PDA

View Full Version : Random crashing problem

Wedge
6th Sep 2005, 19:21
Hi,

New PC, new install of windows.

Crashing randomly causing immediate re-boot of system.

Was worse before, thought it might be caused by a USB device but not sure now.

The error details are:

BCCode : fe BCP1 : 00000005 BCP2 : 8660E0E0 BCP3 : 10397001
BCP4 : 856BA590 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

C: \DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4854.dir00\Mini082605-05.dmp
C: \DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4854.dir00\sysdata.xml

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

rickity
6th Sep 2005, 20:31
Hi Wedge

Firstly have a good look at all the connectors just to make sure, see if you can monitor psu voltages and tempretures for any further clues. you might find it useful to run memtest to realy check the memory out. make sure that the cpu heatsink is makeing good contact

if nothing forth coming then take it down to a bare bones system, remove anything thats not essential so your left with memory keyboard mouse monitor and a disk drive. if that proves stable replace devices one by one until you hit trouble again.

if not stable at bare bones then you need to swap psu, disk drive and possibly memory. and vga card.

if nothing found there your looking at the mother board.

make sure that your psu is man enough modern vga cards, mother boards and cpus are pulling a fair wack and the psu needs to be a debatable ( i'm sure others will help with detail) minimum of 450watts

hope you find the problem in the earlier steps as we don't all have spare bits to swap in and out.

Good luck

Rick

Wedge
7th Sep 2005, 09:53
Thanks a lot rick.

I will have a look, I do have a fair few spare bits to swap about.

The PSU thing is interesting, it is a 450W psu I got when I bought the case last year and I wondered if it would be enough.

It is a new video card and cpu which will be pulling a fair bit down.

I'll have a look, many thanks.

maxell
7th Sep 2005, 14:56
If you have more than one bank of RAM try removing one at a time, maybe you have a bad stick

rotorcraig
7th Sep 2005, 20:50
See this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160852) for my similar problem; new PSU resolved it.

Contains various tools / thoughts that may be of use to you?

RC

Wedge
10th Sep 2005, 12:06
Thanks a lot for the advice,

It's still happening from time to time. I suspect my PSU might not be up to the job, fortunately a new PSU won't cost too much.

SirToppamHat
11th Sep 2005, 20:51
Wedge

Suffered from similar myself recently. Followed the advice offered previously, but simply ended up going round in circles. Removed all my additional items (extra USB cards etc) and went down to a single HDD, which I wiped completely to remove all possibility of viral infection (there weren't any).

I ran a little program that came with my motherboard and it reported that the CPU (an AMD 2000+) was running too hot (63 degrees +).

I doubted this was the cause in itself, but it all looked a little mucky in there and I decided to remove the CPU and clean all the crud off the heatsink and fan. Whilst it was off, I also bent the heat sensor that sits under the CPU slightly away from the core of the chip. Re-assembling the whole thing, I was careful to re-install the CPU and heatsink with the proper conductive paste and I also took the time to clean out the fan of the PSU. Essentially I was trying to reduce the temperature of the CPU and also reduce the 'reported' temperature of same.

Switching the machine on again, I found that the BIOS was reporting the temperature of the CPU down at 43 degrees!!!

My machine now appears to be stable, and I have had no further problems at all. In some ways this is a shame as Mrs Hat had suggested that we get a new PC!

I suspect that either my CPU was getting too hot, failing and causing the machine to shut down, or the system was detecting that the CPU appeared to be overheating, and therefore shutting down to protect it.

Good Luck!

Regards

STH