PDA

View Full Version : Info on CPL(H) course

Crieff-ite
7th Sep 2005, 13:47
Just doing a break down of costs for the cpl(h) and night rating which I will be doing within the next 2 months.
I have use of a friends heli but it has no rnav kit.
I know that rnav kit is required for the skills test and therefore I will have to hire a different heli but how much of the actual cpl course and night rating will require the use of radio navigation equipment.
I've browsed Lasors etc but can only get a rough estimate, which will not be good enough for the bank manager.

Many thanks

Crieff-ite

puntosaurus
7th Sep 2005, 16:00
I've got a feeling from one of the AICs that the machine you're trained on has to be part of the FTO, unless you're the owner or part owner. Have you checked ? You may be able to persuade them to put your mate's heli on the FTO though.

On the VOR issue I do have a dim and distant memory that a GPS with VOR type display eg, skyforce 3, is an acceptable substitute, even though it doesn't work the same way. Do you have one ?

The flight training manual I have on file suggests a minimum target time of 3hrs Radio Navigation, but I can't believe you'd actually spend that long on it.

All this relates to the CPL, NQ is too long ago to remember !

Edited - just found the AIC (7/2004) and it relates only to helis on private CofAs so as long as it's public you may be OK. Still maybe worth checking with the FTO first though.

helicopter-redeye
7th Sep 2005, 16:03
I think it about 12hrs in the training phase. But may be that it is dispersed rather than a discrete period.

h-r:)

Curtis E Carr
7th Sep 2005, 21:24
At the risk of seeming extremely pedantic, RNAV stands for aReaNAVigation and refers to equipment such as INS, GPS KNS80 etc. What I think you mean is Radio Navigation equipment such as VOR, ADF DME etc.

Good luck!

jemax
8th Sep 2005, 07:29
Did the CPL skills test a month ago, in the test all they will ask you to do is track a VOR on a given radial. This involves tuning in, checking the morse is the correct code for the VOR, and then picking up the radial and flying it.

The VOR can be simulated using the GPS if one isn't available I gather.

If you are comfortable with this you really don't need to spend any time on it during the traing it's about the most straighforward part of the test

I have attached a link to a neat little VOR simulator

http://www.relia.net/~george/aviation/sim/

Any other questions about Skills test feel free to PM

Crieff-ite
8th Sep 2005, 08:35
Thanks very much for all the info guys. You've filled in all the gaps for me.
Looks like I'll be able to use the heli after all. Beers are on me if you're ever up my way.

Much appreciated

Crieff-ite

P.s. Thanks for the offer Jemax. I'll certainly be giving you a shout as and when things pop up.

Cheers, C