal links with Europe/N. America. Countires like Egypt, Jordan, Tunisia, Morocco and most of the Gulf countries have no 'issues' with the West which Ottawa could object too. I can understand if they ignored countires like Libya, Algeria, Syria and to a certain extent Lebanon but for BBD to shun all the others is not a good business practice and will bite them in the back side as Embraers market share grows.

MarkD
1st May 2005, 18:29
memphis

not really being serious about that point but who can tell with BBD, the Liberal Party and the Ottawa bureaucracy? :D

however, seems to me BBD are neglecting an established product in need of a refresh (CRJ, especially -200) and having left a sector they used to be best in (Twotter) they are now launching a product (C-Series) that has produced a big "so what".

All that and the so-called "tendering" for the C-Series when QC was always going to get it. Don't follow the bizjet scene so I hope at least that is going the right way!

mutt
2nd May 2005, 03:48
MarkD.

BBD were extremely serious about ME sales, they were offering some impressive discounts, excellent delivery schedules and even went as far as to re-engine the CRJ700 to compete in the ME market.

Judging by the letters and phonecalls, Ottawa supports them 100%.

However they really need to do something about their marketing people!

Airmephis... its a rumor network my friend... I cant reveal sources!

Mutt.

airmemphis
2nd May 2005, 12:39
mutt, it seems your comments about BBD are completely contradictory to my comments;

I said:

"The problem Bombardier faces are:
1) their aircraft are more expensive
2) they are unwilling to negotiate delivery slots.
3) Embraer economics are better than Bombardiar. The former have developed the ERJ-145 XR specifically for "hot and high" conditions (like in ME)"

You said:

"BBD were extremely serious about ME sales, they were offering some impressive discounts, excellent delivery schedules and even went as far as to re-engine the CRJ700 to compete in the ME market."

mutt
2nd May 2005, 19:39
it seems your comments about BBD are completely contradictory to my comments

Sorry about that but have you tried to buy aircraft from BBD lately? I'm talking about the CRJ700/900 series of aircraft, it might be different for the CRJ200.

Mutt.

airmemphis
2nd May 2005, 21:12
"Sorry about that but have you tried to buy aircraft from BBD lately?"

No, but I would if I had the money...lol

Seriously though, I just found those three points in article on www.zawya.com and they tend to be very reliable. They didn't state a specific model (whether CRJ200/700/900) but were referring to BBD in general.

G-CPTN
7th Sep 2005, 15:57
Anyone prepared to comment on the performance of Egyptair WRT reliability, comfort, safety and customer service?

DC10FAN
7th Sep 2005, 19:32
I flew with Egyptair in May on LHR-CAI(B777), CAI-LXR(A320) and LXR-LHR(A300). TBH I wasn't expecting much after reading alot of negative reviews but was quite suprised. First 2 flights departed/arrived on time, last flight departed @1 hour late and no info was given until 1/2 hour after scheduled departure time. A300 looked very worn(as did 777/320 considering their age) and steward wasn't seated when we started t/o roll. IFE basic but food ok for an airline meal. Seat comfort/legroom quite good on B777 not so great on A300; cabin crew polite/efficient.

airmemphis
7th Sep 2005, 20:42
Egyptair are in the middle of a major restructuring programme since May 2004. This involves an improvement of their services, fleet and ground services.

With the renewal of T1 in CAI (company's base terminal) in 2004 the ground service has been much improved and the opening of T1's Arrival Hall 3 a couple of months ago has been further enhanced this.

As for onboard service, the airline has very generous seat pitch in Y and they have amongst the highst cabin crew to passenger ratios of any airlines. The company is about to sell 40% of their inflight service arm (a first for the airline) which should see the launch of a new cabin (F/C/Y) in terms of seats and meal options. The latter is expected to be launched at the end of 2006.

As for the fleet. At the moment the airline is recieving brand new A332s which are replacing the ageing AB6 fleet. The 4th A332 arrived 3 weeks ago and the remaining 3 will arrive before February 2006 when all the A300s (passenger versions) will be removed. The A330s have been configured without F class (a first on their long haul aircraft) but with a larger and enhanced Business (Horus) cabin.

The airline is recieving a 13th A320 next month which is an ex-Shorouk Air machine (Shorouk were the charter subsidiary of the airline before they went under in 2003). In addition they are expected to recieve 4 new A320s next year.

Last month the airline also signed a contract with Boeing for 12 B738s (6 firm, 6 option) for delivery starting next summer.

As for safety, the airline has really cleaned up their act following the high profile incident in JKF back in 1999. The cause is still being debated between the Egyptian and US authorities.

hafez
7th Sep 2005, 21:00
Hey G-CPTN,

I fly Egypt air quite often but only when in Egypt going on internal flights, as DC10FAN said the airbus's look very old and shabby and the you have little leg room, the 777s are grand though. I have flown Egypt air from London to Cairo before and I will definitely not be doing it again, the 5 hours on the plane are hard and sometimes things seem rushed like when having your meal they seem to be around about 5 minutes after they have given them out to see if anyone is finished. The cabin crew are fine really, they can sometimes be moody but that's like every airline. As DC10FAN probably knows the airbus's are very very very hot as the air conditioning is never turned on full, and I have flown on their airbus's about 6 times all the times were very hot. The 777 is fine though although can be hot on the long haul flights. The seats are ok the food is ok and the service is ok. Personally I wouldn't choose EgyptAir for any flight longer than 2 hours but for internal flights around Egypt they are fine. Hope that can help :ok:

G-CPTN
7th Sep 2005, 22:26
Many thanks for the replies so far. Son of G-CPTN is to visit Egypt soon, (Cairo, Aswan and Luxor).

airmemphis
7th Sep 2005, 22:29
hafez, I fly Egyptair on a very regular basis on most of their routes and I would disagree with you regarding it being just 'ok' (but off course you are entitled to your opinion). They're not a top notch airline (yet) but they are improving by the day (compare them now to what they were just 18 months ago).

The Airbus fleet consists of 12 A320s and 2 A321s (the other 2 A321s have been wet leased to subsidiary Air Cairo). 7 A320s were delivered back in 91/92, while a further 5 were delivered in 2003 with upgraded cabins and larger C class. And as I said a few more A320s are arriving over the next 12 months.

Starting from next summer their subsidiary, Air Cairo (who currently operate charter flights), will begin to take over Egyptair's domestic and selected regional services as the first of upto 8 brand new A318s (6 firm + 2 options) are delivered.

With the Egyptian authorities finally considering opening up the scheduled market to privates Egyptian airlines, we'll see Egyptair improve even further as they face stiffer competition on their home turf.

p.s. In my many years of experience with Egyptair I have only experienced a hot cabin (where the air conditioning was too low) back in 1988 on a B762 from CAI to JED

hafez
8th Sep 2005, 16:36
I have to say i am very picky on airlines alright, I dislike aer lingus too while other people think its great, i think i have just been spoilt flying BA, Virgin and Emirates to most places. It is usually on the sharm route that i find it very hot in the cabin, when going to luxor it isnt as bad and the same with the Hurgahda route but going to sharm is always very hot. Looking forward to trying Air Cairo next summer if i travel to Sharm or Hurgahda.

Hafez :)

DC10FAN
9th Sep 2005, 22:15
Hafez,

I did forget to mention that the A300 cabin was far too hot in-flight; B777 and A320 were fine though.

Airmemphis,

I flew ASW-ABS on a DC9 of Air Memphis in May; interesting flight with fighter-like approach at Abu Simbel.

FLIGHTEXPERT
17th May 2008, 21:11
Egyptair hass increased their flights to Spain this summer (08) , there will be a daily flight to Madrid (instead of five flights weekly), and four weekly flights to Barcelona (instead of three), in addition to two weekly flights to Lisbon; with a total number of 13 weekly flights to the region of Spain and Portugal .
Last year Egyptair managed to transport (57,691) passengers between Spain and Egypt, with a 33% increase in comparison to 2006.

cesare.caldi
24th May 2010, 18:42
Anyone have flew with Egyptair? Do you have any trip report? I will use Egyptair first time in June on MXP-CAI-JNB for World Cup.

BayState
24th May 2010, 21:35
Check your routing and see if they identify the equipment. A lot of Egyptair's long haul airframes might be described as 'veterans'. Mechanically solid so no issues there, but the interiors are not what you'd necessarily expect.
Example: my wife and I flew CAI-BKK for our honeymoon on what we had hoped was a fairly modern B777. Lets just say we're really glad we booked business class otherwise it might have been a very uncomfortable flight.

cesare.caldi
25th May 2010, 22:12
Mxp-cai A320/a321
Cai-jnb A330