PDA

View Full Version : SIA Cargo, FO Lifestyle Questions?

John Holmes
6th Sep 2005, 11:52
I have two young kids and wife and have an interview soon for the SIA Cargo FO position.

Can anyone give sensible advice as to the cost of living in Singapore.

I need to know if I can expect to rent a comfortable villa/appartment, send my kids to a descent western school and save a bit of cash at the end of the month on the FO salary.

Thanks....

Icebreaker
6th Sep 2005, 12:16
try this

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183214&highlight=living+in+singapore

feel free to PM me for more details :ok:

max767
7th Sep 2005, 09:58
If you'r flying for Qatar Airways you have to be aware that before SIA Cargo hires you they will send a fax to qatar Airways asking them some questions about you. If Qatar Airways don't anwer their fax you won't get the job that's what they will tell you on the interview (don't think that Qatar will ever answer their fax) + maybe you will be fired at Qatar Airways, they did it for less then that... So think about it.

mounster
9th Sep 2005, 11:12
Make sure you ask as clear as possible about SIN licence. Consider about your licence, whatever your licence is, CAAS will give you SIN CPL, unless SIA CGO hire you as a Captain. Here is e-mail from CAAS for your reference :

We recognise ATP licences from all ICAO contracting states, Besides having
a valid and current foreign ATPL, the applicant is required to acquire a
minimum of 3000 hours total flying experience out of which 1500 hrs must be
PIC (Pilot-In-Command) on aircraft certificated for multi crew operations.
He must also have a minimum of 10 hours flying experience in a multi-crew
aircraft or in an approved simulator within 6 months preceeding the date of
application for the issue of a Singapore CPL.

Failing to have the above flying requirements, will entail the applicant to
be issued with a Singapore CPL only.

neilb767
12th Sep 2005, 06:39
John,

I also have an interview with SIA Carog for F/O, but am somewhat concerened as to the promotional ladder, and if indeed one exists?

What did they tell you about upgrade to Capt?, and what is the average salary you are expecting?

Thanks

Cheers

millerscourt
12th Sep 2005, 07:52
neilb767

I see that in the past you had an interview with Dragonair in January and with Cathay in March in Vancouver and a second interview in May. What happened??

You have also enquired about Emirates and in July you said that if another DEC arrived at Gulf Air you would walk so we can assume you are a F/O with GF?

Now you say you have an interview with SQ Cargo as 744 F/0. Do you not realise that unlike GF who only take DEC's from time to time SQ have always had a DEC policy. If you take the job with SQ Cargo are you going to walk from SQ when the next DEC joins?? If so you will not even finish your ground school course.

I also think I am right in saying that F/O's who join SQ will only get a Singapore CPL regardless of how many ATPL's they have. Perhaps you should enquire at the interview what licence upgrade you will have to do as and when you get upgraded.

PS Whatever they might tell you about upgrade at the interview is only an opinion and could go either way. A bit like what GF probably told you before you joined them?

neilb767
12th Sep 2005, 10:20
Millers Court,

Yea cant seem to find the right place to go stomp my feet for the next 20+ yrs....

Interviews are turning into my hobby...oh well keeps the mind sharp.

But still with GF, until I play my wild card. Then it will be time to find another hobby.

Cheers

Dani
12th Sep 2005, 10:36
I agree with most facts that are listed here (about the rest I cannot argue...), but according to my experience CAAS does issue ATPLs if you are FO only, but fulfill the Capt requirements. This may be different in an employment with SQ, because the ties to CAAS are closer - but I doubt that they have other policies for different airlines.

We here have quite a lot of FOs with the green booklet, if they had previous CMD/Capt hours.

Cheers,
Dani

SIDSTAR
17th Sep 2005, 03:31
CAAS will issue ATPL if you have

ICAO licence fully valid and current
3000 hrs total
1500 hrs P1 (not P1 u/s) on a recognised multi-crew aircraft

If you fail to meet the above, you get a CPL.

They will sometimes require you to prove (letter from previous employer or CAA) that an aircraft like the Bandeiranta or Metro etc was actually being operated as a proper two-crew aircraft.

If you fail to meet the ATPL requirements you can sit the Special Assessment Paper for ATPL which is a paper made up of 50 questions from the full ATPL syllabus (same as UK CAA/JAA) with a selections of questions on Met, Nav General etc. You can fail this once and get another shot at it but that's it. Fail a second time and you've got to sit the full ATPL exams.

millerscourt
17th Sep 2005, 03:45
SIDSTAR

I guess that is one less thing that neilb767 has to worry about should he join SQ Cargo.The major concern would be can he risk staying as a F/O for the 5 years 8 months of the Bondage as nothing is written in stone as to an upgrade policy?

Effee
12th Oct 2005, 20:49
just a quest, what country licence do u have? FAA?