PDA

View Full Version : No more news copter???

canthover
6th Sep 2005, 08:44
Can anyone shed some light on the voice only traffic report in the morning on SABC2 - where's the 206 and Eon?

Jangys
6th Sep 2005, 09:42
Saw the 206 and Eon's voice on ETV this morning.......Morning show..

Latent Heat
6th Sep 2005, 09:54
Canthover.....you need to wake up earlier...:E

glimmerman_alpha
6th Sep 2005, 13:31
Eon is no longer running the Morning Live Chopper. There was a pitch for the new service in May.3 helicopter companies were invited...2 from Cape Town..... and it was awarded to a BEE company based in Joburg. Apparently the head of the company is the ex-CAA Chief-who left under a dark cloud:}

Fly Safe:ok:

canthover
6th Sep 2005, 14:50
Is the BEE company and ex-CAA chief on operating company? Hearing that the recently Base 4 departed Bonedome is part of this?? Somethings fishy here.:hmm:

glimmerman_alpha
7th Sep 2005, 09:05
I heard that the BEE guy is Trevor abrahams. apparently his "so called" company did flying for the SABC during the Zim Elections:confused: He has got 60% BEE shers where the other 2 parties had 45% and 40%...or something like that....

Parrot
8th Sep 2005, 21:41
Ok ...so if the TV2 Chopper business has gone BEE ... why is the reporter still on the ground ?
Vusi still trying to pass his comm ?

canthover
9th Sep 2005, 10:13
Seems like the scorpions need to look at yet another contract bedevilled with questionable awarding processes.

Uncle Trev certainly works his magic and with the Bonedome and wife as the operational side who would not give a contract based on the promises made. The Bonedome certainly does have the gift of the gab.

What can we expect as the outcome - a very smelly set of circumstances and the end result - NON DELIVERY.

Wonder how the person at the SABC who awarded the contract will respond - undoubtedly "But it all appeared above board and no I do not know the contractor personally".

Its time to start putting the screws on people like this to keep the aviation industry alive and untarnished.

Sir Cumference
9th Sep 2005, 16:42
Canthover, you are correct. As we have seen time and time again, it is very easy to make huge unsubstantiated promises with nothing but a supposed BEE connection as the way forward. I gather a Squirrel with all sorts of the latest equipment was promised!? Where was this coming from?

The SABC had a very professional team (Eon, Paula etc) providing a very professional service and now they have.....nothing!

The SABC should be asking loudly where the promised aircraft is with all the promised equipment. The government is trying to fight corruption and this is a perfect example. The names of the individuals should be made public as the same names are beginning to reappear in connection with irregular dealings.

I also understand that SABC's loss is eTV's gain. Good luck Captain dV

SC

Parrot
12th Sep 2005, 21:26
This situation (the disappearance of the TV2 Newscopter) is quite interesting and since its a media thing and very obvious to anyone who watches TV in the morning it is amazing it has not caused comment in the local press. Perhaps E-TV should cover the awarding of the contract in their 3rd degree programme.

ANVAK
13th Sep 2005, 13:58
Would appear that Bonedome informed anyone who would listen that he and the fired commissioner were starting 1 September. Now it is going to be 1 October. Where have we heard all this before... an industry being tarnished by fly-by-night operators.:mad:
Must say, can't wait to see Bonedome on TV - scary movie!

Sir Cumference
14th Sep 2005, 09:15
The great Bonedome and friend in Cape Town should get together. SA could have an aviation giant, with an airline taking individuals overseas at cut rate prices and helicopter operations with state of the art news gathering etc...... I think not!!

josh sitanga
14th Sep 2005, 10:47
Bonedome Br........???

I had the pleasure of meeting this charismatic b:mad: r in Africa. All false promises!

I was told that this man flew illegally without a Comm license for 15 years, and bull:mad: ed his way thru everything. Not a good reflection on South African Aviators and less good for your new Democracy.

canthover
14th Sep 2005, 13:22
This is indeed the infamous Bonedome we are referring to - the very one that led the Merriespruit team in the rescue of all those stranded people after the flood of mud - the very man that should have been prosecuted back then for carrying out commercial services and then was down in the mouth when he got caught out!

This man will not change and the SABC will feel the effects of his k..:mad: k. He has a poor track record and will certainly proove himself again.

An earlier response said I should wake up earlier! If this man does indeed start on 1 October - please someone let me know before, so I can lie in and enjoy my morning rather than watch in horror as the man demonstrates his skills, charm and charisma to the greater South African populous - who will undoubtedly lap every word up and view him as a national hero - the sole reason for him needing to present himself on national television. How sad!:confused:

Miragepilote
14th Sep 2005, 16:43
Is the little man upsetting the apple cart again in South Africa. He can't hurt a fly, how come everybody is so huffy???

hehehe :p

JetMaster
14th Sep 2005, 19:46
It is indeed a sad day in aviation when such a professional operation gives way to politics. With Bonedomes blurting around central it seems that he let it slip that his contingent apparently used Paula in their bid to get the contract by saying they had secured her piloting for their operation. After telling the world that she was going to fly for them, it now is clear that it was never the truth. Seems like Boney and his croney did whatever it took to get what they want! I'm watching E now....

ANVAK
15th Sep 2005, 15:18
Apparently Paula had some choice responses upon learning that these individuals had used her name (without her permission or knowledge) to sell their dicey operation to their buddies. I would sue them, were I in her shoes. But she's a lady and kept her cool - now flying happily with her old team for E-TV.

glimmerman_alpha
16th Sep 2005, 07:05
The other 2 CT based companies apparently had way better presentations and had all the equipment and aircraft ready-to-go within 7 days.

The contracted has been awarded mid June already to the ex CAA Chief's company and still no heli!:ouch:

Then again, this is Africa

:}

The above post shouldve been on the thread - No More Newscopter:confused:

boomarang
16th Sep 2005, 16:37
Hi Glimmerman_Aplha

2 companies from Cape Town and 1 from Johannesburg?

Do you know who the companies were from Cape Town?

What is the name of the JHB company?

Was Eon not asked to pitch? Seems a bit fishy if he was dumped so unceremoniously. Not even a fake competition!

ANVAK
18th Sep 2005, 11:49
Boomarang - don't know about Cape Town companies, but rumour has it that Hover D from FAGC were involved in the pitch. But it appears to have been a sham to cover up the nepotism involved between Trevor, Bonedome and their mates at the SABC.

boomarang
18th Sep 2005, 15:10
Hi Glimmerman_Alpha

Who are those Cape Town companies who pitched? Don't think there are many with helis who can shoot from the sky - cinematographically speaking. If there were, I ought to have heard about them.

Spoke to Dave from Hover D - absolutely not involved in the pitch.

Did Eon pitch? Why the cold shoulder from out national broadcaster??

Who are the BEE crowds' connections in the SABC??

glimmerman_alpha
19th Sep 2005, 07:16
Well, Eon did pitch, Base 4 and a new Cape Town helicopter company which has 2 contracts running smoothly.

The new Heli company does have BEE as I am aware but dunno about Base 4. They woulve leased the heli's from a Joburg based cpy....

boomarang
20th Sep 2005, 21:58
Just heard from SABC legal honcho that SABC has not awarded the Newscopter contract to anyone.

Has this anything to do with Eon suing them?

Life'sShort-FlyFast
21st Sep 2005, 08:24
Why am I not surprised?! SABC have lost a professional operation on a decision based on empty promises by a person who is 'well known' by most of the rotor industry in SA. Now they have -NOTHING!

Good luck to e-TV and to Eon. May his operation go from strength to stregth!

Sir Cumference
22nd Sep 2005, 08:47
Ladies and Gents, the 1st of October is rapidly approaching! The guys at Grand Central must be getting really annoyed at all the testing going on with the Squirrel in an effort to have it ready by the launch date.

I am sure that Miragepilote, seeing that he is so defensive of his mate, is no doubt assisting Bonedome to ensure that all of us doubters are proved wrong!

canthover
22nd Sep 2005, 12:39
Sir Cumference - is it a go for the Bonedome?

Yippeeeee - that means we get to see the "Screaming Eagle" (his self assigned fire fighting call sign) clad in his NASA suit, with matching Bonedome and nomex gloves, on TV - can't wait. I am so excited - I think I will wait on the hard stand at FAGC just to watch his "Right Stuff" pose as he saunters to the machine. Bet he's got those cute cowboy boots to match the cool outfit too!!

ANVAK
22nd Sep 2005, 15:10
I see you shiver with antici....pation! But I'm afraid it seems as though we'll be denied this awesome sight (and that voice just made for broadcasting) for a while yet. Appears that someone decided to sue the SABC and now everyone is running for cover while some searching questions are being asked....
Meantime I see Eon, Paula and Linda are merrily notching up hours - saw on E-News last night they flew over the riots at Delmas.

Miragepilote
22nd Sep 2005, 17:01
Hehehehe:p

I would much rather see a pretty little young blonde thing in a tight flightsuite and that doesn't include old Paula...hehehehe:p

but as far as being in business with him, I'm not, never have been either...

but he does know how to rock the boat....he always has....but as yet nobody knows how to play him at his own game...

and thats all it is, a game...

and he is only a little man...bonedome, spacesuite and all...

and he has all your attention....

Hehehehe:p

fluffyfan
22nd Sep 2005, 20:04
I should not respond......I should not respond........I should not respond...........aaaah :mad: it

Miragepilote......just had a look at some of your posts, you are either a moron, or on drugs.......or both.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :) :( :O :p ;) :D :cool: :rolleyes: :eek: :}
h ah ah aha hhaaaa hhaaa

seriously whats wrong with you.........do you like the funny faces on pprune

Do you work for the SACAA........if so that would explain it

boomarang
22nd Sep 2005, 21:21
Guys reading this thread made me dizzy. Too many companies with no track record pitching?? Only BEE ones not delivering??

Went to the (SABC) horse's mouth and heard the following:

3 companies pitched (No Base4, No Hover D)

All had some sorth of BEE speel.

1.Eon was one of the companies (accompanied by one black female and one white female at his pitch)

Another company had a leading Black politico/businesman as part of the team

The other Bonedome and the former Commissioner.

The SABC has since stalled the process as it has yet to offer a contract on the pitch. They did inform Eon that they no longer wanted his service. So one party at least got a response.

p.s. I also had sight of a signed leased contract for a heli which bondome has for this operation.

Why the delay at SABC?

A complaint from Eon?

No backhander offered as yet?

I think there is more to it than meets the eye in this case. Maybe the Scorpions should launch a pre-dawn raid ... starting at Auckland Park.

Sir Cumference
23rd Sep 2005, 08:13
This is getting more and more smelly by the minute!

Boomerang, thank you for the information, extremely interesting!

glimmerman_alpha
23rd Sep 2005, 15:43
Maybe this can clarify some issues:

The CT based company who had the senior black businessman at the pitch is Peninsula Helicopters. A New company who started in 2004. The guy is their chairman seeing that it is a PTY Ltd.They are currently operating in CT as far as I know.

Eon and his group did pitch as mentioned and we all know he went to ETV.

The the Chief and Bonedome got the "contract". I can confirm that they are suppose to start within the next 2 weeks.

Lets see

Fly Safe

:ok:

boomarang
23rd Sep 2005, 19:34
Now we are slowly getting there. The beauty contestants were:

1. Eon and Co.
2. Peninsula Helicopters
3. Phumelela Aviation Services

Negative, Negative Glimmerman_Alpha

The megaphone on the 4th floor in Auckland Park has been anouncing for some time now to all and sundry who cares to listen that the service is unlikely to start on 1 October as the legal department has yet to issue a contract ... much to the distress of the editorial staff.

Seems the inner machinations at the SABC are taking some interesting turns now with the appointment of the new group MD.

As I said before:

Has Eon's legal challenge some validity which bars the SABC from issuing a contract or ...

Is someone still awaiting a backhander for the deal?

Watch ths space;)

glimmerman_alpha
23rd Sep 2005, 21:15
Boomerang, I copy the negatives but thats how it was told to me, strictly by the SABC top floor. By Monday I will have the exact details on black and white.

As you say....watch this space:ok:

boomarang
26th Sep 2005, 19:56
Hi Glimmerman_Alpha

Any news from the top floor at Auckland Park??

Been sniffing around there myself, nothing specific on this topic

Did come accross something else related though

Newpaper article blustered "Blunders Dog City to City Marathon" and went on to among others to decry the media :mad: -up.

Then in Auckland Park, I heard more pointed comments about the

:mad:-up in the aerial coverage of the event.

Service provider: Eon & Co. (with or without BEE??)

Makes one think does it not? Or is this SABC honchos just covering their butts. :ok:

DualDriver
27th Sep 2005, 05:43
Boomerang

From what I understand the aerial stuff was not the problem, all good in that dept. One of the helicopters' igniter box konked out so the crew could not get airborne until just before nine.

I think SABC is trying to shift the blame, the aircrews did their job.

Deanw
27th Sep 2005, 07:51
It seems the SABC has overcome their heli-in-the-sky problem and has found a solution: stick a camera in a car!

Who knows is the footage is live or not :E

glimmerman_alpha
27th Sep 2005, 09:26
Havent had a response from the SABc as yet. Still pending. But something is keeping them from telling....:confused:

canthover
28th Sep 2005, 11:12
Yeh that car in the treffik is cool - pity we cannot see who the driver is. Probably the Bonedome, with matching NASA suite and gloves, oh and cowboy boots, keeping pace with the rush hour traffic!!!!

Nothing beats seeing it from the sky!:ok:

ANVAK
3rd Oct 2005, 07:30
Hey Glimmerman, you seem to have a Deep Throat at the state broadcaster - what's happening? Its now October and no Bonedome on our telly?

Life'sShort-FlyFast
3rd Oct 2005, 07:36
ANVAC, should that not be something that we should be thankful for??

glimmerman_alpha
3rd Oct 2005, 07:54
There is a internal audit being done on the way the pitch was handled & awarded...thats why there is no heli. Seems like the Peninsula guys might get it if the Bonedome cant come to the table when the audit is finished......:E

canthover
3rd Oct 2005, 08:52
Thankful for? - chuffed as cheese!!

But then to see his glowing face on the box in the mornings would be rather entertaining:E

Sir Cumference
7th Oct 2005, 10:03
So Gents, we are now at the end of the first week of October and no news copter. SABC continue showing footage taken from the road on a camera mounted on top of a vehicle. Presenters try to guess where the vehicle is and invariably get it wrong.

So what has SABC achieved? Absolutely nothing!

The grapevine says the proposed operator has been spending money before he has recievd it. Now there is the mess. I wonder if he will ever learn!?

SC

ANVAK
10th Oct 2005, 14:12
SC - I'd like to know as well. Perhaps the guys with the high connections at the state broadcaster could follow up on their infomation?
The rumour you refer to apparently has it that two floors of "the block" were bought and refurbed, with money still to be earned.
And yet no new ENG helicopter observed anywhere.

canthover
11th Oct 2005, 09:37
You say two blocks - the bonedome obviously has a teevee set and has watched too much of "The Block" or the Sunday morning program about refurbing one's possie.

Good luck to him - let him try squirrel his way out of this mess. The banks aren't as forgiving as the majority of the aviation industry.

But where's the traffic copter??:confused:

Updraught
11th Oct 2005, 11:34
Is this not a case of counting the chickens before the can fly? There is going to be a major forced landing in that household. Has the traffic chopper made it's appearance yet? Presently far far away and cannot follow SA teevee.

glimmerman_alpha
11th Oct 2005, 13:09
Hi guys,

I have promised an update earlier but I'm waiting for the broadcaster to confirm in writing.....May be some developments...watch this space:E

Sir Cumference
12th Oct 2005, 10:45
Thanks Glimmerman. Waiting with anticipation!!

SC

ANVAK
12th Oct 2005, 19:01
Well G-A, see whether your gen checks with mine: Heard this am that the State Broadcaster's board has thrown the whole thing out. No contract will be awarded (which avoids interdicts, etc.) and should SABC news still want a helo the process would have to be advertised properly and opened for tenders by anyone interested. Interested?
(Wonder whether the Bonedome - or "Captain R_B" as per another topic - will be tendering...)

Sir Cumference
13th Oct 2005, 06:39
ANVAK, amost certainly along with a whole lot more smoke and mirrors and empty promises!

Wonder who is going to pay for the palace now??

SC

glimmerman_alpha
13th Oct 2005, 08:53
Sounds about right. The sponsor has paid R5.5 million in ADVANCE for the contract preiod of the Newscopter and now THEY decide to put it off the track......ouch:\

A formal enquiry is being done to see what went wrong and where. As you know our government, this might take some time...but nobody answers the direct quetion....what went wrong, where????:}

So Iguess, only time will tell. I know for a fact that the sponsor is pretty f:mad: d off!

Fly Safe:ok:

canthover
13th Oct 2005, 09:04
You've got it all wrong.

With a title like Captain R. A. G. "Bonedome" B..... and an up front payment of 5.5 Mil, you will in all likelyhood find that the structure of the contract entitles him to legitimately keep the boodle and in that way has already paid cash for his casa de bonedome and between him and the caa chief they are smiling quietly while we all think his antics have finally caught up with him.

But we still have to ask the ? - 5.5 up front - thats a lot of money for a single flying approximately 1 hour a day five days a week. Somebody certainly got smoked.....:yuk:

If it was all a shady deal from the word go then it would be nice to see the scorpions march him out of casa de bonedome well shackled sent to be zumarized all all shaik'd up.....:ok:

ANVAK
13th Oct 2005, 10:50
Shocking figures you're quoting G-A!
I know for a fact that the previous operation cost the SABC far less than half of that - in fact I'm informed that E-TV currently pays less than half of that number for an extended stand-by service on top of the morning flights.
So somewhere someone obviously intended to make huge money - a fact to which the SABC board obviously was enlightened. Heads should roll - but this being SA it will probably just be swept under the carpet.
Now you say the sponsor has paid up front and there will clearly not be a service in the air soon - eish!
Methinks E-TV will score the high ground here. ;)

glimmerman_alpha
13th Oct 2005, 11:53
the 5.5m was paid to the SABC already at the beginning of the sponsor period about 3 years ago and it is suppose to run for 5 years.

Sir Cumference
13th Oct 2005, 11:55
If you consider the R5,5M paid in advance, that is HUGE! The sponsors must have been given a real yarn to pay that upfront! The service delivery has also been zero.

I have to ask myself what bonedome promised to justify the upfront payment. Aviation needs sponsors who are keen to reinvest in further aviation projects for the good of us all. My concern here is that a potentially good sponsor has most likely been burnt and aviation and all of us will suffer as a result.

glimmerman_alpha
13th Oct 2005, 13:43
Just to clarify guys... the 5.5 was paid when Eon started the project some time back. Now the Sponsor is trying to get some answer out of the brothers but....you know our state broadcaster:E

Sir Cumference
13th Oct 2005, 14:18
My apologies! I misread the above probably because I wanted to!

Not as bad as I thought however I wonder if the sponsors were in the loop when the work was placed out on tender when they had a service running that no doubt served their needs. Were they part of the deal to get a new operator in?

Still seems like there are LOTS of funnies!

saywhat
13th Oct 2005, 18:20
I'm absolutely surprised that this service even exists. Do we gain any benefit from knowing what the traffic is doing while lying in bed watching TV - I think not. I don't know of too many people with TV's in their cars. WHATS THE POINT????. Helicopter for radio, now that might work, however, I'm sure that 702 tried that before!!

Sir Cumference
14th Oct 2005, 06:57
Saywhat it is not only for traffic reporting but more for news from the sky so to speak. Any breaking news allows the helicopter to get there faster than any other means and stay on station bring live reports. The service did have some excellent breaking news stuff with Eon and Paula.

It is a large industry elsewhere in the world and falls under the Electronic New Gathering banner. I like to watch breaking news stories if I can.

SC

Banzai-blades
14th Oct 2005, 09:03
SC

" It is a large industry elsewhere in the world and falls under the Electronic New Gathering banner"

Is this not something that was actually forced upon a society of couch potatoes by some very clever businessmen/women, and then evolved into a pucca industry.

It is a fact that the country/ies where ENG is big business obesity and weight ontrol is also big business.

Not saying a potatoe mate, only a thought:ok:

ANVAK
15th Oct 2005, 10:44
ENG really took off with the now famous aerial shots of the O.J. Simpson car chase. Since then every serious TV station in the USA has aquired their own ENG machines or service providers. (Robinson even builds a R-44 "Newscopter" fully equipped ex factory).
Sky TV in the UK uses their chopper extensively. Aerial footage simply provides a great perspective to earthbound mortals - look at the Copper Chopper stuff on Reality TV.
It appears that the SABC is more keen on talking heads politicians and have just lost a great service. I seem to recall a number of events where "their" newscopter (now E-TV's) was first on scene with quite dramatic shots.
And now it would appear that E-News's line of "no fear, no favour" journalism will use the ENG service to its best potential. I say go for it! At least they have kept an honest operation and some good people gainfully employed...:D

ANVAK
29th Oct 2005, 11:36
Heard from a reliable source at Auckland Park today that Pumelela Air Services has now been blacklisted by the SABC - due to "misappropriation or misrepresentation of facts" or fancy words to that effect.
No more Bonedome on TV.
Reminds one of previous "misrepresentations of facts" by the gentlemen involved...:rolleyes:

MysticFlyer
31st Oct 2005, 01:35
Came in late here, apologies.

A short guy that once flew Tornadoes in the RAF....?

Well, I'll be darned if it is him, Brian I recall?

saywhat
31st Oct 2005, 04:56
Rubish, guys. I watch Morning Live regularly, and besides for one fire in Edenvale, no real breaking news was reported on. Anyway, only news breaking between 7-8 can be followed by news copter. Total waste of money.

boomarang
31st Oct 2005, 20:07
Hey ANVAK

You really seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this bonedome chap. Are you a competitor to the newcopter saga, someone he previously clapped commercially or just a jilted lover?

Your hotline to the top floors at Auckland Park suggests you wre lining up as well.

What is no misrepresentation of facts is the product bonedome delivered recently.

Did you see the aerial shots of the Currie Cup final at Loftus? Quality not hitherto seen on our small box from a heli. (not from Eon or any of the other competitors to the Newscopter saga).

Acknowlege quality work in aviation where it is due and then go and spin the rest of your rumours to satisfy your chip or whatever:ok:

Parrot
31st Oct 2005, 21:01
Booms,
So the pics of the Currie Cup final were great.... Ok so are the pics shot of boat Racing, Rallying .... etc etc... What is the point ?

At least Loftus is a big target and it stands still

Now the world does not stop if JHB doesnt have a news copter but it sure has been interesting to speculate why not. I guess if the SABC does not want one then this topic has run out of steam but somehow I think the place is poorer without one... and there is that much less work for fling wing jocs.

boomarang
3rd Nov 2005, 19:14
I was simply responding to the uncalled for slagging of Bonedome, who despite his mortal limitations has accummulated quite bit of quality aerial photographic flying in a heli for a wole range of international and local clients besdes the SABC. It seems some guys have been using a very real issue of SABC skulduggery to get at old bonedomeon on Pprune.

Meanwhile the real rot lies in that parastatal in Auckland Park where some very strange decisions around aviation services have been taken lately.

One cannot but conclude that the backhander "commission" has now become established business principles in the towers. :{

Sir Cumference
1st Feb 2006, 10:52
Any updates to this thread?

SC:hmm:

glimmerman_alpha
1st Feb 2006, 11:31
I heard that it might come up for tender again this year....seeing that the SABC now have new executives and that the previous people left...

Lets wait and see:E