PDA

View Full Version : Sting in Cessna accident at Florence

newswatcher
1st May 2001, 11:45
Reported in several news services:

"Rock star Sting escaped injury when the small plane he was travelling in skidded off a runway while trying to land at Florence airport.

Sting, his friend and the two pilots were all unhurt, according to reports.

"The plane ended off the runway but Sting was not hurt and has left," a Florence airport official said. It is thought Sting and his friend left immediately after the incident for for his villa in the village of Figline Valdarno, just outside Florence.

The Cessna aircraft smashed through a fence after it skidded and eventually came to a stop 30 yards from the end of the runway. Flights from Florence were delayed for 45 minutes while the fire brigade removed the plane from the runway."

No mention of a "Police spokesman" though!

[This message has been edited by newswatcher (edited 01 May 2001).]

Iz
1st May 2001, 14:42
Hmm interesting, so first the airplane skids of the runway, but then it's reported to have come to a halt 30 yards before the end of the runway?

Unwell_Raptor
1st May 2001, 14:48
er...excuse me -

30 yards 'from' the end of the runway doesn't have to be 'before'. Since the a/c went through a fence, and since fences are traditionally placed after, rather than before, the end of the runway, might the report be about right?

Just being helpful.

Speed Racer
1st May 2001, 14:50
maybe 30 yards past the end of the runway.. i dont think there were any fences built on the runway!

Iz
1st May 2001, 15:03
Ah yeah that could be it! But still, they reportedly had to remove the plane FROM the runway. ;)

OLD_EGG_BOUND
1st May 2001, 15:14
guess it skidded off then back on again!

markbingo
1st May 2001, 21:11
Picture here.............. Looks like it had a very rough excursion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/music/newsid_1306000/1306669.stm

Skycop
1st May 2001, 23:34
Looks like a lucky escape!

Rumour is he began to sing "Consider me gone" as it went cross-country!

Airking
2nd May 2001, 01:16
Does anybody know what the weather was during the accident and what rwy they used ?
(I guess 05 otherwise they would have hit the street in front of thr 05).

Superpilut
2nd May 2001, 03:19
Looks like it's lying exactly at the spot where they just took apart this ATR last year.. Curious how long this one will stay!
I'd say it's 05. I'll ask some colleagues if they know more..

jagman
2nd May 2001, 09:17
Perhaps he was singing 'Let your soul be your pilot' or 'Fields of gold'....
Glad he's OK.

rolling20
2nd May 2001, 14:08
Story i saw in Dailytelegraph,cited it as a "LIGHT AIRCRAFT!"
The journo should visit our club.wish we had light aircraft like that down there!

Golden Monkey
2nd May 2001, 14:26
"Raaaawwwxanne, you don't have to put on the runway lights"

Nightstop
2nd May 2001, 15:28
I used to operate the 146 into Firenze a few years back on a regular basis. The runway is indeed shorter than I'd have liked but not a problem if you do a Percy Thrower! (he was a well known TV gardening program presenter). I believe a Meridiana 146 did much the same a few years back, a bit embarassing for a local based airline. Glad the pop star and crew are OK. Chow.

Avro'ansome
2nd May 2001, 17:25
Twr were reporting the wind as 'calm'.
One of our crews landed just before and report a tailwind of approx 10 kts on 05.
Funny how both wind-socks are located in sheltered areas ?.